German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's getting well into the 100s. Since my dogs are going to be outside for another 2 weeks or so here's what I do to keep them cool:
-they've an AC'd shed which they do use alternatingly
-I move Smokey especially out of the sun if I feel he's been in a hot spot too long (I don't understand why he loves to sunbathe in the hottest part of the yard)
-the water from the hose is warm so I mix ice into it and change it often
-the sprinklers get turned on once a day and we soak the ground and the grass
-they've got plenty of shade...

I've a question. I've read that keeping a dog wet isn't a good way to keep them cool because it hinders their double coat from absorbing heat. I don't understand the physics behind this but is it true? I debate about whether I should hose them down or not...

Also, do you have other suggestions for me to keep them cool? I don't think those cooling vests will work for them...they seem acclimated right now but when it gets hotter we may have to crate them inside the house during the hot of the day...

The other day Zeeva saw a lizard (I think) and she began looking for it so desperately I think she overheated. She was drooling and seemed disorriented. I brought her in, poured water on her belly and tried to calm her down. It was scary. She gets overexcited and then overstimulated which in this heat is so dangerous...but hopefully it won't happen again. They both bum around all day except for the occasional bark from Zeeva...

·
Registered
51 Posts
Here in Africa & Egypt we simply keep our dogs inside it can get to about 45 cel no idea how that compares to you but from observation all dogs seem to hide from heat (even if strays) somewhere dark and they like to sleep on the tiles.

Have you considered putting tiles in your shed or making another area with tiles and simply placing a fan in front of it? From observations my dogs sleep close to the fan indoors, we do not put the air con on as we are used to the heat.

What about pop bottles filled with frozen water placed in buckets or simply placed around where they sleep?

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
I've never heard that about hosing them down. A couple of sites I just looked at mention it as a good way to cool them...maybe it's best to start with the belly?

I like all of your ideas. My Skada Bear (RIP) had an A/C unit in his doghouse out in his run years ago in Dallas! He loved it :)

Here is a shot of my Jack beating the heat between rounds of fetch this summer:

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
I'm just going to guess here, but I'm going to assume that watering them down would only work if they have a constant source of cool water to sit in, such as a pool.
If you just hose them down, their body heat and surrounding air would heat the water and not aid in cooling them at all. (That's just what I would assume). I'm going by how I can jump in a pool with clothes on, get out and be cool for a little bit, but then be hot again in no time in my still-sopping wet clothes.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
ChillSpot | Get ChillSpot

I've seen this, but haven't tried it. I think it may be to small for a GSD....I like the concept though.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Did you move away form Illinois? It wasnt hot like that this week?
Lol yes I moved to Las Vegas for a few weeks with my parents. They don't want my dogs inside the house unless the pups are crated...

I'll be moving into our own place in California in a little over 2 weeks...

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Lol yes I moved to Las Vegas for a few weeks with my parents. They don't want my dogs inside the house unless the pups are crated...

I'll be moving into our own place in California in a little over 2 weeks...
Where in California? Orange County ? Over the border? Lake Tahoe?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

1 - 8 of 8 Posts