German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there are some people on here who have sheep. I was told that, it was traditional to shave the dogs when the sheep get done. (Border collies in question) and that they also have sensitive skin so the shaving helps them with the heat.

Does anyone who work with sheep do this to their dogs? I have never heard of it before.

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
I know there are some people on here who have sheep. I was told that, it was traditional to shave the dogs when the sheep get done. (Border collies in question) and that they also have sensitive skin so the shaving helps them with the heat.

Does anyone who work with sheep do this to their dogs? I have never heard of it before.
I do sheep herding and have never seen this done with any of the herding dogs (of any breed) I have been around.

Maybe they do it to the LGDs? Although considering the condition of the coats of the actually working LGDs that I have seen working in our local foothills, I doubt they do it to those dogs either.
Sheilah

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, I didn't think it sounded right. I can't remember how we got on the convo,but she said that her border collie always knew when it was coming, but went anyways, tail tucked, to get shaved with the sheep. According to her, this was traditional for dogs that worked sheep. I didn't think it sounded right. Maybe its just traditional for her area, I can't remember exactly where she is now. I'll have to ask when I talk to her again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts