German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just went on a long walk. As we passed this one house where this guy was mowing his lawn, he turned off his mower. I assumed it was to let us pass without getting shot with grass, so I stepped faster, but then he yelled, "Is that a female?"

"Yes."

"How old?"

"Almost five."

"Spayed?"

"Yes."

*man shakes his head and makes tsk tsk sounds*

"AKC?"

"Yes, AKC and UKC." (like it matters)

"So is my male, he's a black shepherd. He has a white spot. Actually he's a Belgian Shepherd and has longer hair and he's about 105 lbs. Too bad she is spayed."

Hmmm, yeah, darn it! Our loss! NOT!!!

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
What a lost opportunity! I'm sure he was a fabulous stud since his owner was pimping him on the street. Oh yes, he wasn't the same breed either, was he? Ah, the details.
Well, too late now.

·
Registered
12,829 Posts
Gotta love that... I'm warming up my wise chick responses for when Otto is full grown. Used to get a lot of 'when are you breeding them' walking down the street with Luther and Morgan. I loved to say 'They're both too psycho to breed' and watch the person back away slowly while apologizing for bothering me

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I plan so many great [email protected]$$ responses in my head and then when it actually happens the person sounds SO DUMB all I can get out is a smile and a nod. I gave him short, honest answers and went on my way. Didn't want Kenya's walk to be shorter b/c of my soapbox! It would have taken an hour to explain the concept of titles, OFA, CERF, temperament testing, oh yeah and breeding the SAME BREED!

·
Registered
9,025 Posts
How about when someone approaches you and says they will let you breed your male to their female.
Oh yes, guess that means I don't have to send him out to roam the neighborhood looking for a female with loose morals anymore.
But the good part was I could have one of the puppies.

I never even thought to ask what breed of dog the female was -- guess I just assumed it would be a GSD.

Then there was the lady that knew I worked for the Sheriff's Dept. She asked if I ever had contact with a dog that washed out or was retired early and I kind of errrr...... well yes, but ???? She was looking for a female GSD to breed to her chow/GSD cross male. I was standing there at a school function with my DH and a very good friend of mine and the next thing I knew they both had took off before I had a chance to answer the woman. Because of all the little kids around I did bite my tongue and toned my answer down quite a bit.

·
Registered
12,829 Posts
but the puppies would be soooo cute.

It's fun to have fun with the fools. It only takes a minute and I don't feel the need to educate them so they can act like they know something at a later point in time.

I've asked, 'What titles does your dog have?' then walked away like a snob that their dog isn't qualified to sniff my dogs butt. Never mind my bitch hasn't a title to her name (timing was wrong with my kids)

Or ask about their dogs line. People asking such questions on the street rarely know their dogs parents name.

My favorite is 'He's a real german' Is that east or west? So why does the dog have the super angulation and hump on his neck like an am bred (not that there's anything wrong with that)

·
Registered
5,893 Posts
I've had that done to my dogs, actually a neighbor down the street saw me walking my dogs and about 4 shepherds come racing over to see my dogs and the lady asks, "pretty shepherds, want to breed them? I have a few showlines that want to be bred and you get the pick of the litter." I'm like, what!!?! So I asked what titles her dogs had, the lady was like, "what are titles?"

I just paused and then started laughing really hard.
People just amaze me sometimes at how little people know about dogs.

·
Registered
12,442 Posts
I've actually never been asked if I wanted to breed Abby. Maybe there's something wrong with her? *confused*

I have, however, been asked if I want to fight her, by the moron down the street with the pit bull.

·
Registered
9,348 Posts
Nobody here has ever asked about breeding with Grimm....... because they don't know he's a GSD. They think he's a wolf, or a wolf-hybrid. In the middle of Schweinfurt. On a leash. Strollin' past blasting construction sites, jackhammers ripping up pavement, street-sweepers roaring along, bicycle deliveries zipping past, trucks farting, hordes of teens on scooters racing down the sidewalk......... a wolf in perfect heel, sits at the curb to wait to cross with his person. Yup, I'm in GERMANY, and nobody but 2 people (including several dog trainers and other GSD owners!!) in this overcrowded metropolis, in 9 months, has recognized a sable GSD as a GSD.

If anyone ever DID ask about breeding Grimm, who is not neutered, my answer would be:

"Can't. He has the doofus gene. Might be heritable."

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Try walking a male and female. I get asked all of the time if I'm going to breed them and if I do to let them know. Depending on the intelligence level of the person who ask I either explain the fact that I won't even make the decision until they are titled and that if they are bred it will be in partnership with an experienced breeder or I just say "no".

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally Posted By: ZeusGSDTry walking a male and female. I get asked all of the time if I'm going to breed them and if I do to let them know. Depending on the intelligence level of the person who ask I either explain the fact that I won't even make the decision until they are titled and that if they are bred it will be in partnership with an experienced breeder or I just say "no".
I guess I will have that to look forward to once I get my male! Most people think Coke is a girl so he doesn't really factor in, although a lot of people are more interested in him than Kenya, they ask what "breed" he is and what "mix" Kenya is.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
What is it with people seeing two dogs and automatically think "Puppies!".

I previously had a husky and GSD. I would take them with me in the car to go run errands. One time I was coming out of the bank and this lady was in her car with the window down talking to my dogs. She told me they were nice looking dogs and if she gave me her number would I call her when they have puppies.

Um...they are both 'fixed' so that's not going to happen. Oh, she says.

Lu

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
Originally Posted By: Liesje
"So is my male, he's a black shepherd. He has a white spot. Actually he's a <span style="color: #000099">Belgian Shepherd </span>and has longer hair and he's about <span style="color: #000099">105 lbs</span>. Too bad she is spayed."
Image uploading. Refresh page to view

I wonder what kind of dog he REALLY has. You wouldn't believe how many dogs get labled "Belgians" at our shelter that aren't even close.

·
Super Moderator
32,280 Posts
Originally Posted By: ZeusGSDTry walking a male and female. I get asked all of the time if I'm going to breed them...
Yeah, try walking a pretty, soft, fluffy male and female longcoat.
I get asked ALL the time about breeding them, and get the "too bad" and "it's a shame" comments about them being speutered.

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What pissed me off the most was the "tsk tsk" I got when I said she was spayed. I mean, breeding haphazardly pisses me off too, but there's something about THAT that really pisses me off. What if something terrible happened to her like pyometra or some kind of cancer or infection and she needed an emergency spay, that would be a really insensitive question to be asking a stranger. That, and my hackles tend to go up anytime some random idiot stranger tries to patronize me for how I treat my animals. Next person to ask me "is she spayed?" I'll ask "Have you had a vasectomy/tubes tied?", or maybe just a simple "F-- you!" will do.

·
Super Moderator
32,280 Posts
Originally Posted By: LiesjeNext person to ask me "is she spayed?" I'll ask "Have you had a vasectomy/tubes tied?"
I like that!!!

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Lies, I think it's a rule somewhere that you have to be kind to the chronically ignorant

But I like your answer.

·
Registered
7,924 Posts
DH has a saying "you can't fix stupid"

Asking about breeding is almost as stupid as when people come up to me, pet Gracie and THEN ask if she bites. DH always wants to say, but I usually poke him in time to stop him, "Only if I tell her"

·
Registered
431 Posts
Yeah...people are weird. I once had some creepy guy chase me down in the petco parking lot when I was walking Jester. He asked me, "Is that a Male!?!" I said yes, and the guy literally started jumping up and down. He's like "YES! My wife is going to be so excited! We have a female! Wanna breed!?" I looked at him like he was from another planet and said no. Jester's neutered anyhow, but I'd never breed him. Not only is he not a candidate to improve the breed (he's a nervous wreck) but I'd never breed a dog to someone that ran up to me off the street without knowing anything about me or my dog.

·
Registered
31,877 Posts
Of course people see a male and female GSD and think "puppies." What else, kittens? That WOULD be weird.

I just don't get it.

When you have a well-behaved, or beautiful, or beautiful, well behaved dog, why do you take it as an insult for someone to ask you about breeding it?

So people are idiots and breed mixes, yep, intentially. It is still a complement to your dog when they ask about the possibility of puppies.

There is no law saying you have to concider their dog as a possible stud, or dam, or anything. Just say, thank you, we like our dog too.

There is really no reason to get bent out of shape about it.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts