German Shepherds Forum banner
41 - 42 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
THRILLED to have found this thread -- been researching this for months. I have found some information and have made some conclusions. I'd LOVE feedback without judgement. Years ago in my 20's I ran to the vet every time my pets flatulated inconsistently. In my 40's, I manage MOST equine, canine and feline issues on my own. Heartworm preventative has been my newest conquest.

I have not begun (YET) dosing my dogs yet using equine de-wormer. I've been researching, reading blogs, etc... and am gearing up to do it now that school is out and I can monitor them 24/7 for days after admin.

Here's what I've found so far:

* Dogs can be treated with Ivermectin as it is the main ingredient in Heartgard.

* HWD is ALSO treated with ivermectin in either a FAST KILL method similar to chemo day stay at hospital (# of visits depend on practice/protocol, etc) because dose is higher or SLOW KILL method which is... wait for it... similar to or same as the preventative dose in heartgard.

* Difference between Heartgard and Heartgard Plus is the addition of Pyrantel to address hooks and rounds.

* Fenbendazol is also used for dogs similarly to horses who get a "panacur power pack"... dogs can get a 3-day dose for rounds, hooks and whips if suspected.

* Praziquantel is also given to dogs as well as horses for tapeworms.

* I reviewed the MDR1 info and breed list and realize that GSD's are on it. That IS very scary. I also read some blogs of dogs who actually had the temporary blindness and wobbling symptoms and in the majority of those cases, these people DOUBLED the dose of ivermectin recommonded. (!!! :eek: !!!) per peer advisement.

OK: Here's what I'm thinking:

* I am absolutely sure that ANY vet would vehemently warn against this for two reasons:
1. THE MORE NOBLE: The laymen runs the risk of misdosing and COULD really hurt or kill their animal (s).
2. CAPITALISM: They stand to lose a BOATLOAD of money if this information gets out to the gen pop and more resources become available to people. Think about it. Annual exams, yearly heartworm tests REQUIRED to by some practices to get your year's supply of HWM, heartworm preventatives that are GORGED in cost to the consumer (pun intended) vs. the OTC rate for equine de-wormers. It would be long and arduous, IF AT ALL POSSIBLE, for any legislature to get passed requiring veterinary approval to purchase equine de-wormer. So they'd be screwed, as more and more people create resources for dog owners for self management, $$$$$$ in veterinary services will be lost. If I was a vet, I'd try to scare the heck out of my clients too! That would be one less trip to Europe for ME!!! :wild:

* Dose slightly below calculated doseage.

* Be ABSOLUTELY SURE of your dogs' weight.

* I am feeling that rotational de-worming might be smart for dogs too.

* Make sure the method of calculation is ROCK SOLID aka, GET A SCALE. It will pay for itself in the first quarter.

What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
More recent thread with lots of good info:
http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/292138-anyone-use-ivomec-their-gsd.html

My initial thought is that while in general it's important to dose accurately, this particular drug has a HUGE range. As long as the dog is not MDR-1 problematic or have any other reactions to the drug, you don't need to know your dog's weight to the tenth of a pound. I actually dose my dogs 8x what is in a Heartgard tablet and I know people that give their dogs 2-3x more than I do. If you are real nervous about the dosing or your dog's reaction, maybe just don't do it at all and stick to the commercially available tablets?

41 - 42 of 42 Posts