German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Super Moderator
Cava, floofy supermodel
20,483 Posts
Cute! I'm at work and can't watch the whole thing right now (don't have speakers either), but I saw towards the beginning a mention of "down and sit up". Do you use the "sit up" command for sitting from a down in addtion to a regular "sit" command to sit from a stand? If so, I wouldn't recommend that. Sit is sit, regardless of what position the dog was in prior to the command, and also where she is in relation to you. You really want her to generalize commands so she can sit from a stand or a down, sit next to you or in front of you or behind you, sit when YOU'RE sitting or even if you're laying down, or when she's in the car, or across the room from you.

· Super Moderator
Cava, floofy supermodel
20,483 Posts
I am working very hard at only saying sit ...our trainer said if I couldnt get it not to stress out over it since Jordan knows what to do and since we are using a diff. hand movement for sit up vs reg sit.
I wouldn't use a different hand signal either. Sit is a position - butt on floor, what she was doing prior to the sit is irrelevant. I think it's going to be harder to teach her to generalize the sit command when you're trying to differentiate between one kind of sit and another based on if she's standing or laying down when you give her the sit command. It's all just "sit".

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.