German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I have a serious issue going on in my home. My 8 months old GSD doesn't let me play with 4 months old min pin puppy. After I pet minpin, he just tries to bite her and chase her. He gets really angry, you can see how he shakes with other toys. What am I gonna do? Do I have to play them seperately? What do you guys suggest? I don't want to lock my german shepherd, while I'm playing with minpin but she is puppy and needs me a lot too. I'm so confused..Please help me..Thanks

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So it is not worth it to write something ha:(..thank you all, y have been so helpful..

·
Super Moderator
32,134 Posts
Have you done any obedience training with either dog?

·
Registered
14,509 Posts
Originally Posted By: VALIUMSo it is not worth it to write something ha:(..thank you all, y have been so helpful..
From the time stamps looks like your post was last night, weekends are often quiet around here

·
Registered
5,483 Posts
I don't think your Shepherd is "angry", it sounds more like he's trying to play inappropriately roughly and sees your Min Pin as more of a toy than a peer. Large dogs can kill smaller ones under these circumstances, not for spite or jealousy or out of anger, just because they don't understand that they shouldn't play that rough with a smaller dog.

Having two babies at the same time is tough. I would suggest working on obedience with both of them, at first separately and then together. When your Shepherd gets too rough tell him no and then redirect him to an appropriate toy or have him do a sit or down and then treat and praise him when he's back on track. Also, making sure your shepherd is getting plenty of exercise and chances to play and roughhouse with dogs his own size may take some of the edge off.

If you have not had a lot of experience with training, an obedience class can be invaluable. It would also be an extra socialization opportunity for your boy.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thnx, Yes I did obedience class, he exceled in it, and now he is on training for advanced training then CGC. I don't know what to do with minpin though. It is hard to train, especially compared to GSD.

·
Registered
10,225 Posts
It could also be a rank issue. Your GSD may want to dictate when you get to interact with other dogs and that is a no-no!
Playtime or rank, it's time to set rules. If the minpin defers to the GSD, then anything you do with both dogs, do it with the GSD first. For example, call your GSD to you, pet him, then send him off and call the minpin to you and pet her. If your GSD comes back, sternly correct him and send him away. If he's had some training, now is an EXCELLENT time to practice a down-stay. Put your GSD in a down after petting him (while on leash), then call your minpin. Correct your GSD for breaking the down and replace him. He MUST respect your space and your desires to interact with your pack on your terms. Now this goes both ways- if your minpin starts to get pushy, the same rules must be applied to her. They'll both soon learn that you call the shots and they can't do anything but wait their turn.

It is VERY hard to raise two puppies at the same time. When it comes time to one-on-one playtime, training, and socialization, I do strongly suggest locking up the other dog so the one you are working with has your full attention. You'll have to do a lot of shuffling and it will be a ton of work to make sure both are properly socialized, exercised, and trained. It's usually hard enough to find the time to devote to one pup, now you have twice the work (if not more).

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
we still have the same problem with mya sometimes. she will come up to us just wanting us to pet her or she just wants to be by one of us. tyson will come up to us too and want to play. mya growls and snarls and one time even bit him. shes gotten better tho. she didnt even acknowledge him when we first brought him home. she's not aggressive at all, such a softy. never dog aggressive, altho is protective. she will only co-exist with other dogs/pets. has been like this since we brought her home from the humane society 3 years ago. maybe activities like walking/playing/training would help them cooperate and establish respect for each other and a relationship. we've done this with the 2 since day one. when we walk mya and tyson together they act like a team. when we walk them both off leash (on the horse trail) tyson will not let mya get ahead of him! its almost like he's hearding us or keeping us together like as a pack. when they are on leash mya is more vocal. she will bark more often at other dogs and ppl. when she is alone she ignores other dogs and peaple. almost like she is giving the warning and has tyson as back up. he is less vocal towards other dogs. its interesting behavior between the two of them

1 - 8 of 8 Posts