German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever since we got our Sasha, people stop in the streets (sometime they even park their car to come to us ...) to see her. Many people just ask about her age and pet her. She is so sweet she makes everyone smile... until they ask where she is from. Then moment we don't list a shelter/organizations, their smiles drop and we become the worst people in the universe. Many move away from us like we were lepers or make snide comments.

Sasha was the result of nearly 2 and a half years of searching. Although my husband has had much experience handling german shepherds, Sasha is my very first dog and I made sure I learned as much as I can about dogs before we decided on one. We looked everywhere from Boston shelters to rescue organizations here in Rochester. Due to our work/lifestyle, we were unable to find a suitable dog (or missed out on a dog due to their adoption). We decided to start from scratch with a puppy. I could tell people this.. but its not my job to justify my getting a dog.

Now, I currently live in Rochester, NY where we have great adoption centers. I am a big supporter of getting a family member from shelters. All my previous cats and other creatures are from shelters. I've volunteered at many and always donate when I can. While I do feel that we should get the shelter pets before going for the breeder pets, I don't think its our job as people to judge or make people feel bad for getting a purebred animal. We promote positive reinforcement for training our pets, why do we have to jump on the negative train for our choices before we even understand why they were made? (Obviously this extends to all social aspects)

Has anyone else experienced this? Is this just a Rochester phenom?

·
Registered
3,400 Posts
There are always going to be people who are rude. You just have to ignore them, and know that you did what was right for you.

I purchased my current GSD from a breeder, even though I worked at an animal shelter and was heavily involved in GSD rescue at the time. I wanted a specific type of dog so I could do specific types of sport. I got a few snide comments, but I ignored them.
Sheilah

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
I think there is a portion of people who only buy dogs from breeders, that look down on rescue. I think it's partly due to the "my dog is purebred with a blah blah blah pedigree with blah blah blah titles in the lineage.

There is also a portion of people involved in rescue, who look down on people who buy from breeders. Again, I think it's partly due to "I saved this dog's life while you just killed a dog in a shelter because you didn't open your house to it"

Take the good with the bad, there is no "safe" place which is politically correct, all dogs deserve good homes and they all come from somewhere.

·
Registered
244 Posts
It's common the world over. When someone hears that you paid for a dog they tend to look down there nose and the remarks start. I too have many pound saves and rescues to my credit, but the last one came from a breeder because I was looking for a companion to be with me while I am ill. I will die from what I suffer from and that is just fine by me. Right now I have the unconditional love and affection of my GSD to get through the good and the bad days. Sometimes it is all I can do to sit in my chair and pet her or throw her toy, other times we can actually walk a little before I run out of breath. So who cares what people think or say, because you know in your heart that the dog is the one getting the better part of the deal. No matter where they come from living with people is a much better alternative than fending for themselves in the wild. I am just glad I can provide a home and love to my GSD for a while, while she is here on earth with me.

Wheelchair Bob

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Just brush it off.

My current two dogs are both shelter mutts. My next one will be a performance puppy purchased from a good breeder. I have very specific goals for that dog, and I'm not realistically going to be able to find a dog meeting my current criteria in the shelter system. So I'll buy one.

Anybody who wants to judge me on it will get laughed at heartily. I've been in rescue for years, and spent large sums of money getting assorted foster dogs healthy, adoptable, and placed in good homes. But, having spent years picking through dozens of dogs, I know I'm not going to find the specific type of sport prospect I want in the rescue system.

There's ignorance on all sides. Educate if you can, bite your tongue and move on if you can't. Life with dogs sometimes means dealing with a lot of unsolicited opinions from strangers.

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
I understand what you're saying, and I feel it too--I have a couple of clients who do rescue, and they are always trying to get me to take dogs. And if the perfect dog came along, I would--in fact, there have been a couple of times I've been very tempted. I love all dogs, however, I'm kind of a snob when it comes to my OWN dogs. As I run a business from my home, own several cats, a flock of poultry, and a small herd of dairy goats, I have specific needs regarding temperament. Therefore, I prefer to purchase a pup from known lineage so that temperament can be reasonably predictable. My breed of choice is the GSD, of course, though I would take any breed or mix that fits my needs, if it came right down to it. And I will certainly feel guilty telling my rescue friends that I bought a purebred puppy from a breeder--can't help it.

·
Premium Member
3,779 Posts
You always get some of that. I explain to them that the chance of me getting the ideal dog for the work we do is low enough when doing the research and getting from a professional breeder. I explain that sure, there is a chance a shelter dog or rescue could be just as good or better, but that chance is exceedingly lower than the likelyhood that the dog will wash out in short order. I show them some of the work we do, and they usually understand at that point. You always have some hardcore "unless all shelters are empty there should never be a purebred litter born" types, but you can't do anything about that.

People often tend to wear the "I saved a dog" badge with great disdain towards others, just like people do with "I drive a hybrid", and <insert whatever here>. The southpark episode about all the hybrid drives clogging the city with smug comes to mind.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Haters gonna hate!

Just ignore them. We got from a breeder, but we always donate to the VS GSD Rescue :)

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Yep. But there's nothing wrong with someone who wants to know where the dogs came from, who the parents were, and that they were well cared for, healthy pups. Especially if you plan to do sports, or are looking to possibly breed down the line.

If I didn't go to a breeder I'd go to a shelter, and there's nothing wrong with either choice. The only thing I look down on is people who support BYB's and puppy mills.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
You know what they say about opinions, just like "fill in the blank" everybody has one.
My next dog will be a rescue but I will only rescue a GSD.

·
Registered
482 Posts
My scenario went backwards, I was looking for a GSD puppy and ended up with a 1.5-2yr old Shelter dog. There are days I wish I had gone the puppy route and days I am so glad he is with me. I dont think one way is right or wrong, all of my pets are rescues (even one from a breeder my Samoyed) but they are all PB.

One of life's simple lessons: What others think of you is none of your business...

They are not responsible for your dog, so who cares ... You did what you needed to do for you and probably the best decision considering its your first, unless they are a GSD owner, they just dont understand how much goes into making them the dog that people admire and how hard it can be.

·
Registered
9,727 Posts
All my current dogs are from breeders and I got them as puppies. When people ask me if they are rescues I tell them that I am happy to say that these dogs have never encountered misery. Then the conversation stops.
I don't care what they think. I have wanted a dog like WD since I was 8 years old and I finally found him but he happened to be born with a good breeder and I had to pay for him. I am sure there will be mutts on my way, needing a good home and if they work out, they can stay.
I am starting to dislike the word "rescue". It seems to be the thing to do. In the past rescuing meant something like risking your life to rescue a dog from drowning. Nowadays it means going to a shelter to buy a dog and be a "hero", which is an other inflated term.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I wasn't expecting snooty attitudes towards my non-rescue dog. The first time someone asked what he was and where I got him, I told them, and all I got was an, "Oh...good for you." and they turned and walked away. And it wasn't the last time I got that kind of response. I felt REALLY REALLY bad at first...still not sure what the heck to say when I get asked why I got THIS dog and not a rescue. Isn't owning a dog a labor of unconditional undiscriminating love? The dogs don't know who is a rescue and who is from a breeder, and if they did I doubt they would care.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
I felt REALLY REALLY bad at first...still not sure what the heck to say when I get asked why I got THIS dog and not a rescue.
Don't feel bad. Your only obligation is to your dog, not to the opinions of strangers. You don't have to say anything.

If you choose to say something (and it's a choice!), well, presumably you had reasons for making that particular decision, and if you feel like it then you can share those reasons with whoever's asking. And if you don't, then you don't have to, because it really isn't any of their business.

Choosing to buy a responsibly bred dog is nothing to be ashamed of. Choosing to adopt a shelter mutt is nothing to be ashamed of. In either case, in my opinion, people can and should be proud of making that decision.

If somebody bought a BYB or pet store dog because they didn't know better, well, okay, that's nothing to be proud of. But being ashamed of it is just wasted energy. Chalk it up as a learning experience and move on. Your only obligation is to the dog.

If somebody bought a BYB or pet store dog and they knew or should have known better, then I would judge that person (and I will totally admit that! I will judge them SO HARD!) but you know, it's still not my life and it's not my dog and in the end I'm just some stranger standing on the outside. So whatever.

·
Registered
75 Posts
The worst thing is when your close friends find out what you paid for the puppy you get from a good breeder and almost make you feel ashamed. I finally said, "this is what I want and I can afford it" that shut them up. I like most of you on this thread had specific things in mind for my dog and a good solid temperament was at the top of my list. I certainly admire those who rescue dogs from horrible situations but they should not condemn those who prefer to purchase from a respectable breeder.

One size does not fit all.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I get this a lot, too. I have many friends who are very much into rescue. I just tell them, well, I want what I want, and this is what I wanted! Thanks.

On the other hand, I have scores of people who fawn all over my pup oo'ing and ahh'ing wondering what she is. I am happy to be able to introduce an unknown breed to many!

·
Registered
14,028 Posts
Try saying this next time:

"After 2.5 years of searching, research and referrals we selected a breeder who exemplifies the term 'Responsible Breeder' and has the betterment of the breed first and foremost in mind when selecting breeding pairs."

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Yes all the time. Explaining the sports or work I want to do with the dog helps some. But now my husband just got a pure bred cane corso puppy. And then we cropped her ears. People are going to lose their "you know what." Oh well. I'm also involved in rescue and foster dogs when I can.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
91 Posts
You never know what you're going to get at the shelter. I rather get a puppy knowing the probable temperament than get the unknown and going through the drama and guilt trip of having to take a dog back to the shelter.

I've had 3 dogs in my life.

1. A stubborn and aggressive 6 month old pitbull mix from the shelter that my father could not control (He is very assertive and had trained dogs his entire life). He didn't show signs of aggression until two months after getting him. He ended up back in the shelter.

2. A PB Boxer that dad got as a replacement. Best dog in the world. He lived with us for 7 years, but he died due to cancer.

3. My current GSD. This is actually my first dog as an adult. I had some troubles, but he has become the perfect dog.pp

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

1 - 20 of 58 Posts