German Shepherds Forum banner

Joey update

863 views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  Thecowboysgirl 
#1 ·
I will preface this by saying that Joey’s 14.5 years old, and I’m realistic about the future.

Up through May 28, we were able to take him out for walks every day.

On May 29, he could not get out of his bed. When my husband lifted him up to walk, his back legs were weak, and there was some knuckling.

Since then he has been diagnosed with several bacterial infections on which the first two antibiotics had no effect. He’s now on Doxycycline, and an antibiotic cream in a syringe that I insert into the infected pocket twice a day.

I walk him around the house and yard. He went from pooping in his bed to pooping in the yard. His walking has improved. Slight knuckling, but he quickly corrects himself.

I took this picture
of him yesterday. My husband is in the hospital; my mission is to keep Joey healthy and happy until he gets home, and then some.

See less See more
Reactions: Biscuit
#7 ·
Joey is so handsome - he reminds me of my Luc, when he got older. It's a privilege to care for an elderly dog, for sure.
I hope your husband gets better quickly - I'm sure Joey will be thrilled to see him. An item of his clothing for now is a great idea.

Reactions: Cheerful1
#8 ·
Joey is so handsome - he reminds me of my Luc, when he got older. It's a privilege to care for an elderly dog, for sure.
I hope your husband gets better quickly - I'm sure Joey will be thrilled to see him. An item of his clothing for now is a great idea.
Thank you! My husband had surgery last week; the hope is that he’s discharged sometime this week. I keep him posted every day about Joey’s activities.

Tomorrow I will attempt to get Joey in the car for his vet visit (Adequan shot). My husband always did it, but I think I can handle it.

Reactions: jarn
#9 ·
Got Joey in the car for his vet visit. I felt empowered!

Vet said his infection pocket went down from 7cm to less than 3cm. I am to continue the twice-daily syringe of Cefa-dri.

I asked the vet if he needs to take another culture. He said no, things are progressing nicely. Joey has another week of Doxycycline left. I am to give him that; good possibility that will be it.

The sore on his left front elbow is healing. His ears are good.

He got his Adequan shot and nails trimmed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.