German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
5,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A foster failure. :) I've decided to adopt my current foster, Kaiser. He's my first foster failure and we will have to stop fostering for a bit until he has been through at least 1 training class and I figure out if I can handle 3 GSDs on my own (I'm single and my family isn't crazy about dogs).

Kaiser is a year old and was surrendered after AC threatened his owner with neglect. He was turned in with a 10yr old female who we think was his mother (they were very bonded).

He's been with me almost 5 weeks and gets along great with Raven. We are still working on the cat. He is perfectly fine if Gatsby stays on the ground but will mouth if the cat runs (definitely not aggressive). My female cat, Allie, doesn't socialize with dogs so he only sees her occasionally through 2 gates.

Here he is the day I picked him up at the shelter (48lbs and all bones):

And some photos from the past couple of weeks (now 60lbs and much healthier):

2nd day home and Raven is giving him the eyes

Working his first rescue event

Cuddling with his sister (sorry about the poor quality - cell phone pic! If I tried to get up and get the camera, he'd come with me)

His adoption announcement photo (MERRY CHRISTMAS!)

·
Registered
664 Posts
Brings tears to my eyes. What a terrific job you have done with him. I had to giggle because I have a friend who also calls herself a foster failure. So far, she has kept two foster dogs :)

·
Registered
5,818 Posts
Congratulations! Sometimes it is good to fail. He is gorgeous and a very lucky boy.

Merry Christmas to all!
Jan

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
He's absolutely gorgeous! :shocked: He's going to be so happy there, and you'll see it. They know when they've been saved and they return the love. Both my Koda and Riley do it.

Congratulations! Glad he'll be there for his first Christmas. He's a beautiful boy. Keep posting pictures!

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
Congrats! I am so happy for you!

Not only were you kind enough to take him in and get him healthy again but you were kind enough to adopt him and give him a good forever home.

He is so handsome!

I hope we get to see more pictures and read more stories about these 2 in the future!

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
aww congrats, he looks great now! I have a foster failure too (technically, two). One was a leader dog puppy we raised fom 7 1/2 wks onward who ended up having mild hip dysplasia so was adopted back to me by the program (never seen a symptom though!) and the other was Audrey, who was just a mess when I got her. Sometimes you think you're fostering but they know they found their home. :)

·
Registered
460 Posts
Congratulations on the new addition. I wouldn't be able to foster as I would like to rescue every dog needing help. I currently have 2 GSD's here now that were going to be put to sleep from a trainer I knew that I decided to load them up and bring them home.

·
5,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks everyone!

He really is quite a goofball and I :wub: him. I'm really excited about the adoption but a little disappointed that I need to take a break from fostering but hopefully we'll be able to start again in the summer.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
LOL This is yet another reason I'm scared to foster....I would keep them all and I know it;) Congrats he's a beautiful happy looking boy:)

·
Registered
385 Posts
You may be a failure, but he is a success story!! I hope it works out...can't wait to hear about his adventures with you!! He looks incredible. What a sweet boy.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
"I don't know about you..."

"okay you can stay!"

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Congrats on the new addition!

He is stunning and Raven looks content to have a friend!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Congrats. (Foster failure is why my husband has requested I do not foster or get into the vet field. He knows that I will want to keep every stray and one I bring home)

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
Congratulations, he is a very handsome and lucky boy! :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts