German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I let Jerry Lee play some frisbee in our yard. He ended up getting a nail stuck in his leg. It was a 3" long rusty nail and about 2" was in his leg. I took him to the E-Vet and they got it out and there appears to be no damage. How lucky is that? They got him on Clavamox for a week. This morning he still wouldn't eat anything so he hasn't had his medicine yet. He still acts groggy from the sedation. I hope after sleeping all day that he will be better when I get home from work. The vet said that dogs don't get Tetanus like people do but the antibiotics should help with that just in case. Has anyone ever had a dog get Tetanus? What are the signs that I should watch for.

·
Registered
7,267 Posts
Oh man, poor Jerry, what a way to ruin a fun game. Glad to hear the damage was minimal and I hope he can heal quickly.

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
Ouch! I'm glad he's ok!

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
I have seen a dog with tetanus.
It is not pretty....and there are plenty of images on the web.
The antibiotic should prevent it from developing.

·
Registered
31,803 Posts
is there a tetanus shot for dogs?

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
The vet said that dogs don't get Tetanus like people do but the antibiotics should help with that just in case. Has anyone ever had a dog get Tetanus? What are the signs that I should watch for.
So sorry this happened to your boy, hope he's feeling better soon!!!

This may give you some information ... I "think" there may be another thread or two about dogs and tenanus.
http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/archive-5-health-wellness/85981-tetanus-symptoms.html

·
Registered
18,371 Posts
OUCH!!!!!

Glad the nail is out and he will be okay. Poor Jerry Lee.

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
Wishing for quick healing for your boy.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Poor boy. I hope he gets better really soon.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
He is feeling better now and ate his breakfast this morning. He really seemed more bothered by the sedation than the nail in his foot. I'm just so thankful it wasn't worse than it was.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts