German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some of you may know that we rescued Gunner almost a year ago and his history was unknown. Over the months we have learned that Gunner is a runner, so he is never outside without being in a fence or on the leash.

Sunday afternoon, the BF put Gunner in his kennel and zip tied the kennel shut ( he always finds a way out and zip ties seem to work ) so we could go to the grocery store. Once we got back, I went to open the screen door and make it to where it would stay open then unlocked the door. I turned around and started walking back to the trunk to help grab bags and in split second Gunner was outside in the neighbors grass, sniffing everything of course. I hurried my way towards him calling his name and we both met each other, even though he was more worried about the smells than me.

I was sooo proud of him for not running! He did somehow get out of the kennel which was not good, and found the open bag of peanut m & ms on the table. He wasted almost half the bag on the floor and hid another bag of candy in the couch cushion BUT HE DID NOT RUN!!!

Of course I don't totally trust him but just happy he knows that our house is his home and we are his family. :)

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Way to go Gunner! Well except for the M and M's ...lol. I love hearing about him. He sounds like a fun dog to own.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Way to go Gunner!

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Way to go Gunner! Well except for the M and M's ...lol. I love hearing about him. He sounds like a fun dog to own.
He put me in a tough spot because how do I punish him for getting out of his kennel and wasting M & M's ( I don't think he ate any because they were all over the floor, one would think the bag would be licked clean and none on the floor ) and not running! lol

We said ' bad boy ' and pointed to the candy, which he knew he was in the wrong but after a while I kept hugging him and whispering ' good boy for not running ' :)

He is one big goof ball - if you would like, you could borrow him for a day :)

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
I would love to have him and I' ll hide the candy in my house, he he

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
I don't know that I would have punished him. I think not.

You don't want to send mixed signals, which in this case there is no way you can't. No punishment for not running away, and no punishment for the M&M's or getting out.

I'd just say Good Boy! and leave it at that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts