German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before anyone says this is a normal behaviour with dogs to me it did not look like a play and more like a threat.

My dad has this border collie mix name Sammy that they rescue 5 years ago. They humanized this dog to death to the point that he started to have fear aggression and IS dog re active. He'll bark, growl and even act like he's going to attack but doesn't. You think Sammy was bitting but he's all noise and no bite. I have given this dog way too many chances by having Josie meet Sammy. The first time they met Josie was only 9 weeks old, he came charging down towards her and flips her on her back doing the stare down and would act like he would grab her neck and did a few growls. I told Sammy to get off of her and i did stick my foot up his butt a few times. I removed Josie and took her back home. All this was happening during Family Reunion last September. I pretty much stopped bringing her over to meet Sammy. My dad and step mother would just make up excuses for him like he was abused yada yada. I don't care if your dog was abused this was 5 years ago he should have been over it a long time ago!!!. He'll even bark at you if you are holding something in your hand. He even lunged at small children. But they just blow it off saying He's all talk and no bite.

Anyhow couple days ago i thought maybe things would be alittle different this time since Josie is older and no longer a tiny puppy, thinking maybe Sammy has issues with pups. To my surprised in the beginning Sammy and Josie instantly played, Sammy showed no aggression towards her....

About an hour later i hear a whole bunch of grumbling like you'd hear out of a dog that is fighting, i look over and i see Josie on her back and Sammy has her pinned down, grabbing her by the neck and growling at her. I clapped my hands and made a whole bunch of noise telling Sammy to knock it off. I call Josie she gets up and runs towards me. At this point Josie started to look annoyed so i redirected her away from him and we went into the field to play fetch for alittle bit to see if Sammy will cool off. We come back Josie gets a drink out of a bucket, Sammy comes up from behinde her and starts humping her!!! i shoved him off of her and told him NO!. Maybe some one here allow their dogs hump other dogs but i personally find that rude and don't allow humping of any kind whatsoever, even my trainer agrees that humping is rude.

In the end we cut the visit short and went home. Sammy has no boundaries and is free to do whatever but a part of me hope that they have fixed his problem. It's almost like Sammy is Jekyll and hyde. One minute he's nice and the next minute he's aggressive. My husband says he wishes for once Josie would bite Sammy in the face. But i told him i don't want to create a dog aggressive dog, although it'd be nice if she stood her ground.

So much for trying to socialize Josie around normal dogs :rolleyes:. We'll be going to my trainer's place where they have a bunch of well behave dogs in their facility so i am hoping what Sammy did to her she forgot about it. It's been awhile since i went out socializing her because of her EPI thing so we are picking it back up again. Josie is pretty much done being around my father's dog.

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
Sounds like Sammy needs ALOT of retraining. Poor Josie. I have to say I'm thinking the same thing as your husband lol! It would be bad for her to be aggressive, but maybe he'd learn. Either way, I hope all goes well at your trainer's place :)

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
Sounds like sammy is showing his dominance over Josie to me. Pinning Josie down and humping are all signs of dominance. The whole humping thing might seem rude to us humans, and I agree that behavior should not be allowed, but it's Sammy's way of showing Josie who's top dog.

If I were you, I would not allow Josie and Sammy to play anymore. Luckily, josie gives way to sammy's dominance. She allows the humping and submits by rolling on her back. Only problem is Josie might decide not to submit one day and that's how dog fights happen.

I'd end Sammy and Josie's playdates for good and keep her around more socialized and less dominant dogs. All it takes is one attack or fight for fear issues to start and I'm sure that's the last thing you want.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I'll agree with Lucy Dog in that at least in the case of Josie, it sounds like Sammy is displaying dominance, rather than fear aggression.

My brother-in-law has a bully for a Border Collie and I can definitely relate to the Jekyll and Hyde situation. He can be playing around with a group of dogs with no problems, and then suddenly you can see his body language change...in a split second he will freeze, or stiffen, and you can just feel that something is about to go horribly awry. He will do this with any dog; whether he is on his home turf or foreign land doesn't matter. He attacked my Chaos a few times when Chaos was a pup (Chaos was about 6 months, the BC Shadow about 10 months), so we stopped bringing Chaos around. They've run into each other a few times at family gatherings, and Shadow always ends up bullying every dog present. He's been a pain in our :censored: for quite some time. This is still occurring as recently as a few weeks ago. Chaos is all grown up now and about 3 times Shadow's size. Shadow didn't attack, but approached Chaos in a very slow and deliberate manner. My ball loving/hoarding GSD dropped his ball and turned his head, letting Shadow take it without question. I think it may always be this way. Maybe for Josie as well, so I wouldn't suggest exposing her to the influence of Sammy on a regular basis, or he may just dominate her over and over and over.

As a cheerful aside, the same day a few weeks back when Shadow claimed Chaos's ball, Shadow went after my little BC while she was chasing after a different ball. They have never really interacted much, since she's only been with us for about a year and we generally try to steer clear of Shadow. Anyway, there was a lot of snarling and charging and gnashing of teeth, but in the end it was tiny little Echo standing over cowering bully Shadow and growling. The whole encounter lasted about 4 seconds; I was en route to breaking it up but didn't need to. In any event, it was my little girl that FINALLY stood up to this bully. She's been great with all dogs, EXCEPT if they try to hump her or try to prevent her from chasing a ball.:p Chaos walked a little more boldly around Shadow after that. Maybe I'd go so far as to say he was prancing. I've never been more proud.:D

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You guys are right, i definately do not want to create dog aggression in her since she is doing so good. But a small part of me kind of wish she'd stand her ground but i think i would have flipped if Josie was in a fight.

In the end i am proud of her for holding her own and not re acting. She doesn't seem to be bothered by it.

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
You guys are right, i definately do not want to create dog aggression in her since she is doing so good. But a small part of me kind of wish she'd stand her ground but i think i would have flipped if Josie was in a fight.

In the end i am proud of her for holding her own and not re acting. She doesn't seem to be bothered by it.
She's a very good girl :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts