German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Tilly is slated to become my live find air-scent partner. She is 2.5 and I have known her all her life. She was worked by a team-mate who found a move and a new job was too much to keep up with her training..

Tilly is a back up breeding dog for for a service dog program, Dogs For Autism (Vested Partners) and her recent x-rays (Penn hip, .28 and .22 which puts her above the 90th percentile) (OFA not sent in but would easily go good, maybe excellent) resulted in her not being eliminated from continuing to be a breeding prospect. Incredible agility on this dog! Great temperament.

She is almost certified in live find and I am working through her training again and hope to test her this spring (unfortunately next heat cycle should be around March when Beau is slated to re-certify NAPWDA cadaver). The time between now and then is going to be pretty busy because I hope to be able to test her about the same time. YIKES.

I am not touching Beau until after his next cert then we have to figure out whether to neuter or do a vasectomy. They get along stunningly well. The orginal handler was scared Beau would not take to her because she thought he would not put up with her "nanny dog" character. She is very much the dog who makes sure others stay in line but she absolutely defers to him and he does not bully her. They are amazing together. She has also done well with some of the training I have done with her.

I have not done much. Had pneumonia in November and the recovery is going slow.

The picture is Tilly at the vet getting a checkup-I resized it. Hope I got it right else the SAR mod is going to have to delete :).

This is her pedigree. Don't know much about it I will say she is very obedient with great pack drive and just wants to please but she DOES range out and HUNT. The only thing I do know is she and Beau share the L-litter Sontausen. My only complaint would be a bit more prey drive than I would like (for game) and we are working on that* --at 2.5 years old WYSIWYG-- She and two of her brothers are both in SAR and one of those is a disaster dog (SUSAR) -- I have known several of the dogs from Dogs for Autism who, like seeing eye folks, selects the few, the proud, the mellow for service work and others wind up in SAR and Police homes (and others as pets). They have merged with a group called Vested Partners to broaden opportunities for the various dogs (not just GSDs).

Saluda Ridge's Tiger Tilly

*Her first handler REALLY wanted her to be a food dog, not a toy dog and I wonder if she had focused her on the toy as a puppy and did the woods walks like I did with Beau if that would be a non-issue. She is not terrible about it and that's part of why God made e-collars. Have one. May wind up working with it.

This is the Vested Partners Page
https://dogsforautism-public.sharepoint.com/

·
Registered
7,246 Posts
That's awesome! I saw you mention her name in another post and wondered what that was about, congratulations!

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Congratulations! She is beautiful! I know how busy it is to be training two (even with one being certified), but it is well worth the effort. Keep us posted on her and your progress

·
Registered
148 Posts
Congrats! Keep us posted on her progress in SAR.

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
She is beautiful. Thank you for your dedication and all you do.

·
Super Moderator
32,304 Posts
Congrats, she sounds like a terrific dog!

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Fabulous! Enjoy the journey. How fun. Can you test Beau earlier and get him out of the way?

Also wishing you quick healing. Couple years ago I had whooping cough. Man that slammed me for months. So I know how it goes when the airway is compromised that way.

Best to you and a very Merry Christmas with your new toy!

Karin

·
Super Moderator
16,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nope. we have to schedule the evaluator a year in advance and then pay for his travel expenses. He will be testing multiple dogs. It is just "another thing" - Beau has already had to train around female in heat. It's just one of those variables.

OMG she is so chill in the house. Yep, I forgot what it was like to have one like this. Crazy outside and calm inside.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Are there breeders who focus on breeding GSDs for this line of work - service dogs, SAR, etc, with less of an emphasis on titling in IPO? Or do the dogs come from the same litters as those? If there are breeders who focus more on that, could someone post a link to the website of a breeder as an example?

·
Super Moderator
16,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My own experience

Service Dog programs don't typically advertise for sale and don't need a web page - pups are raised in foster homes and evaluated as they grow. Some are clearly not going to meet their needs and they may sell but most go the former route.

For SAR dogs, most I have seen these days come from working lines and typically have sport titles up close..unfortunately not enough with koer ratings. Most of us know a breeder or two we would recommend based on personal experience. The factor not evaluated for in sport venues is hunt drive and some dogs are know to have and produce more than others.

·
Premium Member
4,527 Posts
Wonderful Nancy!! You guys will make a great team! I am looking forward to reading your adventures!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Congratulations Nancy ... Just came up yesterday from Columbia and glad to know SCSAR has a new team in the works ...

Frank

·
Premium Member
7,820 Posts
That is great Nancy. Hope your feeling better. She is a beautiful girl. Sounds like you have a great thing to celebrate this holiday.

·
Super Moderator
16,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks y'all. I clearly need to learn how to take black dog pictures! Yes doing much better but having to take an inhaler. Too much dust or cold sets me off still. Never had asthma before. Hope it slowly goes away. It has improved, but even grinding nails now I wear a mask.

While Beau is a handful to live with, I have to remind myself he was fully certified and operational by 15 months and is easy to maintain with few issues. (Other than trying to live with him)

·
Premium Member
7,820 Posts
Thanks y'all. I clearly need to learn how to take black dog pictures! Yes doing much better but having to take an inhaler. Too much dust or cold sets me off still. Never had asthma before. Hope it slowly goes away. It has improved, but even grinding nails now I wear a mask.

While Beau is a handful to live with, I have to remind myself he was fully certified and operational by 15 months and is easy to maintain with few issues. (Other than trying to live with him)
Glad you feeling better . BTW there's a thread for that.

·
Super Moderator
16,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
She is indeed. Littermate--Talked with Sherri before I got her. A lot of similarities. Only downside a bit more prey than I would like but very good searcher. I had evaluated Thunder as a puppy for my teammate and he was an awesome pup.

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
Congratulations!! :D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts