German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just gave my pups their interceptor for the month when my mom called about her dog Ruby who has had the mange issues. Anyway since Ruby is on Ivomec 1% for the mange the vet told my mom to stop HW treatment with her Interceptor since it is the same thing anyway and it would be overkill. She told my mom she could give Ruby a full cc a month after her treatment for the mange as HW prevention since Ruby is 100 lbs. Basically .1 of a cc per 10 lbs. of dog. I thought this was strange and looked it up on line....apparently even though this stuff is for swine and cattle lots of people do this with their pups.

Then I did a search on here and see some of you do this. My question is is this safe? The Ivomec 1% is super cheap compared to the Interceptor I pay for, but then again if this was a good idea I wonder why everyone is not doing this. Anyone else willing to share some insight here?

·
Registered
214 Posts
Only insight I have on Ivomec was using it on cattle. I think they eventually developed a resistance to it. It's been many years though since raising cattle though so my memory is a little fuzzy.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ivermectin is the active ingredient in all HW preventatives though so does this mean our dogs can be resistant to them as well?

·
Registered
214 Posts
I'm not sure. It's a good question though.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My lab has been on interceptor since he was a wee guy every month and is always HW- at our yearly visit. It just seems weird my mom's vet would recommend this though when looking at the ingredients they read the same?

·
Registered
214 Posts
After scanning some of the ivomec resistance information for cattle, I see they've moved to Ivomec Plus as a general rule which claims to have less problems than what we were using 15 years ago as a pour-on for our beef herd. Mind you, this is really fast scanning as I can barely remember much on beef operation since I chose to forget most of it. We diluted it with water and sprayed it on in the summer to keep flies and parasites down.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I ordered some to give it a try. I still have another three months of interceptor for my dogs and they will be tested again for HW in 3 months when their yearly appointment is anyway. It cost me $50 for 50ml's of Ivomec 1%, 1 cc syringes, and shipping which sure beats the over $200 I spend in one year to treat both of them not to mention the fact my vet charges me $50 per dog to test for HW each year before dispensing the meds. I'll still have them tested yearly but this Ivomec 1% may be my way to go:)

·
Registered
214 Posts
Let me know how that works out for you. They probably carry the 1% at the feed store and I love getting supplies where we have an account. lol

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
They do carry it at Tractor supply stores, Amazon, and other online pet stores. I won't begin using it until January when the Interceptor runs out. I'm sure this will displease my vet, but she doesn't like grain free foods either,lol

·
Registered
27,315 Posts
I use Ivomec 1%(NOT plus) injectable from tractor supply. It ran about $35.
You do not inject it but give orally once a month in the dose posted above .1cc for 10#.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I know not to inject it and I didn't order the plus either I figured I didn't need all that extra protection from things they don't even encounter. I'll be giving .9 of a cc to each dog once monthly since their both 90 lbs. I don't have a local tractor supply so I had to pay $43 but that still beats the 100's spent a year on interceptor. I can't believe I didn't figure this out sooner and I'm glad someone else on here uses this as well.

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
I use 1% ivermectin solution as well for heartworm. I prefer it as its cheaper, and does not have additional wormers found in heartgard plus.

For its comparison to Interceptor, Interceptor also works against intestinal worms including whip worms. So you have to determine which you prefer to use.

Do NOT ever use Ivomec plus, the plus is because it has an additional wormer for liver flukes in livestock and is NOT safe for dogs. Only use the 1% ivermectin solution. It tastes quite bad, so after giving it to the dog follow up with something really yummy. I typically put the liquid on something absorbent such as bread and then give hot dog pieces after.

·
Registered
27,315 Posts
I drizzle it into the green tripe so the dogs cant taste it!
Zoeys mom, I figured you knew not to inject but for others reading the thread, because it is labeled injectable, it should be pointed out that we give it to dogs orally.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I had to dose my mom's dog while in Florida and yes she hated it,lol I figure some yummy treats afterwards should do the trick:)

·
Registered
27,315 Posts
I tried that and it won't absorb. It just ran out.

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
So you would buy the "1% injection" formula, but give it orally instead? I've dealt with giving many dogs ivermectin orally at the shelter for mange, but never thought of this. I just found the "Injection" on amazon. Safe to order?

·
Registered
27,315 Posts
Yes that is the one to give ORALLY. You can get it at Tractor Supply though they carry the Merial label in my location

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I know when I was a vet tech we prescribed it for mange and now my mom is using for HW prevention. I never put two and two together before she called me today:) I'll test annually for HW to make sure it's working, but I don't see why it wouldn't be safe if heartguard is safe but is dosed for dogs 50-100 lbs.....never seemed very accurate to me,lol This seems like a more accurate dose just make sure to order the 1cc syringe and get a good weight on your dog before using.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts