German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
www.PetHarbor.com pet:ONSL.A045583

Can't get someone to answer the phone, they might be closed (it's snowing here and everything shuts down when that happens). When the roads clear up a bit I'm going to drive over there and see. I can pull him and travel up to 2 hours away to meet someone, but I can't keep him more than a few days. This is a VERY high kill shelter.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
bump!

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
OP it sounds like you're in jville. Nice to know i'm not alone here! Big bump for handsome guy.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes I am! Never met anyone on the board who was as well. {Another bump}

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Yes I am! Never met anyone on the board who was as well. {Another bump}

i know theres a couple people down in wilmington!

another big bump for this guy.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
bump!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I actually went and met this guy today. He is very friendly and is in surprisingly good shape. Energetic, especially for a 7 yr old (not sure on his age, that's an estimate). We were not allowed to bring him in a kennel with other dogs but there were dogs on either side of him and he was wagging his tail while sniffing them.

After spending about 20 minutes with him, we introduced him to our 2 year old son. We have a GSD at home so Justin is very respectful with dogs and let the dog come to him. He did so immediately and was licking him and very friendly.

He definitely was someone's pet not too long ago. He has manners and knows sit, down, and come. He didn't try to jump on us and walked calmly on a leash. He's still a good weight with no bones showing, no cuts, no limp, etc. He was picked up as a stray and only had a choke collar on, no microchip or ID tag, and no one has called to claim him.

He isn't neutered but the adoption fee of $90 includes a $55 neuter voucher. If the adopter's vet doesn't accept vouchers then the adopter can send proof of neuter along with the voucher back to Onslow County shelter and the shelter will refund $55 of the adoption fee.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
what a sweetie! i'm trying to talk hubby into letting me adopt him but so far he says no.

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
Oh come on hubby!!!!!!!

·
Registered
19,157 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Come on husband! I wish I knew if he was good with cats but they insisted that animals be kept separated. He was so nice though, his tail never stopped wagging!

·
Registered
7,466 Posts
he sounds like a dear boy. can anyone help this now ultra-urgent guy?

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
see thats what i cant stand about Onslow Shelter. Theres a controlled environment but then there is a smothering to death environment. It would help greatly to be able to cat test him. If they were more helpful, i think more animals would get adopted out.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'll pay $35 of the fee if the adopter pays the remaining $55 that will go towards the spay. I'll also transport him up to an hour away.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
BIG bump for this guy. This shelter wont hestitate a second to add him to the kill list. Still trying to talk hubby into it but no luck here.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The staff member I talked to said he wasn't on the PTS list for this Friday, but that he would probably be for next Friday.

We actually ended up taking another shepherd home that WAS on the PTS list for this week. I'm such a sucker, I should never be allowed to go to a shelter. I could easily become an animal hoarder! We didn't have any intention of keeping him but now Kaiser, our GSD, thinks he's the greatest thing since raw chicken. We'll see.

I've posted this guy on Craigslist and Lejeune Yard Sales so I'm hoping someone goes and picks him up. I've also applied to be a foster for GSRA in Raleigh so if that gets approved there's a possibility that I can pick him up and transfer him to the rescue. If my vet would just get back to the coordinator this would be moving alot quicker!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts