German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everyone that knows me knows that I am a dog/animal person. Walk past my desk pictures everywhere of my dogs. Around xmas my boss & his fiance got 2 lab pups, you already see where this is going. I politely have thrown some things out there occassionally, mostly sugesstions, don't want to piss off the boss.
These pups are so over the top excitable you really can't even pet them. She asked me to help her walk one the other day OMG pulling is an under statement. She told me her vet suggested a pinch collar, I said oh yes a PRONG collar would be a very good idea. Oh but it looks so mean.....
Just now I watched my boss, a fairly stocky man get dragged thru the entry way, heck at that rate they should just hook them pups up to a sled and run the Iditarod.
Whatever.

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
I'm debating to whether to offer our new neighbors some training suggestions for their dogs that bark at anything on their walks. You never know if someone will be insulted or thankful.

It must be tough for you to sit and watch these poor dogs.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I told her my trainer is right down the road from work. It seems she always mentions her vet when we talk about anything. I don't know who the vet is but I bet anything he saw them coming.

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
I know what you mean - while I don't know anyone who's quite in this situation, I never know when I should offer some friendly suggestions to people, and when to keep my mouth shut because I don't want to offend anyone. I don't want to come across as rude, as I certainly have a lot to learn and am by no means an expert.

I'm debating to whether to offer our new neighbors some training suggestions for their dogs that bark at anything on their walks. You never know if someone will be insulted or thankful.

It must be tough for you to sit and watch these poor dogs.
Heck, I'd be happy to take training suggestions on how to get Baxter to chill out when it comes to barking at anything that moves...except he only does it in the house. Not on walks, thankfully. ;)

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Yes it is hard to watch, fortunately I don't think the dogs will be dumped. Theres nobody here today so I told her let them loose, I don't mind and I'm sure it would help settle them down. They are always in her office behind closed door so that's another reason why they go nuts. She got a gate but for the most part the door is closed.
Believe me I am very careful it's like telling someone how to raise their kids.
I even said I'd bring a clicker in and show her how to use it.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
If I am not asked for help I don't offer it.

Often when I am asked for help I say I'm not a trainer (which is true, I'm not it's not my job), nicely and keep moving.

My dogs aren't OB champs but they've got good manners, loose leash walking down pat, sit when I stop walking and all that good stuff.

People who see that have two reactions, defensive (can't cope with their feelings of failure I guess) OR say "how come my dog can't be like that?"

So sometimes I give them my trainer's card tell them it's a lot of fun join our class and usually I am told 'oh we don't have the time for that'.

O.K. then your dog isn't going to 'be like that' unless you're willing to invest some time (and money) into training, that's just how it works.

So I usually don't bother anymore.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts