German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
some freinds want to shoot some fireworks off at my house for the 4th. whats do you guys do with your dogs dureing all the firework commotion? i've got tyson on one hand that goes absolutely nuts when fireworks go off and then i have little lucia that is still young and even though i have a feeling that she will sleep right through it, i still dont want to mess up a young working pup.

·
Registered
626 Posts
DJ hates fireworks !!! It happens each and every holiday when the kids in the neighborhood light up the Texas skies ... he was this way when I got him and not sure what to do other than keep him in the house and turn the TV or stereo up a little louder which doesn't seem to bother him near as much as the booming of sky bombs. :(

·
Super Moderator
21,368 Posts
my aussie is petrified of fireworks, thunderstorms,,I close my house up tight , turn on the AC and turn the tv up LOUD!...plus she gets melatonin,,can't wait for this weekend to be over with !

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Dakota was absolutely terrified of fireworks. He didn't mind thunderstorms, gunfire or other loud noises. But fireworks...they caused him to melt into a shaking ball of fur. Like the others, we'd shut the doors, turn up the AC got to the basement, and turn on the tv or stereo and turn up the volume

Phoenix, on the other hand, is fasinated by them. He will watch them explode and gets excited when he hears the loud whine of them being shot in the air.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I had not thought about this yet. Last year was Prince's 1st 4th, we were at the lake and watched a display far from the noise. This year we have family coming over with lots of kids that will be lighting firecrackers and such in the yard. I imagine that I will have to keep him in the house away from the fun, at least while they are lighting fireworks. I don't think the noise will bother him. If it does I will put him in his crate for security, in the basement, far away from the noise as possible.

·
Registered
27,206 Posts
Kacie and Onyx are fearful~ I give them melatonin to take the edge off...Karlo could care less.

·
Registered
607 Posts
This will be Max's first Fourth with us, so I don't know how he'll react, but I suspect he'll be rather nonchalant about the whole thing, since that's how he is with thunderstorms.

Our mixed breed, on the other hand, is petrified of all loud noises that emanate from the sky, so I'll do my best to keep her calm by staying inside with the tv or stereo on, maybe try to encourage her to stay in our little half bath, since it doesn't have any windows.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
All 3 dogs will spend the day & night in the bedroom with the air condition blasting & the TV really loud. Hubby gets upset with me because I never want to go anywhere for the 4th, I rather stay home. I hate fireworks now. Chazzy R.I.P. taught Apache to be afraid, they both taught Kiya and now I will assume Apache & Kiya will teach Lakota. It's already started. Last night both Apache & Kiya ran for the bathroom when they heard some fireworks, Lakota was fine for now. Same for thunderstorms, they hide in the bathroom. Apache (black dog in my picture) will get into the tub. One time he tried to get behind the bathroom vanity, ripped it away from the wall. We were lucky he didn't disconect the water lines.
Odd thing is you can hear gun shots from the shooting range at my house, sometimes they are really loud. None of my dogs react to that. When hunting season starts and the shots come from the other direction they react.

·
2,967 Posts
I feel very blessed...no one here cares in the least. I'll probably keep them in the house for most of the night and wait for a lull to let them out. Might take the puppy out for a quick walk with Argos or Ike for a little exposure.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Wow, it's Jake's first time and I plan to take him to get exposed....am I making a mistake here? My thoughts were to expose him and then in the future he will not be scared.

·
2,967 Posts
Wow, it's Jake's first time and I plan to take him to get exposed....am I making a mistake here? My thoughts were to expose him and then in the future he will not be scared.

It depends on his noise sensitivity. I think the problem is that there is no way to control the exposure if you have him out at say a display.

Maybe he handles the first firework OK and even well...but he gets more agitated the longer it goes on. Maybe then you realize he needs to get away...but by that point they're at the "finale" of the fireworks show. So now he's freaked out and the fireworks are shooting off ALL the time and you can't get away because they're fireworks. He's overwhelmed then, and rather than simple exposure you've got a traumatic experience.

When I take Tag out I plan to be walking around my neighborhood, which should be pretty fireworks intense if New Years was any indication. I'll let him see a couple of things, with an older totally desensitized dog to act as a model, and then I'll take him back in the house. Slow small exposure is what you want...not a flood.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Great thought...I will rethink it and keep his exposure to a very short time and take him nearby but to the event.This way we are far away and standing outside car and can leave at any moment. I have taken him to music festivals and so far no reaction to storms but this will be a new experience. Thanks for the input, I certainly don't want to scare him...

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
At our sumer house they do fireworks on the beach every Thursday night. Wolfie went through without a problem until the finale. He just barked at it. He isn't phased by thunder storms. I hope that he will eventually get used to the finale.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
last year my neighbor lit off some fireworks, not big ones, just the ones you get in the little pack at the grocery store. i had tyson out in his kennel not really thinking about it and when i went back to the house he had his kennel fenceing tore up trying to break out. the thing is is that he associates all the commotion with bitework and he goes absolutely nuts! im just affraid of broken teeth from him getting jacked up and chewing out of his crate which he will be in at the time...hmmmm....lucia on the other hand is fearfull of nothing, very confident and sound little pup. on the other hand, she is still a pup and i hate for her to develope any environmental issues. i may either take the party somewhere else or take my dogs to a quiet family members across town.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Samson has never really been afraid of any noises, he sleeps right through thunderstorms and I don't think fireworks have ever bothered him

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Heidi is petrified of fireworks, thunderstorms, wind...we are going camping this weekend and had originally planned to take Loki (lab) this time, but decided to take Heidi with us because the neighbors will probably be lighting them and she would be too scared at home without us.

Cori (black lab) and I sat outside and watched the neighbor's fireworks last year and she wasn't phased, just watched them.

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
Ah! This is where Hondo's freakish cat drive comes into my favor. I have problems with one the horses when he hears fireworks. So I spend a lot of time out in the barn when the fireworks are really going thick. This is Hondo's first 4th of July, and I plan on taking him on barn patrol with me. He'll be so engrossed in finding a cat, I don't think the fireworks are going to bother him a bit. I'll have to keep him on a leash - in the event I do have a major reaction from the horse, but Hondo won't care. He will be all about the C.A.T.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Turn up the AC and the television and then do some activity with the pup while they are going off.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts