German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I have a 4 month old german shepherd and a 8 month Jack Russell.. My german shep. Is always hyper around my jack russell he never just calms down and is always BITING the other dogs neck and biting his tail and stuff my Jack Russell can only be patient for so long.. Until the other dog bites a bit too hard and the jack russell attacks him. Are they playing? Should I separate them? How do I make the GSD calm? Is this normal? Help! I have so many questions.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Banned
377 Posts
It's a lot to ask of a GSD puppy to NOT be hyper around a JR. The JR will teach him bite control and keep him in his place. That is probably all that is happening.

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
How is the JR's energy around the GSD?

Dogs feed off each other's energy, my sister and brother in law have a mininature pinscher, he's cute as a button and sweet but HYPER. He's two years old but energy like you wouldn't believe, especially around other dogs. He also doesn't see himself as small so he'll try and play with the big boys without a backwards glance and being only 12 lbs or so can seriously get hurt. Not a good match for Delgado who feeds off other dogs energy so he'll get just as hyper and goofy

We find keeping both on leash for the first couple of minutes keeps things from being heated and then consistent control, they can sniff and play a bit but any rough housing and they get leashed and play stopped. They've learned now to control their energy around each other and that rough housing is not allowed. Sometimes they forget but a quick "knock it off" gets them back to normal. This is months of training however, not unlike training them to stay calm around cats

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How is the JR's energy around the GSD?

Dogs feed off each other's energy, my sister and brother in law have a mininature pinscher, he's cute as a button and sweet but HYPER. He's two years old but energy like you wouldn't believe, especially around other dogs. He also doesn't see himself as small so he'll try and play with the big boys without a backwards glance and being only 12 lbs or so can seriously get hurt. Not a good match for Delgado who feeds off other dogs energy so he'll get just as hyper and goofy

We find keeping both on leash for the first couple of minutes keeps things from being heated and then consistent control, they can sniff and play a bit but any rough housing and they get leashed and play stopped. They've learned now to control their energy around each other and that rough housing is not allowed. Sometimes they forget but a quick "knock it off" gets them back to normal. This is months of training however, not unlike training them to stay calm around cats
I think I'm going to start doing that. I don't mind them playing but, my GSD's ears havent stood up yet, i'm scared of my jr biting them.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
Yep, you're not telling them to sit in a corner and do nothing all day, simply keep the play to a reasonable level. You can mix small and big dogs together but supervision and rules do need to come into effect for the safety of both :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts