German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We did a lot of training this week in public. Mainly just practicing everything around people in public. We also started training with a trainer her truly knows her stuff and so we are now taking her advice on training especially in terms of being in public (even if it is a "pet" friendly place).

Anyway she now knows...
"Wait"
"Sit"
"Down"
"Here"
"Ok" - release
"Up" (used to get her on the bed/couch/in truck)
"Lap" (head on lap / used in the truck to get her out of dads seat)
"Paws Up" (Front paws on what Ive pointed at) [we need a lot of practice with this one - we have been working on other commands instead]
"Leave It"
"Eyes" (give me your attention)
"Get It" (pick up what I point at -- she needs more practice with this, especially the release of what ive pointed at lol)
She knows how to heel (Lets go), to sit when I stop to look at something, to lay down if I stay still longer than 30 seconds to a minute, to walk on or off leash.

For the next video I am going to see if hubby will video Jordan and I getting in and out of the truck. : )

Anyway here it is : )
Thanks for looking as always!

·
Super Moderator
32,429 Posts
Cute! I'm at work and can't watch the whole thing right now (don't have speakers either), but I saw towards the beginning a mention of "down and sit up". Do you use the "sit up" command for sitting from a down in addtion to a regular "sit" command to sit from a stand? If so, I wouldn't recommend that. Sit is sit, regardless of what position the dog was in prior to the command, and also where she is in relation to you. You really want her to generalize commands so she can sit from a stand or a down, sit next to you or in front of you or behind you, sit when YOU'RE sitting or even if you're laying down, or when she's in the car, or across the room from you.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am working very hard at only saying sit ...our trainer said if I couldnt get it not to stress out over it since Jordan knows what to do and since we are using a diff. hand movement for sit up vs reg sit. I have a hard time remembering new commands.... if Jordan had a handler that had a quicker midn shed be learning even more commands than she is already! :p Anyway thanks for the tip and I am working on it : ) but for now I tend to say sit up 98 percent of the time (oops).

The videos are normally taken by my husband - he says he is practicing for 2 legged kids lol. I figure it is easier to keep all her videos and pictures archived by making a video each week for the first bit of time and then as she learns things and everything isnt so new taper the videos off to once a month :)

·
Super Moderator
32,429 Posts
I am working very hard at only saying sit ...our trainer said if I couldnt get it not to stress out over it since Jordan knows what to do and since we are using a diff. hand movement for sit up vs reg sit.
I wouldn't use a different hand signal either. Sit is a position - butt on floor, what she was doing prior to the sit is irrelevant. I think it's going to be harder to teach her to generalize the sit command when you're trying to differentiate between one kind of sit and another based on if she's standing or laying down when you give her the sit command. It's all just "sit".

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yea that makes sense... once again though it is very hard for me to remember new things. A lot of times stuff is written on sticky notes all over the place I am trying to figure out a way to remind myself to not say sit up and just say sit; same with the hand signal.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts