German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone else have a dog that is obsessed with these things?Also does anyone have a dog that their fangs are worn down from them?We have a seven year old GS that has to have this stupid thing when ever he is in our yard and we used to take one in the car for him to play with when we stopped,his fangs are worn down to half of what they should be.You wouldn`t think that rubber would do that so a warning to others.My wife keeps buying these things.

·
Registered
7,151 Posts
We have one. Tuke used to enjoy mouthing and chewing on it. She use to clamp down and release over and over, maybe listening to to air escape, idk, we said she was doing CPR on it. Once we got Ranger, he started playing with it and must of messed it up somehow, she no longer seems interested.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Lindee's first Jollyball lasted 2 days before she chewed the handle completely off. My wife found them at Costco and brought another one home. The handle lasted about 2 hours and then she started destroying the ball itself by chewing small pieces off of the hole in the top where the handle had been. Fortunately she didn't swallow the small pieces of plastic but, no more Jollyballs. I think she likes the fact that she can puncture the soft plastic and if she works on it long enough she can "worry" a piece off.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
I got a couple. I just got the big one that is for a horse for Midnite. He carries it everywhere when he's outside...its not allowed in the house.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
But no wearing of teeth for anyone?I mean our 7 year old wore his fangs down to almost nubs!The vet said she hasn`t seen anything like it and now our 4 year old`s are wearing,I wonder if it is the ball`s material or it collects dirt and it act like a file on the teeth with the non stop chewing.Just a FYI to keep an eye on.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
all 3 of mine are into the jolly ball, I buy the ones for a horse, and around one ever other month, or more if i can catch them on sale, theres 3 out in the yard, at anytime, one still looks like a jolly ball, with no handle, and the other 2 not so much, when one just looks like a pile of rubber, then it gets tossed and a new one in its place

·
Registered
7,151 Posts
But no wearing of teeth for anyone?I mean our 7 year old wore his fangs down to almost nubs!The vet said she hasn`t seen anything like it and now our 4 year old`s are wearing,I wonder if it is the ball`s material or it collects dirt and it act like a file on the teeth with the non stop chewing.Just a FYI to keep an eye on.
I've heard of wear caused by tennis balls, but maybe if the chewing on the jolly ball is day in day out it can do the same thing?

·
Registered
7,083 Posts
My boy has had a jolly ball - well several for probably the last 6 years. No issues with his teeth and he has destroyed them before, he even had a Jolly Squirrel, I let that in the house, but eventually I find the air coming out of them stinks, I think Jolly Squirrel was the only one that didn't stand up to him. Right now he has 2, a large purple one and a really large lime green one - the really large is one of the ones for horses and so far it has stood up the best. If I'm outside and a neighbor stops at the fence, he always trots up with a Jolly Ball in his mouth, far and large his favorite toy.

·
Super Moderator
16,483 Posts
Beau has three different sized ones and he has not removed the handle but they all have puncture marks everywhere because he likes to squeeze them. No teeth issues yet. He really loves carrying them around the yard

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Holly has two of them, a red and a blue. As soon as someone walks outside, she grabs one of them and starts carrying it around. Has never chewed the handles off, but after awhile, she does manage to smash them down into "half" jolly balls, Still carries them around by the handle flat or round.

·
Super Moderator
5,389 Posts
Carly loves her jolly ball. It has a zillion little punctures from her teeth because she likes to squeeze it. The handle is chewed up just a little bit. She seriously loves that thing!

Here she is when she was younger, with a brand new jolly ball:

·
Registered
152 Posts
Does anyone else have a dog that is obsessed with these things?Also does anyone have a dog that their fangs are worn down from them?
YES!!!

I had given my dog a jolly ball, when he was about a year old, which he loved. However, I noticed that his canine teeth were no longer sharp. The top ones are worse than the bottoms and are really rounded off now. It didn't take us long to realize that it was from the jolly ball. :mad:

Needless to say we have taken the ball away and have no intention on letting him play with it again. I would strongly encourage everyone to monitor your dog's teeth if you're letting him play with a jolly ball.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
My late Mac LOVED his Jolly-Balls and he died with hardly any fangs left. Slider also has had his fangs worn down playing with them. Bruiser and Faith don't seem that interested, they like smaller balls better.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Funny that you posted this. My friend and I were out on the boat two weeks ago and found a 8 or so inch jolly ball floating in a debris collection that we were picking clean of any garbage.

We had no idea what it was and thought it might be a marker for slalom skiers. It was in pretty good shape but had one nick in it from a prop of another boat so it did have some water in it. Even then, it would not sink and floated ashore.

His hound goes ape stink over it. He will do anything for it! No problems with the teeth so far but he has managed to pepper it with holes from his powerful bite.

That's one heck of a way to find a cool toy! I will be getting one for my dog in the future. I guess the arena folk use them with their horses for play too!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for all the replies,in a weird or selfish way,I was hoping our dingbats weren`t the only ones or freaks of nature.I guess it is also a warning to others.I wish we would have never got those things but we didn`t know until it was too late.

·
Super Moderator
21,368 Posts
masi is jolly ball obsessed, I can't count how many we've gone thru:( And YES she has worn her canine's down quite a bit..

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Nita loves these! But she always kills them. We get the horse ones. We are thinking we really need toys for zoo animals though, she just killed another basketball too.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I have the 8 inch Jolly ball with the molded handle and Indi likes to carry it around. If she is playing fetch she wants to use her Cuz balls, but for just carrying and keeping herself entertained the Jolly ball is one of her real go to choices. She prefers the cuz because she can get it into her jaws and doesn't have issues with dropping it. The Jolly is just a tad too big and hits her front legs if she is trying to run and she doesn't really care for that. She also loves a flying disc, but I tend to avoid it to prevent her from jumping and injuring herself. Love my girl too much to play games that will get her hurt.... I guess that makes me an old softy when it comes to taking care of my pack family members...

Wheelchair Bob

1 - 20 of 20 Posts