German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Judge judy ruled in favor of the defendant today in a case where Lab on a retractable leash was attacked while walking by a lady with 2 leashed Pit Bulls .
Judge J said she couldn't fault the lady with the Pit Bulls because she initially had the pits on a leash under her control vs Lab lady was on a retract leash (I hate those leashes) and that the extra 2 ft of leash didn't imply control over her Lab dog.

My question is : To me if a person could not pull her on dogs off or away from another dog do they really have real control over the dogs?

Agree or disagree? Tell me your reasoning ?

(This is for interest and discussion only)

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
[EDIT] Removed. I totally misread your post...

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Nothing wrong with retractable leashes - the issue as always is irresponsible owners. It is irresponsible to allow your dog to go up to random dogs, leashed or not. I didn't see the show but would say it sounds like the Lab owner wasn't controlling the dog, which is what led to the fight. I absolutely don't see how the APBT owner would be at fault for the Lab owner's failure to control her dog.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Having had first hand experience with keeping bullies.... I would say the pit's were not being closely enough controlled. I have not seen the episode being refrenced, but I think it would be a tough call. The rectracable leash isn't not a very solid way of controlling a dog either, but then again, a lab is less likely to be agressive unprovoked than a pitbull. Two pit's on cable tieouts won't even contain those dogs.

Pitbulls have a shorter temper and are more likely to do some damage. I can easly visualize a woman (even a heavy woman) being taken out for a brisk drag by a couple pits. (imagine a woman flapping in the breeze behind a couple of dogs on a dead run) Should have never happened.

Walking any number of multiple dogs on leash isn't very wize if you can't restrain them. I take my two pyrs out, but I am fully aware that the two of them could take me out for a brisk drag since the combined pulling power of the two of them is close to 500 lbs.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
She made the right call. Owners should not be held liable if someone decides to let their dog approach your dog without permission.

There's nothing wrong with retractable leashes. I use a 26 foot one. When there's nobody around, my dog can move about freely. If I see someone walking by themselves or with a dog, I can either physically reel in my dog, or just call him to me and then lock the retractable leash so he only has a foot of leash left. I've seen people walking their dogs irresponsibly even with 6 foot leashes.

Where I live, letting a retractable leash extend beyond 6 feet is illegal. If your dog is not on a leash that is a maximum of 6 feet in length, it's considered off-leash and you'll get a ticket(if the officers cared, that is). But if that case was where I lived, the owner of the lab would have easily been at fault and also be slapped with a fine for having a dog off-leash.

·
Registered
508 Posts
if you are with your dogs, and can't get them away from another dog, you do not have control over the dog- no matter what kind of a leash they are on.
That's what I should have said. :laugh:

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
@Davey and King, That's my feeling. I was surprised that she didn't have them split the cost as she has in the past. but she clearly explained it was because the Pit owner had them on a leash (under control)
I will give you an example of why I am curious: I adopted my Great Dane (in 2000) and found out quickly that he had issues. I had him ON A SHORT LEASH and I told the kid to go away but she kept walking toward us fast and Max leaped forward to bite her. I side tackled him because he was already 7ft long and I took him down fast.
Now since I had him ON A LEASH, and he had actually attacked her, I wouldn't be at fault for not keeping my dog under control?
I believe if I am out with my dog that I am fully responsible for said dogs actions.

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
The woman with two pits had them on leashes and sitting beside her when the 40lb mix breed came up and bit one of them. The mix started something it couldn't finish and its owner was whiny that she got caught with an out of control dog.

Though in the beginning you could tell that the judge really, REALLY wanted to find a reason to award the owner her vet bills in the beginning of the case.

Judge Judy is very anti-pit bull and anti-Rottweiler.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think most people are, its a shame; since many little dogs bite, but few are reported compared to larger breeds ( In my opinion)
I have worked in shelters and have been bite many times by little yappy dogs ! LOL

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The woman with two pits had them on leashes and sitting beside her when the 40lb mix breed came up and bit one of them. The mix started something it couldn't finish and its owner was whiny that she got caught with an out of control dog.

Though in the beginning you could tell that the judge really, REALLY wanted to find a reason to award the owner her vet bills in the beginning of the case.

Judge Judy is very anti-pit bull and anti-Rottweiler.

Oh oops, it wasn't a lab? I thought it was..glad some one watches JJ too hahah

·
Registered
32,033 Posts
I did not see it.

I have a bunch of dogs.

I do not take my bunch of dogs out for a walk together.

I think that you have better control and can avoid these situations if you walk one dog at a time.

I know there are people out there that can walk a bunch, or a pair ok.

If the miscelaneous dog came up and attacked the pit, then no way should the pit owner be liable.

But the pit owner COULD have probably avoided any problem if she had just one dog out there at a time.

It would be difficult for me to pull two of my shepherds off an offending dog. But I could easily maintain a safe distance from an invading dog if I had my attention on just one dog. This is why I do not try to walk multiple bitches.

I could see how someone would have a hard time pulling off two pitts or two rotties too.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yeah, the pit bull owner said the other dog bite at her dogs first but the other person denied it...the truth is somewhere in between, I am sure.

yes, I have a lot of dogs too. I rarely take more than one dog out at a time, and where I live we have had several stressful situations with loose dogs running up on our walks trying to start fights. I have started bringing a walking stick with us ,when we walk the neighborhood.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
I did not see it.

I have a bunch of dogs.

I do not take my bunch of dogs out for a walk together.

I think that you have better control and can avoid these situations if you walk one dog at a time.
I take three or four sometimes. And have had that many with me when charged by an off leash dog. I actually had a harder time when charged by an offleash dog with one of my dogs than I have had so far with multiples. I suspect it's because one lone dog isn't as likely to get too close to four strange dogs together but they are willing to take on a single strange dog. But none of the times my dogs and I have been charged by loose dogs were in any way our fault. My dogs were leashed on a public side walk and the other dogs have left their yard, sometimes even crossing streets to get to us. It was the fault of the irresponsible owner who wasn't properly controlling their dog.

We take the dogs in the summer to a dog friendly hike and bike path. One day we had a couple of dogs and were getting out of the car with them. The dogs were still in the car waiting for their leashes to be attached when I see a Sibe at my side trying to push into the car! Of course my dogs didn't take kindly to that and starting barking at the dog, then that dog starts getting defensive. The dog was at the end of a retractable leash, about to get into a fight with my dogs in the car! Had one of my dogs bitten the dog, it certainly wouldn't have been my fault and I don't think any judge would disagree. Like many posters here though, when I yelled at the woman to get better control of her dog, she replied saying that I shouldn't bring aggressive dogs to the bike path. :help:

·
Registered
655 Posts
I use retractable leashes for my toy and mini poodles. I would not want to use one on a large dog. The small diameter leash would too hard to control if the reel slips.

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
I hate retractable leashes, as well. But I admit, I totally lack the cordination to; 1) recognize danger 2) retract the leash 3) lock the leash in place 4) control dog or dogs fast enough to avoid the danger.

I'm more of the old school ways - normal leash or long line. Both I can utilize without too much thought process.

·
Banned
1,483 Posts
A warning to those who use retractable leashes:

My stepfather is a lawyer and he has had four clients that have had their retractable leashes SNAP and hit them in the eye, causing blindness in the eye.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
It would be difficult for me to pull two of my shepherds off an offending dog. But I could easily maintain a safe distance from an invading dog if I had my attention on just one dog. This is why I do not try to walk multiple bitches.
How do you propose to maintain a safe distance when the other dog is on a long retractable leash with no control, or is off leash? Should you just never walk your dog if there is a chance they may be aggressive to out-of-control dogs?

It can be very difficult to avoid a situation when an off leash dog (or a dog on a long retractable leash) wants to come up to your on leash dog even if you are only walking one dog.

Personally I think even if the dog on the leash started the fight, the person with their dogs off leash is at fault for letting them go up to an unknown dog. Not every dog wants strange dogs running up to them.

·
Registered
32,033 Posts
How do you propose to maintain a safe distance when the other dog is on a long retractable leash with no control, or is off leash? Should you just never walk your dog if there is a chance they may be aggressive to out-of-control dogs?

It can be very difficult to avoid a situation when an off leash dog (or a dog on a long retractable leash) wants to come up to your on leash dog even if you are only walking one dog.

Personally I think even if the dog on the leash started the fight, the person with their dogs off leash is at fault for letting them go up to an unknown dog. Not every dog wants strange dogs running up to them.
You can battle about money and blame and negligence until the cows come home. At the end of the day, I would feel awful if my dogs were in a bloody fight while I was unable stop it because I had too many of them on my hands. I walk one dog at a time, and was accosted once by a loose pit bull and a few times by dogs held by invisible fencing protecting their property, and have never had a dog injured while I was walking it.

If a "friendly" but uncontrolled lab or golden bounds up to your two shepherds while its clueless owner is hanging on to a retractable lead -- and shouts over -- "She is friendly" and your dog reactive dogs attack and cause serious injury, I would be seriously surprised if the courts found in your favor. I think they should find in your favor, as it would not have happened if the friendly dog did not come right on up and in, BUT I would not count on it. AND, it also would not have happened, if with only one dog, you could hold it back, kick the dog away, get out of range.

If you are walking dogs that are well socialized with people and dogs, and have no dog-aggressive issues or leanings, than walking more than one might be ok. But who takes two dogs with probable dog aggression, that they cannot control if there is an issue, out together. That is crazy.

Most accidents happen because of a series of events. The cart was in the aisle AND the guy was not watching; the kid did not look both ways, AND the driver was talking on the cell phone. If one of these things were not the accident would most likely have been avoideed. The woman had an uncontrolled dog on a flexilead AND another person had two dogs that she did not have good understanding/control of.

I KNOW that dog aggression does not equal human aggression, but bicycles might be considered attractive nuisances to dogs. What if a child on a bicycle when by the lady with the two pit bulls? What if they saw those as something they needed to chase and take down. If she could not pull them away from a dog, could she pull them away from a cyclist?

If you cannot control the two dogs in ANY situation, than take ONE out at a time. Reduces the risk of accidents happening, even if a simple dog runs up and says "hi."

1 - 20 of 28 Posts