German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello to all,

I need a little help here, I attached an x ray which been taken last week.
puppy age 15weeks. German Shepard show line, long hair.

he has
1-pain on both hips manipulation especially during extension
2-not walking fine especially when he running( run like a rabbit)

this is what the Vt said about his case:
bilateral hip dysplasia
mild for the left one and moderate for the right limb.

He wanted me to do the Juvenile Pubic Symphysiodesis (JPS).which has to be done this week, otherwise it will be very late.

same time other breeder asked me to wait till he is 6month or more.

any advice please.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
I'm sorry, I don't know anything about this, but I was curious and read a couple of veterinary articles:

"Patient age and severity of CHD at the time JPS is performed is critical to a successful outcome. Almost all beneficial effects are eliminated in dogs with a distraction index (DI)>0.7, or if the procedure is performed after about 24 weeks of age. Optimal age for JPS is probably around 12-16 weeks of age, so determining if a dog is an appropriate candidate can be difficult. Most dogs that are the best candidates do NOT have existing clinical signs, so some test for laxity is required. In general, a puppy that has a positive Ortolani sign and/or a DI of >0.4 is a reasonable candidate."

"Juvenile pubic symphysiodesis (JPS) surgery is a prophylactic procedure performed in puppies 10 to 20 weeks of age that have been diagnosed with hip dysplasia as discussed in last month's column."

I would say your breeder might be being overly conservative and that it sounds like it should be done at a much younger age than 6 month?

Check out this very explanatory webpage: https://www.animalsurgicalcenter.co...jps-a-preventative-surgery-for-hip-dysplasia/

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Sorry...bit more info here...from the few more articles I read...(I can be a real Nerd!)

The JPS is effective only in certain conditions. I read again and again that when a pup is showing clinical signs (you said your pup was already "bunny-hopping"?) the JPS is not very effective. I'd check/ask with your vet, but vet did say the HD was mild/moderate so that seems good...

After age 6 months, it will involve a different operation called TPO? That's probably what your breeder was talking about...
again, TPO works best under certain conditions and won't really work under certain other conditions (like, in dogs who have already developed some osteoarthritis). TPO is a bigger operation (multiple incisions), harder recovery, and more risks of damage to sciatica (spine)...

Hopefully other people here know more, I was just reading the veterinary articles.

Anyway...I'm sorry your pup developed this at such a young age!

·
Registered
513 Posts
I'm so sorry you and your pup are going through this!

These radiographs are not ideal. The dog is not straight (pelvis is tilted) and the knees are either missing in the picture or not rotated inwards correctly. I don't know if that would clear your pup, but it would make it easier to see how bad the issue is. I would seek out a vet that will correctly postion your pup for xrays for a second opinion. An extensive surgery should warrant one, IMO. Especially if a vet is rushing you to make the decision.

Reading the article GSDChoice posted, it looks like they use a distraction xray to determine if JPS is going to be effective - looking into the joint with the hips flexed outwards rather than straight down.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts