German Shepherds Forum banner

21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Thanks for the update! Been there, done that last year, with my elbow. If your arm gets itchy under the cast, put your hair dryer on the coldest setting to blow cold air down the cast. It helps, and doesn't do any damage to your skin.

The pink cast was probably a (more expensive) waterproof one. When my son was younger, way back then, I had to specially order one so he could swim when away on a school camp. You could customize your cream cast with felt pens. Go crazy on the art work, and be sure to show us. Could you check if the hospital had a patient transport system you may be able to use?
I read that about the itching on the sheet they give you, glad to know it works!
The new cast is better. The other was plaster and only about 3/4 of a cast so when some swelling went down it shifted was putting pressure on wrong spots. This one much more comfortable.

So was thinking about the art...and wishing I had paw print stamper...that would be the best cast cover decor...lol
Great tip about transport...I had thought of, but left too long, plus I feel more comfortable in my own van. No sick people...I would kill not to be the driver for once!...I drove today, I will be way better by next time.

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Day 16 of this PITA cast...I am doing much better, I have reduced pain meds (unscripted, but was able to get OTC acetaminophen with nominal dose of codiene in it)...I am ever so slightly starting to be able to use my fingers a bit. When the girl casted my wrist, the doc had to do what they referred to as "molding"...well holy flippen, OMG pain...he squeezed the cast to form it to hold in place...the next day my fingers ballooned up to what looked like sausages that the grease inside the casing was cause to explode...and the bruising....only about 2 days ago was I able to pull a tissue out of the box...I couldn't even do that, couldn't hold a tissue with my thumb and pointer finger...and my rib, so much better. The inflammation from that was causing loss of breath walking, picking anything up, trying to get dressed...insane. I dreaded going to bed as lying down hurt more - forget rolling over. Still some tenderness there, but much better. I go back for recheck May 8th and then he will let me know if I can graduate to removable...no idea what that will cost. The fiberglass cast was no charge
I had tendinitis in my left hand a few yrs ago - to do with thumb. Work injury. I had to buy a brace and it was $65.
Thankfully the weather has been fair...IDK what I would have done if it was like last year

·
Super Moderator
6,278 Posts
Thank goodness for small favors,eh?Getting around in icy weather with your injuries would not be fun.

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Worse b/c I wouldn't be able to wear coat...been using a long sleeve t, hoody, and a hoody zip up...can't get hand into hole of zip up...lol
I wear same clothes every single day to walk hound
And Lil absolutely needs booties in cold snow or salt...if milder and old salt, kinda ok....w/o she is done in...there is no way I could have managed putting those on her...phew!
Thank goodness for small favors,eh?Getting around in icy weather with your injuries would not be fun.

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Five more sleeps and it's back to the hospital for follow up xrays and I believe removal of this cast! However, I am either to have a new cast, or a removable brace...I think removable will be likely.
A few years back I had come down with tendinitis - same hand, the thumb...it was excruciating and lasted for several months with just inklings of reduction in pain over time. At least a full year to heal and I always wore a support tensor to work in...I think if I had physio and time off work it may have resolved sooner.
At the time of assessment I was told to go buy some specific brace that immobilized the thumb. I would sleep in, but couldn't work in it. Ir was 65 bucks!
Anyhow, along with another wrist guard I had bought to mow the lawn and the plank that cups your palm (that was used when that hand was bit by the pitbull) with a tensor wrapped around...I'm going to bring all with me to see if I can forgo any added expense.
On the plus side, I haven't really had any itching
But my thumb is still weirdly swollen
Can't wait to scrub my hair properly...oh, and shave my right arm pit...#1 on the must list
Do you know how hard it is to apply deodorant to your right arm pit with your right hand??? LOL
Ah well, at least doing better then as first.

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #28 (Edited)
Have you had to try giving Lil medication one handed?
LOL...no , thankfully she hasn't needed anything in last couple years.
But she did have to stay in her collar overnight for over two weeks. I always take it off before bed. Only made that mistake once.

I take it you did? I couldn't have done it. I still can't use a can opener. I give Lil a third of can of wet food, thankfully the cans are flip top. But even that, I couldn't hold the can so I had to put the handle of the spoon through the hole and use the side of can as leverage gripping the spoon and adjusting around the can to get all way open.

I couldn't just hold a can or bottle or pepper mill in the crook of my arm b/c that is exactly where the broken rib is...tried using arm pit to no avail...lol
Everything was so hard to do. But you know that

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Do you have access/can you borrow a workshop vice grip?

It isn't req'd at this point...i don't access to one anyhow, or anywhere to fasten...I have gotten by on what I can do so far. Struggle, lots boxed foods...used arm pit and grip of scissors to open water bottle. Do have electric jar opener, but canned foods can;t open...can't buy electric with stores closed w/ paying premium for temp solution...

So lost with what day of week it is, that today I realized that THIS Friday cast comes off!!! For some raeson though it was Monday...so I am super excited !!!

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
It's Friday!!!
In approx. 2 hrs I will be getting the cast off and xrayed and hopefully the assessment is a brace and physio. Not surgery. But...
Funny story, goes right along with my usual bad luck timing of things, or maybe this was good luck..

Lil was super charged this morning. It's cool out and she would not slow down on the walk. As we get back, I drop the leash so she can have a zoomie session...it was like she was possessed...she took a couple of full tilt blasts around the yard, paused, and then ran straight at me and body slammed me on the right side

I stepped left and turned my body just enough so the impact wouldn't blow my knee out!
However, I fell on my left wrist! Not as hard as that day, and thankful the cast is still on, but now having little (minor) pain surges...
I think this dog is trying to put me on disability so I stay home forever...little bugger...
Man can she pack a punch!

·
Registered
5,672 Posts
I couldn't just hold a can or bottle or pepper mill in the crook of my arm b/c that is exactly where the broken rib is...tried using arm pit to no avail...lol
Battery-powered pepper mill!!! I can hold it over a skillet and push the button on top of the pepper mill with one hand. They cost as little as US$10 on Amazon. Silly gadget I use several times a day and love.

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #35 (Edited)
Battery-powered pepper mill!!! I can hold it over a skillet and push the button on top of the pepper mill with one hand. They cost as little as US$10 on Amazon. Silly gadget I use several times a day and love.
I never even thought of that...I don't shop amazon or online really b/c the few times I did, despite in block letters saying back door...parcels were left for the upstairs neighbour...I caught in time as was expecting, but annoying!
Never thought of looking at walmart, but probably 25 bucks there if not more

Kinda funny story about how disabling this is...I was so sick of boxed/frozen meals, I was feeling a bit better, no more meds I think.
I decide I am going to grill a steak. Now last summer my LL made me move my BBQ off the deck, so it is on the lower patio against the deck. It's a big 4 burner.
I have to now move it away so deck does not catch fire.
Naturally I cannot move it at this time, but I have a cast iron grill pan
I make this steak perfect, do baked potato, garlic mushrooms...the steak is huge. So when it's done I go to cut it in half for leftovers.
It is at that time I realize what a struggle it is to hold the fork. But I push on
I sit down to my delicious steak and ugh, how am I going to do this?
I had to put the fork in my cast between my index and middle finger, use index to push down (still very difficult as no strength), cut piece, put knife down, pull fork out, switch hands, eat.
I could not bring the fork to my mouth b/c the cast was blocking range of motion, and of course, couldn't bend wrist...
Took me 45 mins to eat my cold steak...lol

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
@Springbrz @tim_s_adams ...so, I am actually out of the hard cast, and did get into a brace. It was only 35 bucks.

I was so excited at the news they were cutting me out of it!
Until they did...wow. The pain, was instant. Your muscles of course atrophy, so the weight of my hand just went south.
They first xrayed me in the cast. A female doc came in to review them, we both looking at and comparing to 4 weeks ago. I say....why does it look like the bone is set forward (compared to same angle 4 weeks ago)...she says IDK, but going to go get another assessment. Another doc comes in...he looks at computer and believes the image is b/c of an ever so slight difference in the angle at time of xray. He takes his time, looks between old and new, shows where new bone is forming in one part of break and says, I believe we can take the cast off today...both docs were a bit concerned about the chunk on the left - not sure if it was affected by the fall I took that morning.

So next comes the lady who casted me to cut it off. My newest fave person in the world - until she let my hand drop.
My brother tells me prior, that my arm will be really skinny and ugly...It wasn't, well it was, but the wrist is swollen, so you cannot see the bones or shape, like the right...and the hand to my knuckles had atrophied, but my fingers had swollen up again, I think from the fall. It looks ugly.
My skin had started to peel on my hand where the cast ended, so I was expecting that. But my arm had no sign of scaling...there was little red dots of irritation...I was expecting it to smell...but not at all.

The first doc (female) comes back in and starts doing some prodding off the bones...the left bone, the Ulna, where had chipped, the pain was significant and they think may have been result of that morning fall.
The distal radius, the larger bone (the right bone if palm face down) was not as bad. This bone was horizontal fracture right across near the top and a chip off to right side. So they send me for second set of xrays.
The second doc comes back and he palpates my wrist now too. But harder - I told him I liked her better, lol.

They don't really tell me much about how it's healing, just that I'm looking at 4 more weeks in a brace.
THEN another doc comes in...he was much more business...he reviews the images, then slides over to me and he jambs his thumbs into my bones too - WTH!!! I think he was head doc, probably the surgeon, much older then the other two. He was pretty harsh...He changed the follow up visit from 4 weeks to 6 weeks...I got no explanation and didn't notice the change on the card until the docs were gone. So I am not sure if that is a bad sign. I guess it can't be good.
I was told to not do any wrist movements for another week minimum, but I can remove brace to do dishes, but not lift anything heavier then a coffee mug...I tried, I could only dangle it with my middle finger (ironic my middle finger is the strongest, lol)

That's about it as far as the visit went
Looks like my BBQ is staying stationary for awhile longer...sigh :cry:
So still in a hard cast. Bummer!
As for the steak I would have given in and gone all caveman style on it. Just picked it up and torn into it with my teeth. lol!
I think I would have picked it up it my hand and gnawed on it like a turkey leg🍗🥩😛
You guys are hilarious :LOL:

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Going to try to post a couple pics...the recent xray, middle arrow is showing the horizontal fracture across the distal radius...the pic of swollen wrist and hand was an hour ago..I have no idea what is going on with this swelling...I do not have big pudgy hands lol...it's a little concerning...I would think after 5 weeks, it would look a bit better

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Hey, your nails look great! If you have an electric knife, use it to pre cut your steak before eating, quick and easy.

21 - 40 of 57 Posts