German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As most of you guys know, I have a GS puppy now almost 7 months old. He's been gaining way too fast. The most weight was from 2-6months old. So we got him off the puppy food and on adult food and in 2 weeks he gain only 1lbs :).. I was a bit worry cause 5lbs every 2weeks was too much. He's not fat whatsoever. He's built square like husky guy. Anyhow hes 84lbs. So for now he's on Orijen wildfish and its 2 cups per day. I know he wants more but he's fine with that and growing in a nicer pace.

Major is the one that's lying down or the one without the black face. Ok the chucky one LOL

·
Registered
15,138 Posts
WOW he looks big. Do you know what size the sire and dam are?

Cheyenne my female's ideal weight is 77 lbs. At six months old she was about 65 lbs and darn near as tall as she is now, but she really grew in spurts. DeeDee is 68 - 70 lbs and she grew slow but very steady, but she was on the one to get Pano. Go figure. Some blood lines have faster growth rates than others.

Nice looking dogs.

·
Registered
11,280 Posts
He's fine.
When Brady was a year he weighed 94.
Brady is now 3 yrs old weighs 110 and my ver says he's fat
but his dad weighed 120 and was not fat.
I feen brady 2 cups a day of Pro Plan and he is the most active
dog I have had in a while.

Major looks fine and he looks like he's going to be a BIG boy look at them paws. He will keep growing he's still a pup

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Here is my BIG boy at 2 yrs old. He had enormous paws as a puppy and he gained weight very very fast. probably 7lbs a week at some point

He is doing fine though and he is at 101-103 lbs right now, perfect weight for him. 110 lbs sounds a lot..

][/url]

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Originally Posted By: littledmcHe's fine.
When Brady was a year he weighed 94.
Brady is now 3 yrs old weighs 110 and my ver says he's fat
but his dad weighed 120 and was not fat.
I feen brady 2 cups a day of Pro Plan and he is the most active
dog I have had in a while.

Major looks fine and he looks like he's going to be a BIG boy look at them paws. He will keep growing he's still a pup
Major is fat. If you look at Paivi's Cody that is a large dog, but he is in shape. A GSD would need to be a horse in order to be in shape at 120 pounds. The vet is telling you your dog is fat because he is. Can you feel ribs? If not, he's way fat. I know fat, because I'M FAT (just so you don't think I'm prejudice or anything). Keeping a puppy that fat is putting tons of stress on joints that already are suspect with the breed in general. The OP is right to be concerned and taking action, and is feeding much better food that Pro Plan.

·
Registered
782 Posts
They are both beautiful!

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
Originally Posted By: ZeusGSD

A GSD would need to be a horse in order to be in shape at 120 pounds.
I agree! I had a coated black male that was 29 inches tall and he weighed 99lbs. Even with that much height, he would have been "hog fat" at 120lbs.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I disagree, I think Major looks great! You have already put him on adult food and have cut back on his daily intake so therefore I think you are doing all you can. The bottom line is he is just a big dog, plain and simple he is a big male. As long as he's being exercised I don't see anything wrong with him.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
god forbid we ruffle anyones feathers, but we are all just trying to help each other, right? so, i have to agree with zeus. major is overweight and could lose 15-20 lbs easily and not look too lean. paivi's cody is big, but notice how there is a waistline and how the stomach is tucked in.

i maintain that too many people just dont understand the value of keeping these dogs lean. its good that you have recognized your dog has been putting on weight too quickly. maybe a lower calorie food would make it so you didnt feel like you werent giving him much. (for example, something like wellness core reduced fat just until he gets lean)

ok. im done being a buttinski

·
Registered
7,571 Posts
I'll chime in. Completely agree with John and Roxy.

Our breed has SO many orthopedic issues that are made worse by being overweight. They can be sensitive to too much fat in the diet due to pancreas issue and GI issues. (Too much fat in the diet doesn't *cause* EPI and SIBO, but it makes it worse.). A lean dog on a healthy diet is the best defense against so many of the problems that plague our beloved breed.

Yes, Major is a beautiful dog. And his owner loves him. I personally would love to see Major live 13, 14 or even 18 years. Living an active life with a healthy diet at a healthy weight is one of the best ways to do it.

We can be generous with our praise now and be generous with our advice in the Health section of this forum in years to come. I'll opt for neither. Major needs to lose a few pounds. He's lovely, and I want him to be around for you to love a long time.

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
As I recall, Major is 84lb, not 120lb.

He's built square like husky guy. Anyhow hes 84lbs.

I wouldn't call him fat (there're a lot worse dogs in this forum who really are fat). He's a bit chubby and you can't see his waisteline, but with the new, high quality kibble I'm sure he'll be top in no time.
He's very handsome and HUGE!

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I think Major looks like what he is - a BIG 7 month old PUPPY!

I have a 7 month old right now, also - he weighed 80 lbs this morning at the vet; and they told me he looks good. He has a huge head, huge feet and is in an awkward growing phase (his body does not look in proportion).

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
As I recall I was quoting Dawn whose dog Brady is 120 pounds and the Vet is saying he's fat. I never said Major was 120 pounds, but we're splitting hairs. Fat, chubby, pleasantly plump, jolly bowl of jelly, thick, junk in his trunk, fluffy, whatever you want to call it he's overweight. I am too, I just choose to admit that I'm fat and not sugarcoat it. I'm working on it.

Major is absolutely a handsome boy, and the other dog in the picture looks very healthy and is quite a looker too. He's not grossly overweight, and GSDog is working on it so I'm sure he will be lean and mean in no time. Either way, he's going to be a big boy.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
They are nice looking dogs for sure... but as previously stated a GSD at 120 lbs is gonna be FAT!!!! Just for your information my Cody (whose picture I posted before) is 30" at the shoulder, so he is a big boy indeed. And his weight is at 101-103lbs. I can feel his ribs very easily and even see the last ones a little bit. that is how I like him and that is how he should be. He is a big dog as it is, why put more stress on his joints and hips than necessary?!?!?
AT 120 lbs, you should have him lose AT LEAST 10-15 lbs...

You should be able to feel the ribs and also when you stand over your dog, you should be able to see a definite waist... if you don't, the dog is fat.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I definitely see everyones point of view but I guess the reason why I don't think he's fat is b/c I have a dog that is just big boned and not fat. Cooper is 25 inches tall and he weighs 98 pounds. That is very large for a golden. he's not fat he is just a big dog. Kinda like Major ... huge feet and a big head.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Keep in mind breed standard, its a pretty good reference point to shoot for.
My girl is 24 inches and 61 pounds as a 2 year old, she looks like a tri-athlete! A large male should be about 2 inches taller and 15-20 more pounds(confirm?). IMO, its not enough for them to be just "not fat". The risk to the joints is too great in the long run.

edit for the OP, You're doing it right. Orijen is a great food and your dogs are gorgeous!(I love the darker bi-color....)

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
i will say that i have seen earlier pictures of major, and i think he looks less "plump" than he did a while back. major is most definitely a real good looking dog.

gsdog, i hope you dont feel like you are getting beat up here. major is a big dog regardless, and he is carrying plenty of weight from just his skeleton size and muscle, so any extra fat at all will be an extra burden for him. i think you have made a good decision cutting back and the orijen is a nice food. as someone else said, we would all like everyones dog to be with them for many many years.

i know its very hard to cut back feeding amounts for our guys and gals. my girl acts as though she is starving even after just finishing a meal and she almost guilts me into giving her more. unfortunately, i fear she would eat herself into a coma if i let her.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
wow, havent been on for a while cause i was very busy..sorry about that..I see you all have your 2 cents...lol...im not hurt dont worry..i know my dog...he will be 7 months old tomorrow...and yes he was more chubby a few photos back..but you can see something is working cause he is getting leaner in the back...the front is very wide and NOT fat cause its all chest and skin hanging...we keep him very active and i do walk him all the time either power walking 4-5ks a day or to the park running with others for at least one hour and...when we put him out in the yard while we are there we always make him run with balls or whatever...he never stops...last night we went to the park and he was running with another fit GS...he was chasing the GS cause he had a stick and you know what, it didnt take him long to reach him and he knock the other GS on the ground cause he's very strong. Each time he runs we've notice he bumps others and they go down which is not funny but we cant do much about that...they are having fun running...so long he keeps up with other and just doesnt lay there doing nothing..He can jump in the back of the car..and we do watch that so he doesnt hurt his joints...he jumps on and off from our balcony which we give him crap for that..we are worry he will get hurt the bugger...he lays down and sees our cat and zaps out like lighting from the balcony...he's a happy healthy pup...he will be over 100lbs for sure but if we keep him busy and healthy, im sure he will do fine...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts