German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
187 Posts
I have a frisky happy healthy 4 month old pup. He is active and we try to keep him entertained, he is loved and spoiled by both his parents.

But we realize he needs a job, and we want to share the joy we get from having him around.

Any medical agencies / search and rescue / police organization etc in Los Angeles / Beverly hills, who can use such a dog?

And how does it work? Any and all advise is appreciated.

Please advise.
Thanks,
Kaz.

Nota Bene: *removed by mod*, dont post here.

·
Premium Member
7,820 Posts
Therapy dog,especially ones that visit seniors and kids in hospital,thats what I want to do w/ my next dog. Kaz is still to youing but once he's old enough puppy obedience,regualar obedience classes to prep him for his canine good citizen and whatever your stae requies to be a therapy dog. There are also all the fun jobs like herding classes,agility,flyball and obedience. Kaz is young and you got alot of cool things to try to find the one thast fits you and your dog. Its been along time since Daisy was in puppy kindergarten. Im sure some of the more experienced folks can give better answers. If Kaz has solid training and is good w/ people and animals,hey the sky the limit. The training is what is incredibly important and hard work for us humans but man the things you and Kaz can do.Sometimes its just cool to have a dog who can go anywhere w/ you and really be part of everything you do.I look forward to hearing about your adventures.

·
Banned
5,124 Posts
A job is something to stimulate his mind, not like a paying job that he will go off from 9-5 and then be back in your home.

Police dogs are trained by the department and live with their handler. SAR dogs live with their handler and then get called in when such situations arise. You will need to train your dog in SAR in order to be part of an organization. They will help train, but you do most of the work.

As with therapy dog, if you have a very energetic puppy it will take you a while to get him certified. He will have to be trained in obedience and then you license him with an agency such as TDI. Usually they want to see a CGC on the dog before they even let you take the test but I don't think that's a requirement. Then once you do that they provide you with resources to go with your dog to places such as hospitals and schools. Again though, you do this with your dog, not anyone else.

·
Premium Member
7,820 Posts
Thank you for your post Ma'am. Unfortunately, My name is Kaz, and my fiancee is laughing her head off. :laugh:

Manfred is my pup. :D
Sorry but glad your fiancee is laughing.So your not Manfred. Good thing I didnt add the part about Manny should have a beer . Sorry

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Kaz, I would recommend getting into a dog sport with Manfred.

From the dog's perspective a sport is a job too!

I would suggest you research the forums on this site which discuss the various dog sports.

Take a look at some of the forums about agility, schutzhund, obedience and other dog sports. Visit some clubs and get started in an obedience class. Then you will be able to decide which sport suits your Manny the best.

I was not intending to get involved in Schutzhund but in going to obedience classes with my Ilda I found she has the aptitude for it....so because SHE likes it we're learning Schutzhund together now. (it's blast....for me too!)

You won't know what fits you and Manny until he gets some obedience training in and you two explore what avenue suits you best.

btw- I'm not an expert but I know enough to know that SAR and Police dogs are usually carefully selected from working lines, tested and trained and re-evaluated through out the process. Also, most, if not all working police K-9's are handled by police officers so you would have to quit your current job to get Manny involved in law enforcement. ;)

·
Banned
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hello Gwen,
Thank you for your post. I remember looking for schutzhund classes in West LA / Beverly hills, but I couldnt find any.

If anyone has any recommendations, it would be welcome.

Thanks,
Kaz.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
Hello Gwen,
Thank you for your post. I remember looking for schutzhund classes in West LA / Beverly hills, but I couldnt find any.

If anyone has any recommendations, it would be welcome.

Thanks,
Kaz.

Do they have to be a certain age for schutzhund classes? I thought I read 8 months somewhere? In the meantime my very active, energetic 4 month old is in school and will remain there for obedience and socializing. So far it has worked wonderfully..she is good with the dogs, kids, rabbits, and the cats--although I think she thinks its her job to keep the cats in one spot--she does this well!!

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
As far as SchH, it's not rare for people to have to drive 2 hours one way for a good club.

You could also look for search and rescue teams but keep in mind many of them require you to join and pass certifications before they will even evaluate your dog. It's expensive b/c of travel and gear and very time consuming. It really is more like a job and not just something to do for fun.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
As far as SchH, it's not rare for people to have to drive 2 hours one way for a good club.

You could also look for search and rescue teams but keep in mind many of them require you to join and pass certifications before they will even evaluate your dog. It's expensive b/c of travel and gear and very time consuming. It really is more like a job and not just something to do for fun.
I have a place less then a mile from my home that offers these classes on a drop in basis and the cost is very reasonable for the class.

·
Registered
27,206 Posts
What type of classes? SAR(especially) and SchH are a commitment. Dropping in won't get you very far if you are sporadic in the training. SAR is not something to dabble in.

·
Registered
4,323 Posts
What type of classes? SAR(especially) and SchH are a commitment. Dropping in won't get you very far if you are sporadic in the training. SAR is not something to dabble in.
Agreed-many SAR organizations also make you come to training, meetings, etc WITHOUT your dog for quite a long time before you can even begin bringing him, and much of the training is ob your own. It's definitely something you would need to consider your job as well. Try agility- I'll bet there are a lot of options near you, and is also great for bonding that will lend well to therapy, etc.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
SAR, Therapy Dog, detection work, a dog sport.
you can train your dog to do things that may
be considered work.

>>> get his leash when it's time to go out.
>>> get the mail (take it from the mailman and
bring it to you.
>>> get the newspaper.
>>> teach him to bring you various items
>>> teach him to pick something up if you
drop it.
>>> "find it". you hide things and he finds them.
you can play "find it" indoors or outside.
>>> "go to" (insert name or place).
i can give my dog something and say
"go to Rosie" (my GF) and he takes it to her
and she can send him to me.
>>> teach him to carry things for you.

·
Super Moderator
21,368 Posts
I'll repeat what I did in your other thread regarding the snipet at the end of your post about "xxx do not post".

If you don't like what a poster posts, put them on 'ignore' which is a feature of the board. Otherwise, get over it, and ignore them if you don't like what they have to offer..Posting on an internet forum you open yourself up to opinions from any and all.
To 'print' it at the end of your postings is rude in my opinion. With that I'm removing it

1 - 15 of 15 Posts