German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My almost 6 month old GSD is doing as lot of obedience training and is doing well. She comes from working lines (German and Czech ) and will need to have a job when she is older. I believe she would be good at most things. Her greatest handicap is me. I am of advanced years and although in good health am, alas, no longer able to engage in physically demanding activities such as SAR.

I would appreciate suggestions of work that would suit both the pup and me as we get older. I believe training her to do Therapy work will be one option when she will reach eighteen months or so. Anything else you can think of?

Thanks for your attention .

·
Super Moderator
32,371 Posts
Nosework is a lot of fun, and not physically demanding for the owner.

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
Masi is definitely handler handicapped:( There are days I can barely move..

We do alot of fun tracking and hiking when I'm feeling good which is alot of the time, on days I'm not moving well, she is content to do errands with me, carry stuff around for me, just hang with me , and let me say, this girl is no couch potatoe, but she's adjusted well now that she is more mature.

I second tracking, maybe since yours is doing well with obedience, try some rally / obedience competition:)

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
I second nosework. It's cheap. I prefer it over tracking these days because I do not have the space in the city to lay tracks and hate traipsing around in 90+ degree heat and humidity with huge boots on laying tracks full of ticks. With nosework I can do boxes, interior searches, exterior searches, vehicle searches all at my house or just use my neighbor's.

·
Registered
87 Posts
We have started nosework, and I think it is a blast! We didn't do a lot of tracking before, so I can't compare it, but I can tell you I am really challenged to be able to read my dog. As I learn to see her subtle cues, I feel our relationship growing. This activity has been very rewarding for us.

Good luck finding the right venue!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks to each of you who responded. I appreciate your help. I'm going to look into nose work classes and will keep you apprised of progress.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts