German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Of How many times I've quicked Ranger. He's so bloody cooperative and easy to clip, yet I get him often enough some how. He never holds a grudge about it either. Both girls are a hassle, I think I've gotten Tuke once years ago and Zoey never though the look they give me when I pull the clippers out you'd think it was a common occurrence. On a side note, woo hoo for styptic powder.

·
Banned
1,255 Posts
I’ve found a flashlight is pretty handy with finding the quick on dogs with black nails. I can trim my pup and my Husky, my senior GSD hates it so much, the vet has to sedate and muzzle her.

·
Super Moderator
6,102 Posts
I've never quicked any of mine.Yet.They don't enjoy it but it's the only time they get bacon treats so they look very sad but put up with it.

·
Banned
1,255 Posts
The magnifier is a brilliant idea, definitely going to steal that tip from you! I used to do my friends bulldog for her because she was too nervous to do it. I cut his quick a few times ?. And he didn’t even have black nails! Made me feel like the worst person in the world every time.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I quicked Shasta once really bad. I felt horrible. Superglue works wonders to stop the bleeding! She forgave me.....

I went down and got a Dremel. She took to it really easy. Now it is no problem, and I will never look back. Her nails look so good, and you won't get scratched by the sharp edges left after clipping anymore. I get complements on them all the time.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Nitro was sedated for hip Xrays as a youngster, I requested they clip his nails while he was under. He woke up real quick when they started on his nails. I use a dremel on him, no stress or pressure.

·
Registered
7,387 Posts
I have hit the quick it’s easy to do especially if they are short. I always do them by the sliding glass door with lots of light and and try to take sliver off at a time. My little chihuahua has white nails it happens to. It’s why I like the dremel.

·
Registered
708 Posts
My dogs practically line up to have their nails trimmed, they know a slice of cheese is waiting afterwards. Especially my dobie, he will sit politely and present his paws one at a time for me. Never hit a quick except once a long time ago on my pit bull who ironically has clear nails, she hasn’t forgotten and isn’t as comfortable as the boys but is fairly easy overall. I tried a dremel once and I couldn’t even get near them, they were terrified I think of the noise. Since they’re so good for the clippers I haven’t attempted again.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts