German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Moderator who has gone to the dogs
14,619 Posts
Ummm the pictures that I have of my dogs "actually" working (herding and SAR) were taken by other people because I was working them, so they can't be entered.

G

·
0 Posts
I was very happy to see the photo of Kirby, the seeing eye dog, included in this months contest. I wish it had shown her actually walking with her blind person. The harness does give the idea though.

After hearing Patti describe what's been happening to GSDs in the seeing eye dog role it is heartwarming to have this photo and know that people do still spend the time and train dogs the way they should be trained for this rather than create mindless automatons.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I would love to post pictures of Kirby and her blind person, unfortunately I don't have any as we don't every get to see or meet them due to privacy rules at the Seeing Eye. I only have pictures of her with her trainer. I know some of the other dog guide schools are different, but The Seeing Eye is very strict about this. All we were told was that she is with a female college student in Wisconsin. Kirby was our 3rd Seeing Eye puppy and is a half sister to my Aster. (We are now on puppies 7 and 8 currently!)

·
Registered
105 Posts
Originally Posted By: GSDad
After hearing Patti describe what's been happening to GSDs in the seeing eye dog role it is heartwarming to have this photo and know that people do still spend the time and train dogs the way they should be trained for this rather than create mindless automatons.
Where is this thread? I would love to read it!

G

·
0 Posts
Originally Posted By: Aster
Originally Posted By: GSDad
Where is this thread? I would love to read it!
Probably long scrolled off by now. But you can ask Patti about it. She posts here as Brightelf.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Hi
the Seeing Eye dog picture is really touching and stands close to me.
I had trained my dogs is a school where trained the aid dogs for blinds too. I always feel warm looking them in work.
(and, I have a long coated girl, Roxie, she has as same ears as Kirby has.)

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
"Duncan on a work in the ELTE University, Budapest, Hungary 2005."

Just curious - what kind of work does Duncan do? He looks like he has a pack of some sort on him.

·
Registered
15,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
<span style="color: #FF0000"><span style='font-size: 14pt'> I have just deleted several pictures as the exceeded the 800 x 600 size limit. CHECK the size of your pictures before posting. </span>

Wisc.Tiger - Admin
Val</span>

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
We are in a program in the university, in the Department of Ethology.
The target of the research is the dog (animal) behavior. We are in this program for 6 yrs. Duncan's mom, Betty was one of the first dog starting many interesting tests there.
The equipment in Duncan's bag is an electro-cardiometer optimized to dog's heart. He wears it in work, it shows the excitement, shows the time etc.
Duncan loves this tasks, everybody loves him, he is in the center, You should see him entering the building. A screaming dog is running to the elevators

Here is a link about works:
http://etologia.aitia.ai/main.php?folderID=896&articleID=3844&ctag=articlelist&iid=1

·
Registered
4,972 Posts
Alex working hard checking for termites under the guest house...

Looks like no matter what you do you are not going to keep him from getting under that porch - LOL - too cute!

·
Registered
183 Posts
kirby is beautiful. i love the long hair. how wonderful she is a seeing eye companion. my gsd hasn't gotten her cgc as of yet, i need to have her tested, only had her a month. my cocker was a therapy dog for almost 7 years. boy, what a great thing to do and really taught her patience when my grandson came. good luck

·
Registered
7,924 Posts
CindyM - Pepsi has to keep re-digging this hole because *someone* keeps filling it back in!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts