German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is my Intro post:
http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/introductions-welcome-mat/147223-new-beginning.html

THE POSITIVE side:
Well it's already 2 weeks that I have Sonia. She seems to already made herself at home and quickly learned how to use her crate and also basics sit, and down commends. She also learned how to pull the leash off the door handle when she wants to go potty outside... I can't really describe how exciting I am on her fast improvements.

The NEGATIVE side: (REALLY Really afraid...)

Okay well after she learn how to pull the leash off the door handle, she been doing this now every 15 to 30 minutes, constantly. I figured she just wanted to be released outside even after she did go potty.. But NOO, I noticed she keeps going outside to pee. HHmmm, I also noticed she started drinking Alot AND alot of water for the past 3 days but couldn't figure out why, unless her food/treats were salty.

Well yesterday, I finally visited my Vet after he return from his vacation, and this was my first vet visit for Sonia. He examined her and said she looks great and everything sounds great on her. He also took blood, urine and spool sample to understand why she's been drinking a lot.

He Finally called TODAY, and said the Blood work showed great result and nothing to worry about. The spool was also clean and no worms or other unwanted signs. HOWEVER, THE URINE, had some "WHITE CELLS". He said that Sonia got a minor urinary infection.:confused:

He said that I shouldn't really be afraid and it should go away quickly.. He prescribed her Med, "CLAVAMOX 250mg" two pills a day, one in the AM and PM for 2 weeks..

I Just want to know if I should be Worried, AND has anybody went through this before? and is there other approach to solving this problem.?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Vet said, she got this Infection because her vulva is hidden and the area is really hairy and after she pees, the area might still be wet. He gave me wipes to clean her after she comes back from outside, and he did say that the vulva will take its time to properly set in the right position.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it. My Uschi had 2 UTI's and 2 bouts of vaginitis. But she is good to go now and we haven't had any more problems. :D

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
My puppy had a penis shaft infection when he was 7 weeks old. Talk about fun! Had to insert the medication into the shaft and massage it. I knew way too much about my pup's privates than I needed to. LOL same issue, did not dry off and got damp and caused the infection. However, after months of treating it, did not go away until I got him nuetered.

·
Registered
485 Posts
The Vet said, she got this Infection because her vulva is hidden and the area is really hairy and after she pees, the area might still be wet. He gave me wipes to clean her after she comes back from outside, and he did say that the vulva will take its time to properly set in the right position.

My friend's lab has this problem and she is 2. She just got a bunch of cheap face cloths and gives her a wipe with a wet face cloth every time she comes in. She also has to do a deeper clean once a day, as she was getting infections in the vulva. Ultimately it isn't that big of a deal though, now that she knows what it is.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How long would u guys think this infection is going to last.. The vet got me Medication for only 2 weeks until I run another urine test.

·
Registered
24,301 Posts
That sounds right - you will retest and see if it's better or if she needs more meds.

Also - sometimes they come back!

You caught it though and you get a star for that! The Clavamox works great. You can also supplement with some Cranberry - I do not know a great product to recommend for it, but hoping someone else will.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That sounds right - you will retest and see if it's better or if she needs more meds.

Also - sometimes they come back!

You caught it though and you get a star for that! The Clavamox works great. You can also supplement with some Cranberry - I do not know a great product to recommend for it, but hoping someone else will.
cranberry to eat or drink? I was thinking of something like that myself.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
I've been giving my dog the Solid Gold Berry Balance supplement. I mix it with a generous teaspoon of yogurt and my dog loves it.

You don't want to give her cranberry juice because of the sugars.

·
Registered
31,979 Posts
There are cranberry tablets (vitamin section) you can use.

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
There are cranberry tablets (vitamin section) you can use.
I use Aspen Cranberry tabs - they also contain Vit C and a few herbs. Can be purchased from www.b-naturals.com Or call the manufacturer for a distributor 1-888-2ASPEN -1.......

Anja SchH3 GSD
Conor GSD
Blue BH WH T1 GSD - waiting at the Bridge :angel:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts