German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know why a breeder would lop off the tip of a dog's ear? If you fold the leather in half, the cut is perfectly straight like a pair of scissors was used. I usually crop the my pictures so it doesn't show. I can't tell you why, except that it pains me to think what he felt when this happened. Has anyone ever seen this before?

Attachments

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
Thanksgiving 2010, we all remember in my family. My parents two females got into a AWFUL fight. One getting her ear tip ripped/bit off. It could have been a fight.

He is a handsome boy, regardless:)

·
Registered
4,953 Posts
Could have been to remove something. I will tell all the youngsters who may read this that "back in the day" it wasn't uncommon to notch a dogs ears for identification.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's what I was thinking, Sabis mom. The short story on him, the people who had him on the chain only had him for 5 weeks. Prior he was with his breeder, in a 10x10 with multiple other dogs. I was told the breeder was a trainer of search and rescue dogs, but Simon is clearly not a working dog. I believe he hails from WGSLs. (I'll post a full body at when I get a decent one) With his extreme fear aggression, intense dislike of males and plethora of health issues, I thought it was a mark of failure. I don't think a bite would cause a perfectly straight line, as I stated, folded in half it looks like a scissor cut. This poor dog, he is such a bloody mess.

·
Registered
7,248 Posts
There are many well bred wgsl who do search and rescue work. I have not heard of breeders notching of a poorly bred dogs but they do notch off feral cats ears after being neutered and spayed. You had mentioned your dog was in a kennel with other dogs unsupervised so I would imagine most likely another dog did this. He still handsome though. My aunt had a husky and often dropped him off to a pet day care who he was playing with another husky he was friends with at the dog park. Play got to touch rough and the other husky bit a third of my aunts dogs ear off. A third of the ear missing. Looked like a precise straight cut of a surgeon not of dogs teeth.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts