German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our 3 year old GSD has ear infections ALL THE TIME! We spend about $100 bucks at the vet monthly. They usually give her a steroid of some type and then ear drops of some kind?

We gone through the process of eliminating foods since the vet said it was most likely a food allergy.

Here's what we've tried:
4 Health - Large Breed
4 Heatlh - Grain Free - Whitefish & Potato - To eliminate grains
Taste of the Wild - Wetlands - It was actually cheaper than Grain Free 4 Health and had a better rating
Taste of the Wild - High Prairie

and now we're back to Taste of the Wild - Wetlands cause I'm not really sure I see any other food to eliminate. Thoughts? Recommendations? She's going back to the vet tomorrow.

·
Registered
7,274 Posts
Have you tried getting a skin scrape or blood work testing done to help pin point what her allergies are?

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Have you done any allergy testing to rule out allergies?? That would have been the first thing I did. I spent less than $300 to send blood to a lab in California, I could get the name, so your vet can send it there for testing. Very good pricing. Try not to keep changing too many things at once. The ears are a place a body detoxes itself, and that is what is happening. So probably allergy related. Get some organic raw coconut oil to start feeding. You can also let it melt into the ears. I use it myself as well. Taste of the wild is a great food, keep her on it, and get testing done.

·
Registered
476 Posts

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Our 3 year old GSD has ear infections ALL THE TIME! We spend about $100 bucks at the vet monthly. They usually give her a steroid of some type and then ear drops of some kind?

We gone through the process of eliminating foods since the vet said it was most likely a food allergy.

Here's what we've tried:
4 Health - Large Breed
4 Heatlh - Grain Free - Whitefish & Potato - To eliminate grains
Taste of the Wild - Wetlands - It was actually cheaper than Grain Free 4 Health and had a better rating
Taste of the Wild - High Prairie

and now we're back to Taste of the Wild - Wetlands cause I'm not really sure I see any other food to eliminate. Thoughts? Recommendations? She's going back to the vet tomorrow.
I believe these are all pretty much the same foods. Diamond makes some of the 4health and they make TOTW

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have two dogs with food allergies. One had recurring ear problems. Flairups would usually occur when she got into people food she should not eat like pizza crusts from the trash can. This is what worked for me: Zymox Ear Cleanser With Bio-Active Enzymes, 4 oz.

Pet King Brand Zymox Otic Enzymatic Solution for Pet Ears, 4 Ounces

I only use the cleanser once a week now because her ears have cleared up nicely. Available on amazon. Not really expensive.
You use both of them? Or one of then daily the other once a week?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts