German Shepherds Forum banner

41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Hey, your nails look great! If you have an electric knife, use it to pre cut your steak before eating, quick and easy.
OMG I'm dying laughing - nails

And that is a fantastic idea!!!!

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
@GatorBytes that is pretty swollen. I would guess that the cast acted as compression on the whole area and once removed the blood and fluid rapidly filled causing the swelling to increase. Did they recommend intermittent icing or OTC anti inflammatory. Being a bit old school I'm a fan of epsom salt soaks for sore joints and general achy body parts. Couldn't hurt if you have some epsom salts handy.
Wishing you continued good healing. And please stay upright on your feet :)

·
Super Moderator
6,278 Posts
That swelling is scary looking.Can you call a nurse line or something and send them a picture?That really really doesn't look good.

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
That swelling is scary looking.Can you call a nurse line or something and send them a picture?That really really doesn't look good.
Well the good thing is, I am not having any pain really, no meds today...my thumb hurts a bit, but might be b/c it has a bit more freedom...the brace is comfortable and feels better with on... its only been off enough to wash dishes (with a glove b/c of dead skin lol ) and wash and coconut oil it.
But looks worse then when left the hospital.

Telehealth as it's called, b/c of covid has hours on hours on hold.
If I felt funny at all, the hospital is a 3 min drive
Thanks for the concern 🍻

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
@GatorBytes that is pretty swollen. I would guess that the cast acted as compression on the whole area and once removed the blood and fluid rapidly filled causing the swelling to increase. Did they recommend intermittent icing or OTC anti inflammatory. Being a bit old school I'm a fan of epsom salt soaks for sore joints and general achy body parts. Couldn't hurt if you have some epsom salts handy.
Wishing you continued good healing. And please stay upright on your feet :)
Thank you...and the please stay upright on your feet - priceless

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
So since @Magwart posted about the electric pepper mill...which I am going looking for, b/c I am the person who has to see the pepper in my food - I like pepper, so this is a pita a bit
and @Dunkirk now with the electric knife idea! All I can think about is steak now and how it is going to be on the menu this week!
Here is the pic I took at the absurdness of this...lol
Steak prop.jpg

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Sorry to hear a solid cast is still needed, but when you mentioned your addinitional fall..., not really surprised!

Anyway, here's the can opener I use when on the road...

Tornado F4 Electric Can Opener in Red
Oh no, I am out of the hard cast...just seems odd that my hand has ballooned up again, I would have thought I would be closer to done healing and just need to work on strength training...but of the 3 docs that examined, not one mentioned that was coming along nicely...and they were vague about the ulna chip possibly being from that morning's fall.
But I got the removable one.
Maybe the swelling is like what Springbrz said...Perhaps couple days will see some improvement

I love that can opener...I watched the video, I have to get one!

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Yeah, don't like the look of that chip. There's no sign of new bone growth, so I'd say it hasn't re-attached the way it should.

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Yeah, don't like the look of that chip. There's no sign of new bone growth, so I'd say it hasn't re-attached the way it should.
Are you talking about the left arrow at the ulna?...The thing is, there is a tiny mark on my wrist right there and that is also where it hurt the most when they were jambing their thumbs in my bones...I am thinking that along with this reswelling, possible when Lil knocked me down the morning of the hospital visit, it fractured there or re-fractured that spot. IDK...I think that is the area the 2nd doc said there is bone growth...very frustrating. I don't want 6 more weeks to go by to find out they have to break my wrist and pin it and start all over.
I may just go to hospital here and see about another set of xrays to compare to the initial ones they took and get another opinion.
Everything is so vague

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Yes, that's the spot. I see new bone growth on the right side of the wrist, the whitish shadow on the far right of the x-ray, but none there. It looks like there may be a bone chip that never re-attached. I'm a retired nurse, so I've had some experience looking at x-rays.

I've looked at it a second time, and without seeing the actual x-ray, or other x-rays of the wrist taken at a different angle, it's hard to be sure. But since you are having a lot of pain at that same spot, it makes me suspicious.

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Yes, that's the spot. I see new bone growth on the right side of the wrist, the whitish shadow on the far right of the x-ray, but none there. It looks like there may be a bone chip that never re-attached. I'm a retired nurse, so I've had some experience looking at x-rays.

I've looked at it a second time, and without seeing the actual x-ray, or other x-rays of the wrist taken at a different angle, it's hard to be sure. But since you are having a lot of pain at that same spot, it makes me suspicious.
Yes, I see what you're saying. I will have a look an post the 1st day images...I had looked and didn't see the same issue 5 weeks ago...seems a bit better today.
The swelling has gone down a reasonable amount that I am comfortable with enough that I'm not as worried. I could actually see my wrist bone a bit on the left side...thumb area to centre...needs another day or two and hopefully will be even better. It's a bit achy right now, but not pain med worthy.
The brace is causing its own different set of pressure point irritation vs. the cast.
Been working fingers while brace off and submerged in warm water...but I'm set back a few days on the use of...like holding or rather resting a dish to wash it...amazing the simplist things remind you - oops, don't do that!

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
If your new cast is made out of a honeycomb type plastic material, you should be able to bend and flex it to fit.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Medical times? How does one go 'medical times' on a steak? Take a scalpel to it? 😂

Guessing that's an autocorrect fail for 'medieval times'. Yes, that's what I would have done, too. As a matter of fact, did it last night with a tough steak!

·
Registered
5,304 Posts
Are you getting hand therapy? I had an injury and went through a few months of hand therapy first twice a week, then once a week, and then exercises to do at home. A few exercises worked on the swelling. The rest were to get full use back. I’m trying to remember what they were. Some were early on and others were later to gain flexibility. It can take a year to get back full use of your hand. If you can’t cut meat, either get something else or just pick it up with your hands and bite pieces off.

·
Registered
5,304 Posts

Putty is good for squeezing and also twisting dowels into it. Those were two exercises I did. I also used various sprinkler parts for handles to place in the putty and twist those. That took the place of expensive equipment. Also, fill a container with uncooked white rice and put your hand in it and squeeze that. It works the fine muscles in your fingers. Another exercise is to put uncooked rice on a towel and pick it up one grain at a time and put it back into the container,

Soak your hand in warm water to loosen ligaments, then rest your elbow on the table with your hand toward the ceiling. Use your other hand to start at the finger tips with four fingers on the palm side and your thumb on the back of your hand and massage it downward toward your wrist. Do that twice a day. It pushes the fluid out of your hand where it can be reabsorbed into your body.

41 - 57 of 57 Posts