German Shepherds Forum banner

81 - 91 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
Great news on the fetch! I love fetch as a training tool.

The way I train, I just let puppies pull. I put them on a harness and use a long line. When they hit about 5-6 months, I introduce leash pressure using markers on a flat collar and then move to a prong to proof the loose leash training.
Thanks. What I had been doing was walking her on a regular length leash (due to being in a residential area with traffic) then when we get to the field where it's safe I let her off leash for running recalls ....and now I can do a little fetch/tug with ball on a rope between recalls ! Unfortunately I think she has already outgrown the harness I had so I will need another.
I think the long line would be great for in the field if I feel there are too many distractions. Sometimes others walk their dogs there...so I haven't been letting her off leash during those times.

I remember seeing the video of you walking off leash with Valor and his eyes were glued to your face ...how does one accomplish that ? Jamie stares at my hand or pocket. If I say "look at me " or point my non treat hand to my nose she will look at me....but it always has to be cued.

·
Super Moderator
4,973 Posts
Thanks. What I had been doing was walking her on a regular length leash (due to being in a residential area with traffic) then when we get to the field where it's safe I let her off leash for running recalls ....and now I can do a little fetch/tug with ball on a rope between recalls ! Unfortunately I think she has already outgrown the harness I had so I will need another.
I think the long line would be great for in the field if I feel there are too many distractions. Sometimes others walk their dogs there...so I haven't been letting her off leash during those times.

I remember seeing the video of you walking off leash with Valor and his eyes were glued to your face ...how does one accomplish that ? Jamie stares at my hand or pocket. If I say "look at me " or point my non treat hand to my nose she will look at me....but it always has to be cued.
Are you marker training?

Timing is critical. Only mark when you have eye contact during the behavior. I use a clicker to start because I think it is more clear to the dog, but it doesn't really matter as long as you have a clear marker.

When you are out adventure training. Wait until her focus is elsewhere and stop walking. When she looks at you, mark and reward.

I didn't really train Valor to do this. He has always given me eye contact from day 1 together. It got reinforced when I was charging the marker and it has stayed a strong habit.

Reactions: SuperAndre

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
Are you marker training?

Timing is critical. Only mark when you have eye contact during the behavior. I use a clicker to start because I think it is more clear to the dog, but it doesn't really matter as long as you have a clear marker.

When you are out adventure training. Wait until her focus is elsewhere and stop walking. When she looks at you, mark and reward.

I didn't really train Valor to do this. He has always given me eye contact from day 1 together. It got reinforced when I was charging the marker and it has stayed a strong habit.
Okay. I do that outside and at home but use "yes" maybe too slow mark (?) and I am probably not doing it often enough. She does give good eye contact generally speaking and is pretty attentive ... but I would like to get her more constant and focused at certain times like when we are out. Will keep working on it. Thanks.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I wouldn't be too strict on loose leash walking at her age. Let her explore and be a pup! You could play little games with her to make her more interested in you rather than the environment.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
I wouldn't be too strict on loose leash walking at her age. Let her explore and be a pup! You could play little games with her to make her more interested in you rather than the environment.
Perhaps I didn't explain well. At 14 wks I don't expect her to walk perfectly beside me but I do think that more engagement - look at me- is well within her capabilities. That said it's up to me to reinforce that. I have been rewarding more for eye contact and she is doing it more on walks - and interestingly enough since encouraging this more - she has been more confident and relaxed on the walk and showing more of what I would consider normal interest in other things.
What I mean is that instead of watching the person across the street walking their dog with aprehension and not wanting to take her eyes off....she now looks at them and goes "oh, okay it's a person with a dog - focus back on mom now - no big deal".

·
Registered
Hi, it’s Andre
568 Posts
Perhaps I didn't explain well. At 14 wks I don't expect her to walk perfectly beside me but I do think that more engagement - look at me- is well within her capabilities. That said it's up to me to reinforce that. I have been rewarding more for eye contact and she is doing it more on walks - and interestingly enough since encouraging this more - she has been more confident and relaxed on the walk and showing more of what I would consider normal interest in other things.
What I mean is that instead of watching the person across the street walking their dog with aprehension and not wanting to take her eyes off....she now looks at them and goes "oh, okay it's a person with a dog - focus back on mom now - no big deal".
Seems like really good progress to me! Congratulations

Reactions: EgansMom

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
Gardening glove ? What gardening glove ? Wasn't me - musta been that other puppy.
You know, the naughty one !

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
I'm very concerned. When do you admit that your puppy has a hoarding problem and find a good psychiatrist ? On the bright side she will play fetch with anything!

81 - 91 of 91 Posts