German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
on Valentines Day:wild:

Kind of ironic don't you think.

I think I'm looking for some reassurance (worried puppy mom here). We're rescue people so all our other animals (3 dogs all deceased and 3 cats that we have now) came to us already neutered/spayed. Josh is our first puppy, he's cryptorchid, we've given his other testicle almost 7 months and it's not come down. If you have any tips for the post surgical puppy I'd love to hear them.

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
Hi Welcome to the forum. Josh is such a cute name for a puppy. Do you have any pictures. I'm sure you'll get lots of great advice.

After Mac's procedure, he was very needy and lethargic. But he bounced back quick.

·
Registered
6,271 Posts
I think they all may act a bit different, especially depending on the pain meds used/ the personality of the dog ect.

Kelso was older when he was neutered... 3.5. He came rip roaring out of the vet like nothing had happened, but was really anxious and unsettled the rest of the night. Almost like the pain meds had the opposite effect, sortof amped him a bit and made him feel "out of control" which he did not like.

Other dogs might take the day like a nice vacation..and be a bit lethargic and chill out.

I would ask the vet about pain management beforehand.

You will know your dog best. A good tip I got from someone here was to look at the "area" right after the surgery so you could compare the next day to watch for swelling/redness ect ect.

We gave Kelso a good week + before we let him play like he usually would.

Good luck, best wishes

·
Registered
987 Posts
Frank was 8 months when he was neutered and he acted like nothing happened, I even had it done while I was on vacation so I could be with him everyday after he came home.
The vet sent home pain pills one a day for 5 days which I did give but in truth he never acted like he was in any pain, I went a head and gave the pills because a previous dog I had tore his stitches out and I think the pain pills helped keep Frank from focousing on the incision.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Hi, Josh's Mom ... my pup was cryptorchid and had his neutering this past Thursday when he was under anesthesia for another procedure. Depending on where the undescended testicle is actually located, he'll have a small incision (my Logan's is about two inches) and stitches ... it's much like having a female spayed. They should give you a couple days pain meds, and they'll have you keep him quiet for awhile so the stitches don't pull out and the incision can heal.

You'll just need to keep an eye on the surgical wound to make sure there's no redness, puffiness, oozing ... you won't need to clean it, treat it, etc.

The pain meds may make your pup sleepy ... that will help to keep him quiet. They may give you a 'cone of shame' (lampshade or elizabethan collar) to keep him from licking at the stitches.

I've been keeping Logan crated, he wants to run and romp and play with his older brother dog and sister cat. Bones and stuffed kongs and things to chew on have helped alleviate his boredness when he's not napping. Except for being on pain meds (so slightly sleepy/loopy) he doesn't act like he's had surgery at all.

Will be thinking about Josh tomorrow ... let us know how it goes!!! I understand the worried puppy mom routine, we're here to commiserate!! ;)

·
Registered
12,142 Posts
For inspiration...I'll tell you Cheyenne's story (rescued dog). Senior...Had stage 4 hw...so she has permanent damage to her lungs making her breathing very labored. Had a HUGE mammary tumor. She just had her mammary tumor removed and was spayed. It was very risky due to her breathing...but needed to remove the tumor before it ruptured. Everyone was apprehensive that she would even survive.

Not only did she come through with flying colors...you would never know she had surgery. I'm actually doing the extra pain meds (one is mandatory for her due to the anti-inflammatory properties)..so that she will rest.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Well, he made it through. He was loopy and in some pain when we brought him home. He didn't like his ex-pen too much so I sat with him on the floor for a while and he fell asleep (my rear end did too, I don't sit on the floor too much these days). He's a pretty vocal dog so he yelps when he gets up, after that he's okay. He's got the same 2" incision you were talking about Blue Paws and a smaller one further down. So far he isn't messing with them, hope it stays that way.

I think the biggest shocker of the whole day was finding out he weighs 63.3lbs at 6mo 3 weeks!! He's going to be HUGE:eek: I'm working on getting those photos up.

Yay, the avatar thing worked! This is Josh at 12 weeks......all ears, literally. I'm working on downloading his older pics.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
HAHA!!

He had nuts then, just not in the right place :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts