German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
5,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't even know where to start, so here is some background, for those of you that don't know.

Jarie, was diagnosed with IBD last year. She also has a compromised immune system, and VWD. She is 2 years old and it has been an uphill battle with her since we brought her home, keeping her health in check.

Since she was spayed, she has improved so much it has been amazing. We feed her Evo RM, which is the only kibble we have found that she can tolerate, which I have always thought was odd with such a high fat content for an IBD dog.

We are very careful not to give her any table scraps, treats of any kind. She gets nothing except her kibble and an occasional peace of meat or cheese that I know she can handle. Her stool has been perfect for the last 5 months.

But now, we have pudding poops again. not only that, but she has been scratching a lot, her ears are red, her eyes are a little red.
She is still eating and drinking good. She is happy and playful.

My question for all of you experts, could all of these symptoms be brought on by stress? I am asking because I have a couple new kids in my daycare, and to put it mildly, they are very very stressful, loud, obnoxious, temper tantrum throwing, never been in daycare before kids.

All of my dogs seem a little stressed from them, even though they are used to the noise and the tantrums, this bunch is much worse then I have ever had, and Jarie seems a little more stressed. So, could the itching, red ears, pudding poop, be caused by her being stressed?

I just can't imagine anything else that could of brought this all on. My poor Jarie.

·
Registered
18,371 Posts
Oh wow I am so sorry for poor Jarie! Don't really have an answer but I know a lot of conditions cmna be bought on or worsened by stress so that is a real possibility.

Has anything else in her environment changed? Almsot sounds like allergies. We have had a lot of brush fires here which has set Kayos' pannus into a flare up too. The smoke in the air is just aggravating her.

Perhaps Jarie is ready to change diets. Even when they do really well on one they sometimes get to not doing as well and need a change for awhile. Trick is finding another one she does well on.

Can you isolate her in a quieter area when the monsters are in the child care?

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
I don't have any advice but just want you to know I put her on my list for good thoughts and prayers.
Robbie

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
Tammy, as you know Annabelle has had several conditions flare up (including IBD) due to a compromised immune system.

Given that stress can affect the immune system, and the immune system effects those exact areas of the body Jarie is having issues with, it's very likely that could be the cause.

Now on to what to do about it. Have you thought about trying one of those D.A.P. Plugins for dogs?

·
Registered
15,138 Posts
I absolutly know that stress can affect a dogs digestive system. When Chey's digestive system was all out of wack, she had cruddy ears and she itched a lot, but it wasn't allergies. So I guess if her digestive system was out of wack most of her body was out of wack also.

Is there a claming plug in that would work on the kids?

Tammy, I take it you didn't lose your computer for a month.

Val

·
Registered
5,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally Posted By: KathyW

Has anything else in her environment changed?

Perhaps Jarie is ready to change diets. Even when they do really well on one they sometimes get to not doing as well and need a change for awhile. Trick is finding another one she does well on.

Can you isolate her in a quieter area when the monsters are in the child care?
No, the only thing that has changed is the daycare children. Our routine, and everything else here is the same.

I am really trying not to change foods, so hopefully it is just stress related. UGH! The only place she could be isolated from the noise and stress of the kids is upstairs, and that just isn't possible. I would rather have her with the family downstairs. She would be more stress separated.

Originally Posted By: mamagooseTammy, as you know Annabelle has had several conditions flare up (including IBD) due to a compromised immune system.

Given that stress can affect the immune system, and the immune system effects those exact areas of the body Jarie is having issues with, it's very likely that could be the cause.

Now on to what to do about it. Have you thought about trying one of those D.A.P. Plugins for dogs?
Thanks Lisa. I never thought about the D.A.P. for the dogs. I use them for the cats all the time, never even occurred to me to use them for the dogs.

Originally Posted By: Wisc.Tiger

Is there a claming plug in that would work on the kids?

Tammy, I take it you didn't lose your computer for a month.

Val
LOL Val, I wish they made a plug in for kids. OMG, I think we need one here now.

I only lost the computer for 4 days. I got Jessi's problem worked out and she is now doing really well. Unfortunatley I keep losing internet access though, and having computer problems. It took me 3 times just to get through to post this. Teach me to never be a betting girl again.

I do know Jarie has some allergies, but nothing has been going around here, food or environmental to cause this flare up. Also, I would like to clear up when I say her eyes are red, it isn't the actual eye, but the eyelids, top and bottom, which happens every time she has one of these flare ups.

I am hoping if it is just stress then this will pass on its own. I hate to think my job becoming too stressful for Jarie.

·
Registered
5,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally Posted By: jes,mag,mistyI don't have any advice but just want you to know I put her on my list for good thoughts and prayers.
Robbie
Thank you Robbie.

·
Registered
18,371 Posts
Calming stuff for kids...... how about Valium in the juice??? Just kidding!

I figured changing diets would not be acceptable actually may stress her more if it is stress related. I had not thought about DAP either. I had used that too with kayos for sep anxienty and it never worked so really had not thought of it in years.

Hope this just works its way out on its own over time.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
I know you haven't changed her routine but it almost seems like a contact allergy since her eyelids are red and ears...anything new blooming outside or anything as simple as changing laundry detergent, maybe anything she lays her face on...then it starts the itch cycle and stressing them out and then you got poop problems. My girl is very sensitive on her face and ears and will get red and itchy easily too...gotta use "free" detergent with no dyes, perfumes, etc.

·
Registered
5,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Sinclair,
I do use *free* detergent just for the reasons you listed.
We don't have anything blooming right now. I haven't changed any perfumes, fabric softeners, cleaning agents, nothing.

I know from her past flare ups, this can take a long time for her to recover from. Her body is so sensitive, the littlest thing can throw her completely out of wack.

Last night her poop was just water with a little pudding at the beginning of it. She hasn't gone yet today. She normally only goes at night. She has been resting more today, as it has been quieter today.
Then the new day care kids won't be back until next Wednesday, so hopefully she will recover.

When she would go through these flare ups in the past, nothing the vet gave us would help. This is why I am hoping she will overcome it on her own.
I try very hard not to change anything with her because of how sensitive her body is.

·
Registered
7,571 Posts
Scratching is often a calming signal. I've found that Camper will scratch when in a stressful (for him) situation. If the situation continues long enough, his GI tract gets weird too.

I think Jarie's issues are due to stress. Actually, given the symptoms and the circumstances the way you describe them, I'd be willing to bet on it

If you can't get her out of the daycare situation when the kids are around, can you get her more exercise (if she can tolerate it physically) and more mental stimulation when they're not around? I found that Zamboni gets a bit stressed when our new puppy is rambunctious. So I put the puppy in her crate and I just do basic obedience training, with some new "tricks" training (yep, like play dead, twirl, shake, etc) with Boni, followed by a nice walk. It doesn't have to be much, just something that is set apart from the usual stuff we do. An extra 30 minutes of attention and brain work. It tires her out more than our normal routine.

I do the same thing with Camper. He gets even more stimulating training. It's amazing how tired their brains get so quickly. Then, when the puppy is bouncing all over the house, they're more willing to go into another room and snooze. I bet Jarie would benefit from something similar, especially if you and Ken could switch off nights.

One of my trainers calls it "Mommy and Me" time. Maybe Jarie just needs a bit more of that -- a place to work through some of that stress?

·
Registered
5,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Lori, I have been thinking the same thing. I even had a talk with Ken last night about increasing her exercise, mentally and physically. Just to help her relieve some of the stress.

I can't do anything with her while the kids are here. Ken walks and works with her in the early morning, and I do at night, but I think we need to add some more time, and mix it up a bit.

I also played with her a bit in the living room today while the daycare kids were sleeping. That isn't much, I can't do much with them here, as they are my responsibility during the day and need to keep an eye on them even while napping. But, I think just that extra play time in the middle of the day helped relieve some of her stress too.

I think the heat here has also been playing a factor. Right now it is 118 outside, and at 9 pm the last few days it is still 100 outside, so I try not to overdo it with her while we are out.

I just came in with her and she wouldn't leave my side to go potty. She just heels next to me and looks at me with the saddest eyes. Finally got her to walk away about a foot from me and pee. She is starting to look really sad.

Thanks for the ideas. I will see how she is later tonight.

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
Just wanted to give my experience with Jakers.He is VERY sensitive to allergens and actually so am I .Thought it interesting this week after about 6 weeks of no problems that Jake was sneezing and had mild diarrhea and I had sneezing itchy eyes and diarrhea.When I went down to farm stand where I buy my fresh veggies the farmer had to excuse himself a couple times to sneeze and wipe eyes!!I guess my feeling is that if dog becomes physically reactive with NO recent change in diet living condition the polluted/changing/seasonal environment may have something to do with it.

·
Registered
7,571 Posts
Ttalldog, usually, I'm the first to jump to environmental causes as the reason for changes like this too. But Vegas just doesn't have the same sorts of pollens (at the same levels) we do.

It was the first thing I checked. http://www.aaaai.org/nab/index.cfm?p=allergenreport&stationid=112&datecount=08%2F14%2F2008

And Tammy explained that things have gotten really stressful.

BTW, have you tried raw local honey for Jake's (and your) allergies? I don't want to say it works miracles. But

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
I was so hoping it might be something easy to at least try to correct.The thing youy posted that caught my heart was "looked at me with saddest eyes"Anone who can look into the eyes of a dog and not either understand what they are trying to say or be sad cause they can not understand will never know what it is like to actually live WITH a dog.Wish I could be of more help.
I so think it is so great that with your problems you suggested something that might helpME!!!thumbs up.

·
Registered
5,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well Jarie and I were playing and she was happy. She seamed really perked up from earlier. Almost as if she was saying "hooray the kids are gone, finally." She was playing in the daycare room, where she loves to play, because she knows she is aloud to run and horse around in there.

Then I decided I better take her outside to potty. Her poops were almost normal.
Not perfect, but formed and easy to pick up and in one spot.

Hopefully she only improves from here. I will keep up with the increased exercise for now and see how she does.

·
Registered
18,371 Posts
Wow I am glad to hear she is coming around. Maybe she picked up a little bug?

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Yeah Jarie! She just needed some more motherly love. Good girl!
Robbie

·
Registered
5,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks guys. Yeh, it has been very peaceful today, so she has been doing really well. She hasn't pooped yet today, but I am thinking everything is going to be ok. Her eyes and ears are still red, but she isn't itching as bad.
I do believe this was all brought on by stress from the kids.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts