German Shepherds Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
I wonder what would happen if some of the rescues got together with military bases and requested assistance with fostering. Wouldn't that be a win/win solution?

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
i've noticed a great deal more animals being in need of homes in military areas as well. I couldnt fathom leaving my dogs and cats every time we move. I mean we bought a freaking van so everyone is comfortable on long trips and duty station changes! I am NOT a van person. I'm an SUV/Truck person but i bought a van because the dogs have enough space to lay down and the cats when we move will be able to at least move around if we decide they're okay to be let out of the carriers in the car. I mean i'm checking in a couple times a day with our friend who is watching our cats while we're out here in CO. I hate reading posts of "oh we just got orders and have to rehome our beloved pet(s) because there simply isnt room in the car" or the famous " our dog is REALLY well behaved and is just great but i'm pregnant and hubby is gone all day and well.... i just cant handle our well trained, well behaved, never cause any trouble dog." If you actually have a legit reason for needing to rehome thats fine but just being lazy about it is not legit. I was pregnant TWICE both times hubby was either at boot camp or he was deployed and i handled two dogs AT A DOG PARK and two cats with NO problems and literally no help. and i did it all over again the second pregnancy. Despite living with my inlaws both times, my animals MY responsibility and everyone survived just fine.

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
See, I don't think there should be a BAN on military adopting at the shelters. Not every family ditches, thats stereotyping. It's like saying, all people who were born of a certain nationality can't adopt because they ditch their animals. I have NEVER ditched any of my animals. EVER!!

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
See, I don't think there should be a BAN on military adopting at the shelters. Not every family ditches, thats stereotyping. It's like saying, all people who were born of a certain nationality can't adopt because they ditch their animals. I have NEVER ditched any of my animals. EVER!!

exactly. rehoming if there is a clash in the house and rotating is too much is understandable. rehoming due to pure laziness is not. I mean what do they do if they have kids?!

·
Super Moderator
21,368 Posts
I see that on CL here as well, we have the coast guard and navy bases about 15 minutes from me. The HS here will not adopt out to military families..I certainly know not all military families are animal dumpers, but I don't know how the HS could possibly determine who is and who isn't. So their policy is to dna military.

Unfortunately I am constantly seeing CL ads, for rehoming military animals, or they leave them and someone has taken them in need to find a home..Sad sad:(

·
Banned
8,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
See, I don't think there should be a BAN on military adopting at the shelters. Not every family ditches, thats stereotypin. It's like saying, all people who were born of a certain nationality can't adopt because they ditch their animals. I have NEVER ditched any of my animals. EVER!!
Yes, not all of them are like that. Heck, we are military families ourselves and don't ditch them and take the toll of whatever it costs to take them with us. If hubby got orders to Korea, I'd probably stay behind because we couldn't take them with us or maybe go via Guardian Angels for Soldiers Pets and hope that they could help us to foster one or two or possibly even find somebody on here who would maybe open a door to foster one of them until we got back.

There is always a way and just no excuse to wait until the last minute. It's all about responsibility and it seems like that people don't take any responsibility for their actions anymore.

Suing McDonalds over toys, suing Nutella because their hazelnut-chocolate creme isn't healthy, getting divorced over frickin facebook because they don't want to work it out... dumping pets...

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
Yes, not all of them are like that. Heck, we are military families ourselves and don't ditch them and take the toll of whatever it costs to take them with us. If hubby got orders to Korea, I'd probably stay behind because we couldn't take them with us or maybe go via Guardian Angels for Soldiers Pets and hope that they could help us to foster one or two or possibly even find somebody on here who would maybe open a door to foster one of them until we got back.

There is always a way and just no excuse to wait until the last minute. It's all about responsibility and it seems like that people don't take any responsibility for their actions anymore.

Suing McDonalds over toys, suing Nutella because their hazelnut-chocolate creme isn't healthy, getting divorced over frickin facebook because they don't want to work it out... dumping pets...
:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

·
Premium Member
11,133 Posts
I was approached by a college senior in ROTC a couple of years ago as he was looking for a good GSD and I had an upcoming litter - I was very very hesitant as he was still in college, and he was going to be traveling....but one of his best friends is my boss' nephew.... so I spent ALOT of time getting to know him as the litter grew - 3-5 of their group would visit me and we would take all the pups to a field I exercise them in...He was very responsible, and I met his parents, who agreed that if he could not keep his pup on base/housing, she would stay with them! Hurricane (owner is an AF lieutenant) has more air miles than I do I think as it did take awhile for him to be permitted to get off base housing and now has lived in a couple of states and I think he spent a long period of time somewhere odd where it was better for her to go home to family....and then his parents also ended up with littermate Havana because they wanted a dog as well!

I would normally be wary of military members because of the nature of their lifestyle, but this was a very special situation and I was confident that I would not loose track of Hurricane and that she would be cared for as well as any dog could be.

Lee

·
Registered
85 Posts
Honestly, I think half the time it's just an excuse they use and not the true reason they are seeking to be rid of the pet. Using the 'military card' to evoke special sympathy, consideration, etc is done all too often (my husband just retired after 20+ years of service in the USMC and very few people in my day to day life even knew he was a military member -- others wear the "military family" title like a badge of entitlement). I see just as many people dumping pets due to reasons such as "new baby on the way", etc. A dedicated pet owner would make the proper arrangements to take the pet with them - those who are not doing so and blaming it on the military are just not willing to put the effort into it. We have had pets for the entire length of our marriage and not taking them with us for each move was never even a thought.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Honestly, I think half the time it's just an excuse they use and not the true reason they are seeking to be rid of the pet. Using the 'military card' to evoke special sympathy, consideration, etc is done all too often (my husband just retired after 20+ years of service in the USMC and very few people in my day to day life even knew he was a military member -- others wear the "military family" title like a badge of entitlement). I see just as many people dumping pets due to reasons such as "new baby on the way", etc. A dedicated pet owner would make the proper arrangements to take the pet with them - those who are not doing so and blaming it on the military are just not willing to put the effort into it. We have had pets for the entire length of our marriage and not taking them with us for each move was never even a thought.
I agree, I live in a military town and I think many of the ads use this as a quick excuse or fast getaway( blame free). I got Sasha off craigslist, from a military couple. She told me that they had extra money while her husband was at war. When he came back home that war pay was gone and that was the money they had allocated to feed/care for Sasha.
I offered to help pay for her to be spayed and help them out, but the owners refused. So I took Sasha home, it has been a bumpy road. She was like a feral dog in the house, we had to start from scratch with her.
I still feel this family just wanted her gone so they could get a new puppy.

I use to be a rental manager and I can't tell you how many times I have found pets left at the homes. Almost all of them were from military families.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts