German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 131 Posts

·
Registered
5,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I finally did it. I just talked to the vet and am dropping her off tomorrow morning to be spayed.

I am thinking she is strong enough. She turned 2 yrs in February. Her IBD has been under control. She has been eating her breakfast and dinner with no issues, no digestive upset for 3 months now.

I am scared to death. I never worried so much over a spay until her, with her compromised immune system. She will be due for another heat cycle next month, and although she is very clean, I really want to get this done before then.

A few questions... if I may.
I know many of you use a cone. I never have, and have had many females before. But, for some reason, I have a feeling Jarie is going to need something. I would rather use a bite not collar, but I will have to see if I can get one before tomorrow. Will a T-Shirt help some, or will that irritate the area?

Any advice for post surgery care?

Also, please keep good thoughts, that she will pull through just fine. OK, I am just going to be even more nervous tomorrow.

·
Registered
24,301 Posts
With a mafioso vet, I wouldn't be worried.
Well, actually I worry over anything so...

I have not used a cone for any spays before. Lauri and the Gang actually had a post a long time ago about making your own bite not collar with cardboard! I have used a t-shirt on a couple of the girls and both liked it (Mariele and Ava). In fact, they still want to wear clothes!

I don't put anything on ointment-y because I don't want the incision to be a dirtcatcher.

Has she had any surgeries before?

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Tammy,

I can understand your nervousness and being worried about your girl - but she is going to do great! With her not having any issues in 3 months that is great and she is eating with no problems, again that is great and what an improvement. I honestly don't think the Vet would do the surgery if he/she didn't think she was strong and healthy enough. Are you having the blood work done before hand?

As far as the cone/collar - honestly, I would wait on that until you really need it. She might surprise you and not mess with it. Ava didn't mess with it at all. She just slept a lot! I think the cone/collar might irritate Jarie and then in turn give her a reason to wonder why she has to wear this thing. But, if she is constantly messing with her incision site then most definitely she doesn't have a choice but to wear it. I would just play it by ear and see how she does without it first.

Post surgery care ... try to keep to her quiet and no jumping!! She will want to sleep a lot and make sure she is eating and drinking. I know you know this already :)

I will definitely be thinking of you and Jarie, will be in touch with you tomorrow for an update ...

·
Registered
7,466 Posts
little miss mandi, our foster girl, goes in for her spay this friday. i'm nervous too, and look forward to reading everybody's advice here! and, i will think good thoughts for your jarie tomorrow!

·
Registered
5,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally Posted By: JeanKBBMMMAANWith a mafioso vet, I wouldn't be worried.
Well, actually I worry over anything so...

I have not used a cone for any spays before. Lauri and the Gang actually had a post a long time ago about making your own bite not collar with cardboard! I have used a t-shirt on a couple of the girls and both liked it (Mariele and Ava). In fact, they still want to wear clothes!

I don't put anything on ointment-y because I don't want the incision to be a dirtcatcher.

Has she had any surgeries before?
No, she hasn't had any surgeries. Yeah, I am sure with this vet, I shouldn't worry. But, he has never treated her before. Tomorrow will be his first meeting with her.
We had a nice talk this morning about her, and I know in my heart she will be fine, but still.... I still worry...*sigh.*

Originally Posted By: GSDgirlALTammy,

I can understand your nervousness and being worried about your girl - but she is going to do great! With her not having any issues in 3 months that is great and she is eating with no problems, again that is great and what an improvement. I honestly don't think the Vet would do the surgery if he/she didn't think she was strong and healthy enough. Are you having the blood work done before hand?

As far as the cone/collar - honestly, I would wait on that until you really need it. She might surprise you and not mess with it. Ava didn't mess with it at all. She just slept a lot! I think the cone/collar might irritate Jarie and then in turn give her a reason to wonder why she has to wear this thing. But, if she is constantly messing with her incision site then most definitely she doesn't have a choice but to wear it. I would just play it by ear and see how she does without it first.

Post surgery care ... try to keep to her quiet and no jumping!! She will want to sleep a lot and make sure she is eating and drinking. I know you know this already :)

I will definitely be thinking of you and Jarie, will be in touch with you tomorrow for an update ...
Yes, blood work is always done first. I would never think of not having it. Thanks, she has improved so much.
Sometimes I just get this sick feeling in my gut, I need to learn to ignore it.

·
Registered
5,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally Posted By: Wisc.TigerT-shirts(s) work and doesn't irritate the incision. You can do the one or two T-shirt method. I have had two females spayed and neither had the Cone.
Val, what do you mean by 2 t-shirts? Ok that is a dumb question I know, but do you just layer them for double the protection?

·
Registered
9,651 Posts
I think Val means two shirts 'back to back.' One over the head/torso and one over the butt.

Best of luck to Jarie for her spay. I'm sure she'll make out just fine though I can certainly understand your worry! Ris was spayed the Thursday before I met her and I was a bit worried about how it'd go.
Ris had actual sutures, not the dissolveable ones and no cone. I think most vets use the cone with the dissolveable stitches since dogs can very quickly and easily re-open themselves up by licking whereas it's less of an issue with removable stitches. I think if you're good at watching her and she leaves her incision site alone, you will probably be okay with no cone.

·
Registered
5,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally Posted By: Murphy-ElperroguapoI think Val means two shirts 'back to back.' One over the head/torso and one over the butt.

Best of luck to Jarie for her spay. I'm sure she'll make out just fine though I can certainly understand your worry! Ris was spayed the Thursday before I met her and I was a bit worried about how it'd go.
Ris had actual sutures, not the dissolveable ones and no cone. I think most vets use the cone with the dissolveable stitches since dogs can very quickly and easily re-open themselves up by licking whereas it's less of an issue with removable stitches. I think if you're good at watching her and she leaves her incision site alone, you will probably be okay with no cone.
Ah, thanks for the explanation! Now I get is, duh!!

See, I have never had an issue before with my females, so none have ever used a collar or worn a t-shirt. Ha, I learn something new everyday.

Jarie, well she is in a class all her own. She still doesn't get any bedding in her crate, because she will chew it up. But, I am thinking when she comes home I could have a soft bed in there, since she will be too tired to chew, hopefully.

·
Registered
5,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, it is going to be a very LONG day. Hubby dropped Jarie off at the vets at 8am this morning, along with a long list of do's and don'ts, from yours truly. Also reminding him of her IBD and compromised immune system. Hubby said she was good being dropped off but was a monster, wanting to visit everyone. LOL, thats are girl.

On a side note, Hubby didn't say goodbye to Jake. So frustrating, if he does not purposely give Jake a kiss on the head, and say goodbye, Jake just sits by the gate by the back door crying and pacing back and forth waiting for his dad to come back in. UGH, he has got all the dogs worked up thinking daddy will be walking back in the door at any moment.

Did I say this is going to be a LONG DAY?!!

Anyhow, hope I get a call this afternoon, that everything went well. Already got her bed ready, and some t-shirts just in case I need them.

·
Registered
5,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks, she handled the surgery fine. She is still at the vets, but hubby will be picking her up shortly. All went well, so now we just have to hope she is a good girl, and lets herself heal without any complications.

Thank goodness this is over. One less hurdle to worry about.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
So happy to hear that all went well with the surgery! I'm sure she will be happy to be home and to see you. I'm sure she will sleep a lot and want some TLC :)

I know you are so glad to have this behind you and wishing for a speedy recovery for Jarie!

·
Registered
5,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Re: Bleeding in her abdomen

Ok guys, now I am scared. My hubby went to pick Jarie up, but the vet noticed she was oozing blood, they took an ultrasound and she is bleeding in her abdomen. They have to reopen her and see what the problem is.

Please send some good vibes this way.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts

One of our rescues had this happen to her. Luckily she spent the night at the hospital. In the morning they took her out for a walk and she collapsed. They took her back into surgery, one of the ligatures was not closed properly. She lost a lot of blood, but recovered within three days.
The vet who did the surgery was very apologetic and they did not charge us for the second surgery and the aftercare.

Best wishes to Jarie....

·
Super Moderator
32,101 Posts

Oh no! It sounds like they're on top of it though - good thing she was still at the vet's. Hopefully they'll find the problem and fix it right away. *sending good vibes to Tammy & Jarie*

·
Registered
1,104 Posts

Oh goodness, this is so not what I wanted to hear. I'm sending good vibes, hugs and prayers your way.

1 - 20 of 131 Posts