German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Super Moderator
32,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll be dropping off Halo at the vet this morning for her spay - please think good thoughts for our baby girl!

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
Awww...poor little Halo!! I'm sure all will go swimingly!!

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
Oh Halo!! Hang in there you will feel better the next day!

·
Registered
895 Posts
Good Luck with the surgery, hopefully she is just gonna come ot of surgery fine. Is she gonna have laser surgery? GL again.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Best wishes to Halo today. I'm sure it will all go well!!

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Wishing you both a fast procedure and easy recovery! I am sure Halo will sail right thru without any problems

·
Registered
14,509 Posts
*Zooming speedy healing thoughts south*

·
Registered
849 Posts
Best Wishes for a routine surgery and speedy recovery for the baby girl
Waiting to hear is always so hard!

Is Keefer going to be bored while his buddy heals up or is he going to be enjoying the quiet time?

·
Registered
17,397 Posts
Good thoughts being sent your way!!

Do you have some Arnica around for post-surgery healing? There actually might be a better one for post spay - maybe staphyg-something? I'll have to look it up later.

Thinking of Halo today

·
Super Moderator
32,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks everyone. Lisa, I remember reading an article about Arnica in the Whole Dog Journal, and you and Ruth have mentioned it here on the board before too, but I've never used it. I can stop by a health food store and pick some up on my way home from work, but I don't know what kind to get or how much/how often to give it to her. I still have all my issues of WDJ, but I don't remember which issue it was in.

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
Is Miss Halo coming home tonight or spending the night at the vets?

·
Super Moderator
32,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
She'll be coming home tonight. They don't have regular overnight staff, so spays and neuters are always sent home at the end of the day. I'm to call after 4:00, and they'll probably have me come get her between 5:00 & 6:00.

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
Good thoughts and wishes for Halo. May she be romping round the table driving Keefer crazy soon!

·
Registered
17,397 Posts
Originally Posted By: Cassidys MomThanks everyone. Lisa, I remember reading an article about Arnica in the Whole Dog Journal, and you and Ruth have mentioned it here on the board before too, but I've never used it. I can stop by a health food store and pick some up on my way home from work, but I don't know what kind to get or how much/how often to give it to her. I still have all my issues of WDJ, but I don't remember which issue it was in.

Darn it, I don't think I got back to this in time!

You want to get the little pellets, preferably in a 30c potency. Typically in a tube that looks like this:
, though some brands are little glass bottles, or white plastic bottles.

I would give 3-5 tablets 3 times a day for the next three days, longer if she still seems achy. Ruth I think uses a different dosing schedule which will work just as well.

·
Super Moderator
32,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Originally Posted By: LisaTYou want to get the little pellets, preferably in a 30c potency. Typically in a tube that looks like this:
Ack! I had a choice between 30 and 6 - I asked at the store how to know which one I needed, and the store owner said for a dog he'd use the 6, so that's what I bought. I did mention that she's 60 pounds. I also got some tramadol at the vets, (I asked for it after reading about pain management online, some people use it in conjunction with the arnica) but my vet is very old school and he doesn't usually think they need it. So how much and how often would you give the arnica?

Originally Posted By: VALIUMIs she gonna have laser surgery?
I wasn't actually sure, but as it turns out, she did have laser surgery. She's home and doing well. They always do pre-anesthesia blood work, and everything looked good. I had them do her hip and elbow prelims too, and he said it all looked "beautiful". The only problem we had is that her microchip wouldn't read. It worked at one time because they checked it when I first brought her in for her puppy checkup. They found it on an x-ray and ran 3 different kinds of scanners over it, and it didn't come up, so we'll have to have her re-done, probably when we go back to get the stitches out. On a closeup of the x-ray it looks like it might be broken, which he said can happen during rough play. Rough play? My dogs? Nah!!!

Originally Posted By: AK GSDIs Keefer going to be bored while his buddy heals up or is he going to be enjoying the quiet time?
I think he'll probably enjoy the peace and quiet!
A lot of their play is initiated by her, so I don't think we have to worry about him pestering her too much. He was very interested in sniffing her when she came in the door, but he's here in the office with me, and Halo put herself to bed in her crate.

·
Registered
17,397 Posts
Originally Posted By: Cassidys Mom
Originally Posted By: LisaTYou want to get the little pellets, preferably in a 30c potency. Typically in a tube that looks like this:
Ack! I had a choice between 30 and 6 - I asked at the store how to know which one I needed, and the store owner said for a dog he'd use the 6, so that's what I bought. I did mention that she's 60 pounds. I also got some tramadol at the vets, (I asked for it after reading about pain management online, some people use it in conjunction with the arnica) but my vet is very old school and he doesn't usually think they need it. So how much and how often would you give the arnica?
No worries, just give the 6c more frequently. I would give it about 4 times a day if there are no signs of pain. If there are obvious signs of pain, you can give it for sure hourly.

I've never used Tramadol, but I know lots of folks have.

Quote:
Originally Posted By: AK GSDIs Keefer going to be bored while his buddy heals up or is he going to be enjoying the quiet time?
I think he'll probably enjoy the peace and quiet!
A lot of their play is initiated by her, so I don't think we have to worry about him pestering her too much. He was very interested in sniffing her when she came in the door, but he's here in the office with me, and Halo put herself to bed in her crate.
Rest up Keefer, you'll need the rest when Halo gets better!

·
Registered
849 Posts
Quote:She's home and doing well. They always do pre-anesthesia blood work, and everything looked good. I had them do her hip and elbow prelims too, and he said it all looked "beautiful".
Glad she is home and resting. It is always such a peace of mind to have the blood work and xrays done and find that everything looks normal.

Quote: The only problem we had is that her microchip wouldn't read.
Now that is interesting. We have never thought to have ours rechecked over the years to see that the still work. Good idea!

p.s. we weighed in +4 today

1 - 20 of 31 Posts