German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any causes for a dog to throw up right after drinking water???
Kaiya just came off steroids and antibiotics 2 weeks ago and this week she has started to vomit right after drinking. We have her bowl raised on a table 12" high and shes not drinking all that fast but most everytime she drinks she pukes

We put a call in to the vet (gonna get her a room there) and shes going in tomorrow morning

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Also is the water cold? Does it happen after she has been active? Maybe she is panting and drinking? I would lower the bowl.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
Could she be drinking too much at one time? I had to monitor the amount of water Too drank her whole life. She'd puke when she drank too much. I'd allow her to drink what I "thought" was enough, pick up the bowl, wait a couple minutes and put it down again. Usually she didn't want more, but if she did then I'd also monitor that amount until she was thru.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well this time of year we put a bowl on the porch with us so its on the deck and its the same as when she drinks from her raised bowl.
Also this is ocurring at anytime - active or not.
The bowl in the kitchen(her raised bowl) is room temp and the bowl on the porch ususally gets a few ice cubes on hot days but again she vomits from both.
Also forgot to add -we have been giving her bottled water the last two days with no change.
Boy we sure are on a first name basis at the vets

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
If it happened just after the use of antibiotics, maybe adding more benefical bacteria (probiotics supplement), will help settle her upset stomach again.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The vet checked her over thoroughly and as per another post in here mentioned the high pollen content this spring for her eyes -but did some sort of 'green dye scratch test' and all looked good. She gave us a steroidial crean for the eyes.
Now the vomit issue....
We are moving this Friday and I have been taking loads up north every week and also have been living up north during the week for work for a while now and with the ramping up of stress packing the last 2 weeks the vet thinks its a stress issue. She gave us some antacids and said that if she continues after this weekend (once we're moved) to come back in.
I had kind of thought the stress of all the 'stuff' leaving the house may have had an impact on Kaiya as she is extremely needy

I guess we will just keep our eye on her and hope this weekend with the family unit being back together that shes ok
Tx all for advice ~Res

1 - 12 of 12 Posts