German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have gone through tons and tons of conversations. 50-50 both ways. Don't neuter, do neuter.

His appointment is scheduled for this Friday. We are losing our minds.

Our Schutzund folks say "Don't you dare!"

Our Vet and our home body friends say "You better do it!"

We want what is best for our guy.

I don't want to breed him.

The thing I am concerned with is him getting super tall and not looking like a strong, muscular dog.

He is 6 months on the 10th.

We've read all the threads here. We've read a million other things as well.

Seems like it is a coin flip issue.

If anything, I'd like him to do some Schutzund at some club, but other than that, I don't really have any "Killer" needs. I would prefer him to be more of a homebody to be honest.

What's best for him for what his role in our "pack" is, I guess, is what we should end up doing.

We like to take him to doggie day camp and let him play with the 100 dogs each time. He loves other dogs. If he isn't neutered we can't take him there any more.

Our trainer, who has worked with police dogs a lot in the home situation says to neuter him.

We need :help:

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
I was in the same spot 3 months ago, when Berlin was 6 months. I decided to cancel my appointment the day before because I was having second thoughts. You can't UNDO a neuter, but you can always choose to do it at a later date.

Honestly, do what you think is best for you and him. There are pros/cons to both sides. I decided to wait until he's atleast over a year, but probably won't do it until I have a real need to.

Although he's intact, my boy is a real homebody and momma's boy...he honestly is so well behaved toward other dogs, doesn't really act unruly or anything. He's just an adolescent boy right now fascinated with pee-mail. ;) But, I give him a little correction and a "nu uh" after 3 seconds, and we're on our way.

·
Registered
27,306 Posts
6 months is very young to do that snip. If this were my pup, I'd pull him from daycare and let him grow with his hormones. Another option would be a vasectomy(no ooops litters happening, but the hormones are still intact).
I don't believe a dog is better off behaviorally just because he's gotten snipped. Depends on his attitude and your handling skills of course.
My male is 4 and I've never thought about having him neutered, he's managed just fine and is around females in heat often during our training sessions.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
6 months is very young to do that snip. If this were my pup, I'd pull him from daycare and let him grow with his hormones. Another option would be a vasectomy(no ooops litters happening, but the hormones are still intact).
I don't believe a dog is better off behaviorally just because he's gotten snipped. Depends on his attitude and your handling skills of course.
My male is 4 and I've never thought about having him neutered, he's managed just fine and is around females in heat often during our training sessions.
Agree 100% with onyx'girl. :)

·
Super Moderator
32,676 Posts
I would wait. There's really no need to do it right now, and there are some good reasons to let him mature a bit more before neutering. Keefer is my first male, and I neutered him at 15 months old.

·
Premium Member
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I agree with you guys 100%.

Here are the two downsides I am contemplating. Please correct me if necessary.

#1) He was a singleton puppy. No litter mates. Missed out on very critical early socialization. We salvaged him by taking him to day care starting at 12 weeks. He has gone ever since. He loves other dogs. He is so good with other dogs. The neighborhood we live in is very "Mayberry". Tons of dogs running around in the neighborhood, on leash of course, passing by the house, meeting Jaxon in the yard, etc.

#2) His growth. His father is a Schutzund, his grandfather has won many titles over the years. I am kind of interested in the sport, given that I am a former police officer with experience handling police dogs. I don't want him to lose his awesome temperament. He is so good with everyone now, on every level. Minus his little parties in the house alone tearing up stuff, he's a model dog.

His mama, my GF, wants him to be a big lap dog, and good with kids.

His daddy, me, wants him to be able to be a docile bad ass. Protect our house. Do some sport, etc.

Pretty much thats it.

:)

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Berlin is intact and is both what you want nd what your girlfriend wants. Neutering has nothing to do with that!!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
It's really up to you and whats best for your circumstances. Just from the browsing I've done on this board I can tell you the majority will say wait. I did not wait. My vet and trainer suggested getting it done before 6 months and I did. Riley was just shy of 5 months. My first male was neutered at 4 months and he matured just fine.

·
Registered
11,156 Posts
Of course your vet wants to neuter him; it's big business.
A vasectomy is only useful if you have a non breeding contract and you want to keep him intact. His hormones won't be affected by it and contrary to the veterinary black mail that he will turn into some breeding and fighting monster, you can mange an intact male just fine. I guess you will be responsible enough not to let him sire illegal puppies.
Sometimes you have these adolescent T-days (Testosterone overload days) but you work him through it and the next day he is easier. I am proud to have an intact male who is kind and well behaved (generally) and prove all the neuter police wrong.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
I am kind of in your position, family dog, doing Sch for fun on the side, and thought about neutering him. Until I talked with the Sch TD, she breeds stellar, world champion dogs, and we had a long talk about it. I will be waiting until my boy is at LEAST 3. They need all those hormones to grow, I do not believe it changes their temperament (if they are sound to begin with), and as long as you are responsible (no "oops" litters) I am sure you will be fine.

For what it's worth, I have seen two male German Shepherds come into obedience training that were neutered at six months and they had little to no secondary sex characteristics. Heads seemed very small for the body, they didn't seem very solid (were very petite) etc...and I do NOT like that look. I want him to be as "male looking" as possible, but that's the vanity in me lol. Some people really don't care about any of that, which is fine too :) hth

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
It's more than just vanity, IMO. Dogs that are allowed to fully mature have better structural integrity & musculature. The hormones are there for more than reproduction.

I originally planned to have Djibouti neutered ~2 or 3 but he's so easy it seems pointless at best. I decided that I'll have him neutered if & when there's a compelling reason to do so. He won't be bred. I never wanted to breed & I still don't. I'm content to let others handle those headaches and responsibilities.

Growth changes in neutered pups vary widely. My niece had to have her Lab neutered by 4 months. He's very, very tall, extremely leggy, with practically no angulation & a square rather than rectangular shape. His proportions are decidedly odd. Although he's fairly active he gains weight easily & lacks muscular definition. I've seen others that look much as you'd expect even if they hadn't been neutered. It's probably impossible to predict how much your dog will be affected. Wait if you can. I don't think you'll regret it.

·
Registered
11,156 Posts
I will be waiting until my boy is at LEAST 3. They need all those hormones to grow, I do not believe it changes their temperament (if they are sound to begin with), and as long as you are responsible (no "oops" litters) I am sure you will be fine.
So, if you can live with him until he is three years old, why neuter him after that? It only gets easier after that.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
I would wait. I don't want to take out something God put there that is perfectly healthy. So Fiona is not fixed. Some people are very intense on this topic, so be prepared. When Fiona went into heat, my cousin lost her mind that I had not bothered to fix it.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
If you have no plans to breed him why wait? Why deal with it? IMO, Teenage puppies are bad enough without throwing hormones into the mix.

Meet my 11 year old Buddy. He was neutered before 6 months. Does he look at all feminine or like he didn't grow right?

·
Registered
831 Posts
I'm waiting until 2, Eko has been a wonderful dog so far and he doesn't do any of the male behaviors like humping and marking. My vet said if I wanted to wait so he fully matured and filled out a bit more that was totally fine and up to me as long as there was no medical reason to do it sooner, and she couldn't find anything wrong with him. I've taken a bit of crap for it but I understand that people feel strongly about it so it doesn't bother me. I think it just depends on the dog and your situation.

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
It is a bit of a toss up, Delgado is a pet but we spend a lot of time out in the real world and he loves other dogs. Once he hit about 8 months other dogs were acting differently around him, posturing and growling. I wasn't willing to give up his social life so I waited until 10 months then neutered. He bounced back within 48 hours to his normal self and it was a fun two weeks keeping him quiet lol

He's still very male, no one has ever not guessed his sex right. He's 14 months now and starting to fill out in his chest and shoulders which I like. 6 months is a little young but still ok, if you're really worried waiting a few months until he's 1 or a little younger isn't going to hurt

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
This is the question that every other dog owner has to deal with on their own. There is no right or wrong answer. It is a personal choice for you and your own dog. The pet society will always pressure you to neuter early. The sport people say don't do it at all. The dog enthusiasts say wait until two years old. The truth is that it really only matters to you. Not all dogs that are neutered early loose their working ability and not all dogs who are not neutered grow into masculine looking hunks. My dog Ruger is 23 months old and intact. He is very well behaved, not dog aggressive, not sharp with strangers, does not mark in the house and does not hump anything. However, he has not developed into a real beasty looking dog either. His build is on the slighter side naturally and keeping him intact did not change this. I probably will never neuter him because I see no reason for it (for our circumstances).

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
If you're not sure and don't have a compelling reason TO do it right now, I would wait. You can always do it later on, once he's physically mature, but if you do it now you can't go back.

·
Registered
147 Posts
With the exception of two-I grew up with unneutered males and never had an issue with wandering or behavior-of those two one was a shelter adoption and the other had health issues that neutering resolved-my current male is intact and will remain so-my canines are confined to my property and spend most of their time at my side.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts