German Shepherds Forum banner

61 - 80 of 91 Posts

Registered
So Jamie's latest trick has been throwing around her water dish when it's half full...so thinking I would outsmart her I put her water in the super heavy huge ceramic insert from my crock pot. No way she can pick that up right ? She still outsmarted me because .....now it's a kiddie pool.

If there's one thing young bear did I'm glad Cion doesn't, it is this. I remember my friend saying Greg have you seen this? I look in the kitchen and the floor is covered in water. He is the only dog I've had this happen with.

Registered
She is adorable!
I feel like I am getting all the puppy cuteness without having my arm or leg chewed on, thank you 馃榿
Hard to believe that such a cute little thing would want to gnaw on your body parts...

She looks like a busy active little girl, very healthy!

Registered
Discussion Starter #63 (Edited by Moderator)
Not my gold standard FWIW, just genuinely want you both to succeed and I remember your post creating quite a bit of discussion. :) She looks and sounds lovely, I鈥檓 sure it will be just a stepping stone on a great journey.
She really is very smart and very sweet natured. I scared the willies out of her about stores and really regret that. She has very quickly gotten over the more minor things that spooked her at first and I think barky dogs and stores will ultimately be okay too.

Registered
Discussion Starter #64
If there's one thing young bear did I'm glad Cion doesn't, it is this. I remember my friend saying Greg have you seen this? I look in the kitchen and the floor is covered in water. He is the only dog I've had this happen with.
On the bright side...it seems unlikely that when the warm weather comes she will be afraid of swimming. Also that she tries to jump in the tub with me :)

Registered
Discussion Starter #65 (Edited)
She is adorable!
I feel like I am getting all the puppy cuteness without having my arm or leg chewed on, thank you 馃榿
Hard to believe that such a cute little thing would want to gnaw on your body parts...

She looks like a busy active little girl, very healthy!
I am amazed at how strong she is for a 12 wk old puppy. This chair is piled with my sofa cushions (she was chewing) and has a throw with strings hanging down. She grabs a string and drags the chair and all the stuff piled on it clear across the living room for "fun". She has a wicked grip and is very determined !
IMG_2709.JPG

Registered
So Jamie's latest trick has been throwing around her water dish when it's half full...so thinking I would outsmart her I put her water in the super heavy huge ceramic insert from my crock pot. No way she can pick that up right ? She still outsmarted me because .....now it's a kiddie pool.

Yah I could have told you that wouldn't work out lol
We have large ceramic dog food bowls, very heavy..... Rogan carried his to me in another room at 12 weeks old

Registered
That's a joke right ??
Sorry. You would have had to have read the other thread. The short answer is no not again.
The longer answer is from now on I do things according to what she is showing me she is ready to do. All I succeeded in doing was making her frightened of going into stores.
Now I have to take a few steps back and I have my work cut out for me. She got out of the car at the pet store today but when I picked her up to approach the store she started trembling. Back in the car she was put immediately. I am not pushing her. Especially right now when everything/everyone in regards to shopping has stressed out covid vibe.
Just a small thing but if she started to get nervous approaching the pet store, I would have put her down did a 90 degree for a pleasant little walk or something else she enjoyed or just backed up and let her observe from a ways back that nothing bad happens there. THEN back in the car so as not associate the undesired behavior with the reward (what she wanted, back to safety in the car).

There's a middle ground to bucking her up and entering the store. This is a variation of getting in the car and hanging out and letting them back out for a dog scared of the car or leaving the house and coming back in 1 minute later over and over for a dog with separation anxiety. It's like a micro-does of whatever ails them without giving fully in to the issue.

Registered
Discussion Starter #69
Just a small thing but if she started to get nervous approaching the pet store, I would have put her down did a 90 degree for a pleasant little walk or something else she enjoyed or just backed up and let her observe from a ways back that nothing bad happens there. THEN back in the car so as not associate the undesired behavior with the reward (what she wanted, back to safety in the car).

There's a middle ground to bucking her up and entering the store. This is a variation of getting in the car and hanging out and letting them back out for a dog scared of the car or leaving the house and coming back in 1 minute later over and over for a dog with separation anxiety. It's like a micro-does of whatever ails them without giving fully in to the issue.
Thank you that's very helpful. I had been replaying it in my mind for that very same reason and trying to come up with a re adjusted plan but I am crazy puppy worn out and sometimes when we are tired our brain (or just my brain) doesn't connect the dots

Registered
Yah I could have told you that wouldn't work out lol
We have large ceramic dog food bowls, very heavy..... Rogan carried his to me in another room at 12 weeks old
I got rude the ceramic bowls pretty early on with Bear. He grabbed one and threw it down the stairs. He then tried to bring the broken pieces back upstairs.

Super Moderator
Check for Nosework videos on Leerburg. Andrew Ramsey has a series that is easy to follow.
I took nosework classes with Andrew for a few months, several years ago. It was around the time I started taking flyball classes with Halo and I decided to devote my training time to that instead. But Halo and I make a brief appearance on one of Andrew鈥檚 DVDs. I can鈥檛 recall if it was the first or second in the series, but if you see a sable longcoat that鈥檚 my girl. I鈥檓 not sure if Keefer made it in the final cut or not, but they shot video of him too and he did appear in a Leerburg promo for the series.

Registered
Discussion Starter #74
So I woke up and couldn't get back to sleep. Thought I would share some good news. Not only did I take her through her routine in the driveway with barky poodleX going on, but I have also done it a couple of times in the house with a barky poodle vid playing in the background.
We were playing flirt pole in the yard yesterday and a different dog started barking on the street. Jamie only had a very slight pause and I would say very mild apprehension. She barely missed a beat and just continued playing. :) Way better !
I have been thinking a lot about what happens when we are working on luring.
I think it:
keeps her focus on me
gives her confidence in me and herself
changes her head space to positive
tells her don't worry about scary things it's just you and me kid and I'm not worried

It's the same idea I used with Egan except he was a 75lb full grown male who wanted to rip the throats out of other dogs. He would lunge, snarl, jump and twist. He went at it so hard he pulled his shoulder muscle.
Personally I don't think you need to address the situation by putting them right in the situation.
What I taught him was to focus on me and amazingly other dogs when walking became a non issue.
I am sure what works for me doesn't work for all. But his aggression came from fear so he gained confidence from working with and focusing on me.

So maybe the answer for Jamie is being the crazy lady walking her through luring positions in front of stores ! Preferably not in my pajamas ! :rolleyes:

Registered
Discussion Starter #76
Just weighed - 12wks and 26lbs . She's raw fed, solid and fast as a bullet... like holy fast Batman ! When we play flirt pole she comes in fast and hard balls to the wall (and yes I keep low with no sharp turns) . And she's kinda gorgeous and so sweet and affectionate. Sorry can't help the brag. She is getting more confident every day. I'm totally in love. :love:

Registered
Discussion Starter #79
2 lessons and my smarty pants is nailing fetch ! Yay. It's really nice to have another interactive game that's not flirt pole, tug or chew mommy. She's also nailing "here" in a low distraction field. It's immediate and she comes in as fast as her little legs can churn. So much that she overshoots me and has to back track a bit. :LOL:
She understands "out" for ball and tug (which is also very handy when my arm or jacket is in her mouth ), working on "leave it" mostly in the context of "don't eat your own poo" .lol
What I'm having a little trouble with is focusing on me when on leash. She also still pulls despite the martingale.
I lure with food in the house for heel, sit and down but is the heeling you do with food luring supposed to somehow carry over to leash walking ?
She responds to leash pressure in the house or yard but once we go out into the world she loses focus and gets excited and pulls....but she does have moments where she loose leash walks beside me and looks at me.
Overall I just feel like I don't have her attention enough and would really like to get her looking at my face rather than my treat pocket/hand or everything else in the world.

Super Moderator
2 lessons and my smarty pants is nailing fetch ! Yay. It's really nice to have another interactive game that's not flirt pole, tug or chew mommy. She's also nailing "here" in a low distraction field. It's immediate and she comes in as fast as her little legs can churn. So much that she overshoots me and has to back track a bit. :LOL:
She understands "out" for ball and tug (which is also very handy when my arm or jacket is in her mouth ), working on "leave it" mostly in the context of "don't eat your own poo" .lol
What I'm having a little trouble with is focusing on me when on leash. She also still pulls despite the martingale.
I lure with food in the house for heel, sit and down but is the heeling you do with food luring supposed to somehow carry over to leash walking ?
She responds to leash pressure in the house or yard but once we go out into the world she loses focus and gets excited and pulls....but she does have moments where she loose leash walks beside me and looks at me.
Overall I just feel like I don't have her attention enough and would really like to get her looking at my face rather than my treat pocket/hand or everything else in the world.
Great news on the fetch! I love fetch as a training tool.

The way I train, I just let puppies pull. I put them on a harness and use a long line. When they hit about 5-6 months, I introduce leash pressure using markers on a flat collar and then move to a prong to proof the loose leash training.

61 - 80 of 91 Posts