German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I WILL be moving with my parents for a few months until we can save up enough money in a few months to purchase our own place in norCal...

This has been hard for me to post because it's a touchy topic here on the forum. My dogs will be moving outside. In no way due to cultural reasons will my mom allow my dogs into her house :c. I can maybe try to rent a place for a few months but that'll delay the time it takes us to save for a purchase of our own place...it's honestly likely not an option.

It scares me to think of them outside all day especially in the Vegas heat and going from a cold climate with little acclimation...maybe I'll bring their air conditioned doggie house back from our rental property...?
Plus my parents yard is small, maybe 100' x 20'. They have some shade and the wall is about 7' brick but Zeeva has scaled that before :c.

I know I'll be outside with them most of the time. If I do work it'll be part time and hopefully I can convince my mom to allow them to be crated inside the house for a few hours. Otherwise, I don't know.

Living with them inside has been such an eye opening joyful and dirty (lol they track in mud leave fur everywhere and leave body marks on the walls) experience. I worry they'll feel separation anxiety with a sliding glass door between us. I worry our bond will wither...

Any suggestions???

·
Registered
27,271 Posts
The problem I see is the dogs getting bored and getting into trouble...that will make your mom dislike dogs even more. I'd almost rather find another option for the dogs than this one. Especially as you point out, they are use to the midwest temps. Going to desert heat is going to be hard on them.

Doggy daycare an option?

·
Registered
3,863 Posts
It shouldn't take them too long to get acclimated to the heat again. I'd take them to the groomers right before you leave for a good brushing to get rid of their winter coat faster. (mine are like bears in the winter)

If you have an air-conditioned dog house yes, use it. :) If it gets really nasty out does your Mom have a garage they can be crated in? Do most dogs in Las Vegas stay inside during the day in the summer?

They'll get use to living outside as long as you continue to play with and train them. It's not like you're going to dump them in the backyard and abandon them.

When's the big move?

·
Registered
29 Posts
I grew up with an "outside" GSD. She was the love of my teenage years. So many fond memories. In fact, one very cold winter, we offered for her to come inside, she protested and rolled around in the snow! Fast forward, a new GSD puppy, loving her inside but preparing my yard so that she can be out during the day instead of being crated! Your dog will be fine!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
27,271 Posts
Hopefully Zeeva won't try to climb the fence(that would be my concern)

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
What about purchasing a dog run so Zeeva can't escape? Add shade and a dog house. I would go out and let them get wet often to cool off. They will be fine. My biggest concern would be the fence.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
Buy some trees that can take the heat, maybe some queen palms, put them in large pots and make a shade wall in the back yard. You can buy some 2' lattice to put on top of the fence. You can look into cooling vests, collars and beds.

My other suggestion would be to forget about saving money to buy a home and just move directly to Nor Cal and rent.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts