German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a sick boy, he had diarrhea all day yesterday & vomited last night so I am making chicken and rice but I only have brown rice. My question is, does it make a difference? I know the benefit of white rice is the starch but I don't think brown rice has all the starch. Is chicken and brown rice still considered bland?

We have an appointment with the vet in the morning for a check up but I really think this is my fault. He had more than his share of the leg of lamb I made for supper Wednesday including the oil from the bottom of the roasting pan. I think it was really just to rich for him, although I am not sure with the vomiting happening so long after. Today he is not himself although last night my DH came home from work and he and Jack played with the Frisbees for an hour, everything seemed normal (aside from diarrhea) then the vomiting happened late last night. I will say he didn't eat much yesterday morning and none of his dinner last night but again, not totally abnormal for Jack we have a very rare dog that actually regulates his weight and there are many times that he refuses a meal or two. I am hoping he will eat the chicken and rice and hold it down.

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
I have done chicken or ground beef & brown rice as a bland meal when my boy had diarrhea. I let him indulge on a raw marrow bone he got awful diarrhea. My vet advised fasting for 12-24 hours, bland diet and water but not to let him gulp.

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
I use brown rice because it has nutrients in it. The most important thing is to add twice as much water and cook for twice as long so the rice is really mushy.

Also, feed broth only until the diarrhea and vomiting stops.

I just read your suspected cause--hopefully this is not pancreatitis. Is he showing any pain?

Do you have any slippery elm? If so, I'd give him that every few hours.

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
fat that is heated , pan drippings, gravy turkey chicken fat, cooked bacon fat , is very difficult to digest and can inflame the pancreas.
Don't worry about food . Let him rest till you see the vet . Provide clean water . Digestive enzymes will take the burden from the pancreas.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone, he doesn't appear to be in any pain but he just isn't himself.

On a happy note when I put the packaging from the chicken into the trash can he popped right up and put his head in the can because he smelled it. Haha! It's the first normal sign I've seen from him all day!

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Carmen,

He has had fresh water all day and hasn't touched it, but again that isn't entirely abnormal. At this point it's been 28 hours since he has eaten and we don't see the vet for another 24 hours. Are you suggesting I wait to feed him, it seems like a very long time to go without food.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
he might start puking because he hasn't had any food. If it's been that long I would definitely offer him a small amount of the brown rice and chicken.

Maybe he's not eating because it doesn't taste good? You can use non-fat chicken broth to cook the rice in, or put the rice and chicken into one pan on the stove and cook it. Maybe a little pumpkin or a tiny bit of yogurt to make it more appetizing. I always add a probiotic to the bland meal to help with digestion too. When mine is sick she doesnt like the rice unless I cook it with the chicken

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
I would not use brown rice, but pasta instead. The point of the white rice is to have some bland and mild, easy to digest. Brown rice has more fiber which could be an irritant.

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
Anastasia, if its been 28 hrs since his last ate I would offer him a meal. His gut has had a break. Good thing he has a vet appointment tomorrow anyway.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Just wanted to update...

I fed him a chicken breast and about a cup of rice, he held it down. When my DH (read Jack's reason for living) came home for work he perked up and seemed more like himself. When DH and I had supper he was very interested in what we were eating and since he had held his food down for over an hour and a half and he seemed genuinely hungry I fed him another breast and some rice. He has been fine all evening, playful, hungry and more like my goofy loveable boy.

I can't thank you all enough for your posts, I appreciate your help and please know that all of you that have posted helped me to remain calm and make a common sense, informed decision for Jack. We will still keep our appointment tomorrow just in case but I think we have passed the worst of it! Thanks again!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts