German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did anyone watch this? I watch the show regularly. I found this episode strange in that I wondered 'why doesn't he just crate the dogs while he's at work' and 'why doesn't he just crate the female in a different room when his friend and her female come over?' This was the man with a female pit and a male pit mix. Victoria Stillwell must not believe in crating.

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
I saw it. I though the same thing about using crates. Really shouldn't take a rocket scientist to figure that one out!

V.S. doesn't like crates for the most part, though I HAVE seen her recommend one ONCE. (And yet a few episodes before that she berated the owner for using a crate.
)

What I thought about the "friend" is "LEAVE YOUR DOG HOME STUPID"! Why on earth would anyone with half a brain take their dog to someone elses house when the home owners dog wants to kill theirs?

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I also wonder about her use of the nose collars, as I think their is a large consensus that they are hard on the neck muscles. When the male wouldn't sit on command, I was thinking get a prong on that guy and give him a quick little correction. He absolutely knew what she was asking but just refused. And walk the female on a prong. If the owner worked with rescue so much, you would have thought he knew these things! That poor guy was a wreck and his dogs weren't even THAT bad.

·
Registered
239 Posts
yeah I saw it to. Victoria is so against crates for some reason, I saw her be ok with it once though, weird. She got a new shirt!!!! Its purple!!! Why didn't that guy use crates, he had to puppies! And victoria got so upset about the nylon martingales. Their not like prong pinch collars or something. I'm soooooooo excited for westminister!!!!!!

·
Registered
714 Posts
That V.S. doesn't like crates or use prong collars doesn't surprise me at all. I'm an expat Brit, and had dogs in the UK, where dog ownership is very different. I never recollect seeing or hearing of people using crates and as for prong collars...

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
I've read before that in the UK many people don't agree with crating dogs. As for the headcollar I think it depends on how they are used.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Dog owners in the UK don't crate dogs the way we do here. I think it's just a cultural difference

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
I think the head collars work very well for many dogs, especially those with aggressive issue. Gives good control of the dogs HEAD and it's mouth. So she'd not using it so much as an obedience training collar (sit or down or heel or whatever) as for use in controlling the pulling or aggression, and it seems ideal for those situations.

I do think she used to not be a fan of the crates but she DOES seem to be coming around a bit on this one. I say good for her for being open minded enough to accept new things.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
My thoughts were the same why not crate them it seems more logical. I would love to see shows do more follow-ups on these people (and see what really) happens in the end.

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
I thought the same thing....and at the time I was running on my elliptical so the show was on mute, lol. I've use that expen wall trick before, but that was when Nikon was a crazy puppy and I had friends over for New Year's. I divided my living room in half so we didn't have to crate the dogs OR worry about having food out on the tables.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
She's against crates? Weird. I didn't see the episode (mostly because we had to downgrade to basic cable recently and don't get animal planet), but I find that...interesting.
I respect Victoria as a trainer, but I disagree with her policy on crates (of course). I use a crate all the time.

·
Banned
2,306 Posts
Was that the one where the guy actually broke down and cried after she left? And the dogs ran in and gave him a ton of kisses? (So much for big bad Pit Bulls.
) I didn't see the whole episode, I turned it on right before she left the guy. I thought the dogs needed crates and a prong too.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Her show is a farse. Too bad, because she can be pretty easy on the eyes.

She has no consistent method that I've been able to determine. One day she's all about clickers, the next it's head halters, etc. They obviously screen their prospective cases based primarily on how weird and disfunctional the people are, not how the dogs are. It's like they march them right from the set of Judge Judy to It's Me Or The Dog.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Originally Posted By: LedZepShe has no consistent method that I've been able to determine. One day she's all about clickers, the next it's head halters, etc.
My take is that she just uses whatever she thinks is best for the dog in particular.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I don't like her show. I rather watch Cesar Milan. He's better in my opinion. I love the episode where he had to hang the dog because the dog was going on him. The dog got him a few times. Great episode. I'll try to track it down and post it.

Mark

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Originally Posted By: LedZepMy take is that she just uses whatever she thinks is best for the dog in particular.
Yup, that's what I think, too. Not every method works for every dog. She's open minded enough to take that into consideration and pick a method she feels will work for each specific dog.

·
Registered
31,877 Posts
I was watching this last night, and I kept turning it because it looked like she was trying to be a match maker.

No way would I bring my dog over to someone's house if the dogs are incompatible.

The idea that we sit outside at a cafe with our dog to get a date is kind of foreign to me too. Maybe that is because I live in the snow belt and when it is not snowing it is raining.

I guess if I ever start dating, I have to find someone who LOVES dogs but doesn't have any, 'cause I have enough.

I think as a dog trainer you have to use different stuff with different dogs and with different owners and with different environments. Trainers who have one method of dealing with a behavior won't get very far, more because people are so varied that dogs are.

The dude with the little poodle that didn't like men, I dunno. I think she realized that the owner (the woman) wasn't going to disallow the dog to be on the bed. So she decided that the owner's husband, could treat the dog to get into his own bed!

I am sorry. I do not eat in my bed, I'll be damned if my dogs eat in my bed. Well, sometimes they do pull a bone up there, but giving them treats to get in your bed??? These were the weirdows with a son and a daughter who took in a dog where the rescue said the dog doesn't like males. Huh??? So they buy the dog for their son, and then for three years they let the dog act like a little terrorist. And the let the son shoot the dog with rubber bands.

It is worse than Judge Judy, it is like Geraldo, where they dredge up people who cheat on their wives with their wife's mother.

I do not necessarily think it is a farce, I just think they find the most screwed up people in the universe to show on there.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts