German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the first time ever a person with a small dog ( shih tzu) picked it up as soon as she saw Josie. Although she did want to jump ahead of me to say hi to the dog. I had to pull her back into a heel position. I even tried to explain that the little dog is a good distraction for her right now. She held onto her shih tzu so tight too and Josie was just sitting there after i pulled her back.

Thought it was a funny thing to see....Wow Josie you're already becoming a scary monster!

Pretty impressive that a 70 pound dog did not drag little ol me down to the ground!. I stood like a tree and hung on tight. Gave a pop and she returned to my side.

Its really nice out and everyone is coming out of hibernation so lots of dogs are out walking with their owner. This is exactly what Josie need. More distractions other than pet stores and training.

·
Registered
24 Posts
lol get used to it. Even with my Black lab heeling perfectly. I find Little dogs getting picked up and people flee across busy streets to save themselves. I used to find it annoying and it even ticked me off a bit but I've come to relize that its just fear they have and my dogs already being socialized well it doesnt bother me people dont come over and say ****. In fact Its a better walk for me without interuptions.

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
I brought in my GSD this evening and my (visiting) father snatched up his poodle as we headed to the kennel. My dad said he is afraid his poodle will get bitten by my young GSD. I told my dad that Hondo has no aggression towards his poodle. I am just concerned that he will apply is infamous paw thump on dad's poodle.:paw::eek:

·
Registered
234 Posts
You will find most people will yield to you. I walk two GSDs and find most people do avoid me. Be very careful of people who walk quickly up to you, you will find these people are nut jobs and the GSD will sense that. People who know dogs will approach slowly and ask you about your dog. Those are the people to work with. Kids are another story you have to play by ear. One day i was swamped by about ten kids, all very young and did not known how to approach dogs. One of my dogs was very friendly, so she stayed on a loose leash. The other was a young and a bit nervous, so I put an arm around her and started to talk to the kids about dogs and what they should do when they meet a strange dog.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
haha its all down hill from here! I remember the first time someone did that to Baya I was shocked, now I kinda chuckle, she loves dogs, esp little dogs. We went around an isle at petsmart and there was a little chi somthign or other right around the corner, the owner gasped and jerked the little dog clear to the other side of her in less than 2 seconds, I was impresed :D Baya just wanted to say hi, but I guess they thought the big scary gsd w/her ears down and body wagging was going to swallow the dog whole. *sigh* what can you do, I find those ppl are always going to be scared of somthing.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You will find most people will yield to you. I walk two GSDs and find most people do avoid me. Be very careful of people who walk quickly up to you, you will find these people are nut jobs and the GSD will sense that. People who know dogs will approach slowly and ask you about your dog. Those are the people to work with. Kids are another story you have to play by ear. One day i was swamped by about ten kids, all very young and did not known how to approach dogs. One of my dogs was very friendly, so she stayed on a loose leash. The other was a young and a bit nervous, so I put an arm around her and started to talk to the kids about dogs and what they should do when they meet a strange dog.
I have noticed already that a couple people have approached slowly asking about Josie. I would have her give them a paw as a hand shake and they always get the kick out of that. I do find that having her do tricks for them eases them up alittle.

Definately will keep my eyes and ears open for the morons out there that you've mentioned :).

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
I have noticed already that a couple people have approached slowly asking about Josie. I would have her give them a paw as a hand shake and they always get the kick out of that. I do find that having her do tricks for them eases them up alittle.

Definately will keep my eyes and ears open for the morons out there that you've mentioned :).
I have to do this with Frag all the time. We'll be in a petstore and someone will give me that look, like, keep the **** away, that dog will kill me, why would you own him, etc, etc. And I'll just making him high five me, followed by a "bang" and usually that lifts their spirits for some reason. Most people approach after that and ask about him. Of course, there are also that people that are weird and I tell him to sit when they walk by and are like "WOW that dog listens really well, what is he, like 4?" when all he did was listen to a simple sit command and he's only 6mos. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'd rather people pick up their bratty little dogs and avoid us instead of letting them charge at Dooku.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
your dog jumped ahead of you to say hello to the
little dog. the person with the small dog doesn't know what your dogs
intentions are. they were correct in picking up their dog.

you did the right thing by trying to work with the distraction.
continue to be a good ambassador for our breed.

For the first time ever a person with a small dog ( shih tzu) picked it up as soon as she saw Josie. Although she did want to jump ahead of me to say hi to the dog. I had to pull her back into a heel position. I even tried to explain that the little dog is a good distraction for her right now. She held onto her shih tzu so tight too and Josie was just sitting there after i pulled her back.

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
I pick my little one up any time I see a big dog coming who shows anything more than "Oh, look *yawn* another dog.." ONE bite from a big dog could end my dog. And dogs seem to be less interested in small dogs who are being held.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
I don't really blame them when their dog would fit in a German Shepherd's mouth...it is natural to be wary.
Of course Bianca's best friend in her last training class was the smallest dog in the class, a long-haired Chihuahua who was nervous of the other dogs because they were all young, large and rambunctious. Bianca being more laid back was just her speed LOL.

·
Registered
18,371 Posts
I can understand why folks would pick up small dogs. Even if my big dog was not aggressive with other dogs and only wanted to play, the big dog can inadvertently injure the small dog in play.

I simply ignore it anymore.

But the more you work with Josie the better she will be and she will be a good ambassador.

Just one little thing...... when you see the small dog or person or whatever coming your way, be procative and give her a command to do something other than pull ahead of you to visit. Would rather give my dogs a task to reward than allow a behavior to start I feel like I need to correct.

·
Registered
5,077 Posts
Yes, get used to it. There are no neutral opinions on the GSD, people either fear them or love them. Frankly I get 10 compliments to every one fear reaction though, Paige is quite the wonderment.

·
Registered
262 Posts
When its a little pissed off yorkie ready to charge, please do pick it up. I guess I can understand the fear of big dogs from a lot of people. However, I also get far more compliments than negative reactions! Sooo many people have said what great looking dogs they are and how much they admire this breed. So keeping the little ankle biters safe doesn't really bother me.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I can understand why folks would pick up small dogs. Even if my big dog was not aggressive with other dogs and only wanted to play, the big dog can inadvertently injure the small dog in play.

I simply ignore it anymore.

But the more you work with Josie the better she will be and she will be a good ambassador.

Just one little thing...... when you see the small dog or person or whatever coming your way, be procative and give her a command to do something other than pull ahead of you to visit. Would rather give my dogs a task to reward than allow a behavior to start I feel like I need to correct.
I guess when the woman was walking towards me from a distance i was looking down on Josie because i knew what she was going to do. She may have read my energy where i started to tense up while i try to pepare her. All i said was "leave it". But as soon as the woman got close she jumped ahead.

I will try making her sit next time when someone passes and have her do something :).

I guess I can understand why the lady picked up her little dog. Heck before i got Josie I used to pick up my sheltie every time i saw a loose dog.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Maybe their dog has issues with charging/barking at dogs passing. It may not have been about your dog at all.

If I was an owner of a small dog I would be inclined to protect him/her around big dogs too.

You just don't know what/who you are dealing with. I'd rather insult someome than to take another course of action and say "I wish I'd......."

·
Registered
18,371 Posts
Just for another FYI.... If you consistently tense up when a dog approaches and then correct your dog by pulling it back everytime you see an approaching dog eventaully the very smart GSD will equate the oncoming dog with correction and different behavior from you. That is how the reactive dog is developed.

Smile, stay loose and up beat and train a behavior inconsistent with the pulling ahead and you have control of a confident well behaved dog instead of butt head lunger.

Then Josie is a wonderful breed ambassador and not the dog everyone avoids. :)

·
Registered
656 Posts
I got a lot less of that reaction when I just had Hope, now with 2 I get it more. But Hope had already met most of the dogs large or small around the neighborhood.

I have received more apologies from owners of little dogs that bit Hope in the face or were overly aggressive when she went to sniff and lick their face than I have given apologies, which is always just for her being so eager to meet other dogs and lunging to get to them sometimes. She never so much as lifts a lip back at them though.

Even had one little dachshund slip it's collar after the woman passed and run back for another bite at Hope, boy was she apologetic.

So don't underestimate how many people pick up their small dogs because they know little fluffy is not under control, is aggressive, and might bite off more than it can chew with a big dog.

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
your dog jumped ahead of you to say hello to the
little dog. the person with the small dog doesn't know what your dogs
intentions are. they were correct in picking up their dog.
My thoughts exactly. I have four Shepherds, and can honestly say I don't remember anyone ever having to pick their dog up for fear of one of mine (and I'm out and about with them quite a bit). If I had a little dog, and a large dog lunged at him that I did not know, I would retreat or pick the little one up too. What you may perceive or recognize as play or excitement behavior in your shepherd the other owner doesn't see or recognize. Rememeber that other people do not know your dog, and can not assume he is friendly and well trained, because many dogs aren't socialized or properly trained.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts