German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
good way to stop her. Pick it up as soon as she's done just like you would on a walk. If its not there to eat, clearly she wont be able to eat it.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Check for Coccidia and Giardia even if the poop isn't loose.
Feed 3 smaller meals a day, she may be getting too hungry in between meals.
Also check for EPI and other digestion problems, if the food isn't being completely digested, the dog smells the "nutrition value" of the food and will eat it.

·
Registered
717 Posts
I've given up on stopping Leo, and just go out with her and keep an eye on her. I also pick up the yard everyday, sometimes two or three times a day.

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
good way to stop her. Pick it up as soon as she's done just like you would on a walk. If its not there to eat, clearly she wont be able to eat it.
:thumbup:

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
I had that problem with Raina - tried pineapple in her food, everything that people suggested - but the only thing that works 100% of the time is pick up the poop right away. I keep a kitty litter scoop on the shelf in the backyard and watch her until she goes then pick it up right away. I also scan the yard for kitty poop in the morning before she goes out. I'm hoping if she doesn't eat it for long enough she will forget. But you can't slack off even once or they go for the poop again. I've talked with my vet and Raina has been thoroughly checked for any medical cause -it's just that it taste good I guess! Good luck

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
It tastes yummy delicious to many of our dogs. So be the same as saying 'I have roasted garlic chicken pieces all over my yard and I can't get my puppy to stop eating it!' :)

Management by picking it up immediately PLUS teaching a reliable 'leave it' work the best. Both mean if your pup goes out, then you go out.

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
Pick it up Pick it up... My puppy is 9 weeks old and she knows what NO means and LEAVE IT! If she even looks over her poop I say one or the other and off she goes. I am in a wheelchair and can not pick up the land mines until my wife comes home.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts