German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
8,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...the house I grew up in, the house where so many litters where whelped. Where a litter room is in the basement and in the back of the garage, where Gildo and Olko are laid to rest. With water springing from a rock, going into a stream and flowing into a small pond. Where I remember puppies being tattooed on the patio and where a door way lead to my Grandfathers old farm which was stomped into the ground years ago, to raise housing... is going to be sold. Actually, it was sold just now...

The house where we had two fires. One accidently started by me when I was in elementary school and nearly burned down the dinner table and one after the power went out which left much more damage upstairs.
The house where I spent nearly a year of my life in a wheelchair and where my bed was kept in the living room because I was isolated upstairs and couldn't go up and down the stairs....

It's weird that the house is being sold after more than 20 years it has been part of our life. Many great dogs have been born at that house and two legends have died there and been laid to rest.
I have mixed feelings about it. It's such a huge part of my life, even though we had moved to the horsefarm when I was about 14 but I've always had a special bond to that house.

It was the happiest time of my life.

·
Banned
8,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, either way, I have no say in it. It's my parents that made the decision. For years, it was rented out to Military Families and now that the Military left Mannheim it stood empty for a while and they decided to sell it instead.

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
Such is life..........the older you get the more you go there. The house my grandfather built in Baltimore in the 1930s may be going for sale after my Uncle passed away and my cousins may sell it [they grew up in the house as did my father and his brother and sister] so many many many memories in that house, but the same with the family farm that is now under I-75 and the childhood home .....

·
Registered
27,306 Posts
My mom still lives in the house that was built when I was a baby...It really isn't very sentimental to me, but those woods behind it and the memories playing in the field next to it or at the lake across the street, yes. The neighborhood is more sentimental than our actual home.
The horse barns and pasture are long gone, and a few houses have been built in the woods.

Many great dogs have been born at that house and two legends have died there and been laid to rest.
This is the BIGGIE! So hard leaving them, even if they are long gone.

·
Banned
8,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My mom still lives in the house that was built when I was a baby...It really isn't very sentimental to me, but those woods behind it and the memories playing in the field next to it or at the lake across the street, yes. The neighborhood is more sentimental than our actual home.
The horse barns and pasture are long gone, and a few houses have been built in the woods.
That is how I feel about the farm we moved into. I hated the farm for many reasons, even though it is a gorgeous and beautiful place now. I never wanted to leave our home in the village and the woods behind the farm have more Sentimental value than the farm itself.

... and now, I'm actually homesick for the farm and my family... :wub:

·
Premium Member
11,368 Posts
that's so sad....especially about the dogs buried there...hopefully the new owners won't start digging up for gardens or something and disturb them....

Lee

·
Registered
27,306 Posts
We boarded a horse, Antonio, she lived to be 32 and when she had a stroke and went blind, it was time. She was buried in the pasture and a large boulder was placed at her site. The people that owned the property let their son build a home right there and guess what...Toni was excavated. It was devastating to Toni's owner and us as her caretaker. They couldn't move the blueprints 100 feet to accomodate her memory!

·
Banned
1,283 Posts
given that old burial grounds that were once on the outskirts of town find themselves in the burbs on prime real estate eventually what is the procedure to build on them? surely there must be a lot of old cemetaries been built on, never thought about it before??

·
Registered
990 Posts
I know how you feel :( my aunties house got demolished a few years ago - I had the best time of my childhood there.

But remember you will always have the memories, no one can take those :)
And at least a new family can now start their memories :)

You can't go back - look forward!!!!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

1 - 10 of 10 Posts