German Shepherds Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey! I have a 4 1/2 month old GSD, and i was wondering if it's to soon to start jogging with her? I've tried jogging short distances just to see how she reacts, and she seems to like it. I was wondering if it's ok to up the distance? Im pretty sure she will be able to keep up, she's faster then me lol, however i heard it might be bad for her joints. Is this true?

·
Registered
27 Posts
I was wondering this too. I have read a lot of information and it all said that you shouldn't do any running until at least one year of age. But Luno is almost
6 months old and goes crazy!!! He runs non stop in the backyard or at the dog park and this is usually at full speed! So why cant he run with me not like 5 miles a day yet, just little here and there to work him up to it? :confused:

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
What do you consider a short distance? I think you should take it easy with her just because she's so young and developing her little body :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
By short distance i mean about 1/2 mile or so. I was hoping to go up to about a 1 to 1 1/2 miles or so. I don't jog much either i was hoping to build our stamina together.

·
"I like Daffy" Moderator
3,276 Posts
Your puppy is still growing -- the growth plates don't close until 18 months or so. The repeated pounding from continuous jogging isn;t good for the joints. When your pup runs in the yard they are in control of both speed and duration and can stop at any time.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
I think your pup is a little young for jogging on pavement. Since you're in Miami why not try the sand??

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
yiorgo and luno,

im DYING to start jogging with my pup, but have not yet. he's 10 months old,and I'm waiting until he' 18 months.

I live in Chicago so i would have to jog on the sidewalk.

I personally think if you had grass /sand etc you could do a short (1/2 mile) with them, but not on roads/sidewalks.

at 18 months the growth plates will close up and the fun can begin...sucks waiting. i know :(

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Yeah, everyone seems to agree with what I was thinking. I'd let her just grown for now. She can be a wonderful jogging pal a little while down the road :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Seems as though the best thing for him now is to leave running to the pups on there own at the dog park.:eek: The suggestions everyone is making is pretty much what I was ready when I was looking into it. I just figured he loves to run so much all the time that we could enjoy it together.:p

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
Nonsense. If your puppy is able and willing, go for it. Be sure to build up to distance and speed and do not push him. Unless your puppy is over angulated or structurally unsound, there is absolutely no reason not to give him however much exercise he wants.

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
Leashed running of pavement may cause issues from the hard surface as well as repetitive nature.

As far as distance, my pups can go miles by that age. But that was OFF leash. So they would run full blast, walk, sit, lay in a puddle, RUN!!!!!!!!!! lay in another puddle, etc.

Finding other dogs they can play with off leash is great too.

Here's what is fine..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the great advice, i think i will keep it safe and just wait until she's a little older. Better safe than sorry. Maybe i'll take her to the beach every once an a while to start her off.

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
Waiting is so silly and for no reason. Your puppy needs more exercise than he ever will as an adult and you aren't giving it to him. I don't get it. I guess people like their puppies bouncing off the walls with excess energy.

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
Waiting is so silly and for no reason. Your puppy needs more exercise than he ever will as an adult and you aren't giving it to him. I don't get it. I guess people like their puppies bouncing off the walls with excess energy.
I would ABSOLUTELY be exercising the pup. And miles a day. It's not the distance or exercise in general that's the issue.

It's the KIND of exercising. Repetitive and high impact (pavement) are to be avoided when our puppies are still growing.

But there are tons of OTHER exercising ways to get our dogs worn out. Swimming, anything off leash in open areas, playing with other dogs...

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
Yes, but I don't live in the land of milk and honey where the bunnies and squirrels play all day. I, and most other people, do not have access to safe open areas - and most people don't have the control to let their dogs run free- where they can get that sort of exercise. I live in MN, the land of 10,000 lakes, and most of us do not have access to a swimming area for the dogs. I live in the real world where the only way to exercise your dog is to take him running or biking and it does not in any way hurt them so long as they aren't structurally unsound or overangulated. This is a trotting breed so there's very little up and down movement and it's not high impact like it would be for people, plus they have big squishy feet so they come with their own tennis shoes.

By telling people they can't do this with their pups just gives them another excuse not to exercise their pups when they need it the most and I find it very irresponsible advice.

·
"I like Daffy" Moderator
3,276 Posts
By telling people they can't do this with their pups just gives them another excuse not to exercise their pups when they need it the most and I find it very irresponsible advice.
And I feel it is irresponsible to encourage people to use forced exercise on a young dog.

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
Forced exercise?!!!!! Are you kidding me?!!!! I don't see any of these pups not wanting to go. The only one being forced might be the owner as you about have to hit people over the head to get them moving.

·
Registered
485 Posts
By forced exercise, people are referring to when the puppy isn't the one in control of the activity. The fact that the puppies are more than willing to go is actually part of the problem - they will go until they drop, so we have to be the ones that set limits for them. If someone chooses to run with a puppy, I would make sure that the dog is running on grass, or sand - yes, they are a trotting breed, but nature didn't accommodate for concrete - natural surfaces have give to them.

I don't have any off leash parks close by (I would have to drive at least 30 mins), not that I am a huge fan of them anyway, and while I do have a decent back yard that we run/play in, I spend a lot of time in local (kid) parks with Kokoda on a long line (since kids don't appear to use them anymore) - we can run around, we play fetch, use the flirt pole...whatever it takes to wear her out. She has just hit 18 months, and I am very excited to start riding bike with her, although we're heading into winter, so it will be 6 months before I can do it.

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
Again, nonsense. I have repeatedly said that you have to pace your dog because they won't do it and you have to build up to distance and speed. Pups do quickly slow down when they begin to get tired so where's the forcing?

Natural surfaces would be great in an ideal world, but I don't live in one and neither do most people. If people can't go out the front door and go in order to exercise their dog, most won't do it at all and exercising on the so called evil hard surfaces is much better than getting none at all.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.