German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question, for those of you who use Ivermectin for heartworm preventive...how do you prevent other parasites?

The way I understand it is the ivermectin is for heartworm only. The Heartguard plus also has a dewormer. If I chose to do the ivermectin for preventive HW then what do I use for parasites or do I?

Thanks!

·
Registered
31,974 Posts
Ivermectin is wormer that works on quite a few parasites. I use it in a rotation for my horse for various worms at specific times of the year

Heartguard should have a guarantee that if your dog contracts the worms ivermectin is supposed to protect against then they will pay for the additional wormer and possibly the exam/fecal. I use the other heartworm med and they have that guarantee.

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
The plain heartguard is for HW only; the plus does HW and parasites. I use the plain heartguard and have never had to treat for worms in any of my dogs over the years once they were past that initial 3-4 months of age. I figure if I should ever suspect my dogs might have worms, I will have a fecal run and give the appropriate med for that worm at that time. I don't like giving more medications than my dogs absolutely need.

·
2,967 Posts
I think it depends on the dosage of ivermectin. The amount of Ivermectin in Heartguard is very small compared to what many people dose with straight Ivermectin. I mean a higher level dosage of ivermectin is often used to kill mites in mange right? So Ivermectin is useful on many blood borne parasites. I believe one of parasites it is not effective on is tapeworms.

We dose 1/10 cc per 10lbs of Ivomec and do not generally use another wormer unless we spot a problem. At which point we then usually worm all the dogs with a generic wormer that covers tapes.

http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/ivermectin-ivomec-heartgard/page1.aspx

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for helping me sort it all out, I want to start using ivermectin from TSC on a monthly basis, so I wasn't sure if Jake will need anything additional.
Also I can't find out if it needs to refrigerated since I will have the bottle well over a year????

·
Registered
800 Posts
Yes, refridgerate the Ivermectin. It will work on other worms, just not hook or tape. Have the dog tested for all worms when you have them tested for heartworm, its what I do with my poodles.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts