German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Use Athena's tug to build drive ,then when she's powered up use the rope under the left arm to help her with focus heel. Then drop the rope to her. Plus it'll help her with bite work. Problem is I never got the memo to not get my clothes or myself bitten while she's super charged. I think maybe she gets a little too charged. Either that or I am a little too slow.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Aaaaahhhh. The joys of puppyhood! Murph was a nightmare--I had holes in all of my clothes, too. Just from taking him outside to potty. Absolutely everything was a tug. He had no off switch.

Raff is a dream puppy. He's a rockstar at the club but he's very easy to handle at home. He has plenty of drive, but he redirects pretty easily. He does get bitey when he's tired, he'll go for your leg. But, that just means it's time for the crate.

For all of his drive and energy, Murph washed right out of IPO. So, go figure.

·
Registered
533 Posts
lol I feel your pain. When my puppy was young I'd wear insulated coveralls and that way it wouldn't hurt so bad if she missed. She's really good at targeting now, hardly ever misses the toy.

·
Premium Member
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Aaaaahhhh. The joys of puppyhood! Murph was a nightmare--I had holes in all of my clothes, too. Just from taking him outside to potty. Absolutely everything was a tug. He had no off switch.

Raff is a dream puppy. He's a rockstar at the club but he's very easy to handle at home. He has plenty of drive, but he redirects pretty easily. He does get bitey when he's tired, he'll go for your leg. But, that just means it's time for the crate.

For all of his drive and energy, Murph washed right out of IPO. So, go figure.
Washed out? Too much energy or what.

·
Premium Member
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'll confess...I laughed at the title of your thread before I even saw what it was about.

OUCH!!

On the bright side...at least she's...enthusiastic?! :D
She definitely has that. The time she got skin I checked to make sure it wasn't missing chunks like it felt like. She just went into a down and looked at me like "suck it up wussy, let's go".

·
Premium Member
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
lol I feel your pain. When my puppy was young I'd wear insulated coveralls and that way it wouldn't hurt so bad if she missed. She's really good at targeting now, hardly ever misses the toy.
I was waving it all around so she couldn't get it. Building her want for it to an almost intolerable state. So it was kind of my fault.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Lol, my clothes look the same after trimming Zoe's nails.
You do your own nail trims?! For the love of Pete, WHY? The vet or groomer will do it for ten bucks.

Never have I attempted such madness. The dark toenails especially worry me, it would be to easy to cut into the quick.

Raff just had his very first mani ped at the vet's. Let him get used to it now.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Washed out? Too much energy or what.
All that drive and energy he showed at home evaporated on the field. He had zero interest in bite work. He hated even being there--he showed pure avoidance.

He liked tracking, but he was way too hectic.

Obedience--well, he's two and a half now and my husband has him trained to walk on a leash--as long as there are no distractions. He broke my shoulder in two places last summer when he decided to give me a good yank. He was in a prong. He is, hands down, the most difficult dog I've ever trained. Fortunately, he has no aggression issues, so he's going to live out his days as hubby's pet.

He also has bad hips, which could explain the avoidance, but I don't think so. He's very active at home.

He's well bred and well socialized, just something of a lemon. Hubby is very attached to him, so he's fine. The universe has made it all up to me via Raff.

·
Premium Member
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Apollo is kind of like that. He's a pistol at home. He's fine in big R, lowe's, home Depot, etc.... But at club last week he acted like he was a nervous wreck. I took him in prior to start so everyone could meet him but he was like no thanks. Total avoidance. So during obedience I went out and grabbed Athena took her through and took her out. When I put her up Apollo acted like he was dying to get out so I took him back in. He was better this time but not totally comfortable. So we'll see how he does in the next couple weeks. Although his obedience is pretty good.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Apollo is kind of like that. He's a pistol at home. He's fine in big R, lowe's, home Depot, etc.... But at club last week he acted like he was a nervous wreck. I took him in prior to start so everyone could meet him but he was like no thanks. Total avoidance. So during obedience I went out and grabbed Athena took her through and took her out. When I put her up Apollo acted like he was dying to get out so I took him back in. He was better this time but not totally comfortable. So we'll see how he does in the next couple weeks. Although his obedience is pretty good.
Interesting. How old is Apollo? I'd be interested in following his progress in IPO. How old was he when you started training?

Murph's odd in so many ways. We've taken him to private K9 trainers for help with his obedience. He was very pushy with them, even a bit of a bully. Of course, it didn't work--those guys work with a lot tougher dogs than Murph. But, he's not at all nervous. His falling out of drive is definitely not a nerve issue.

He's insane for Kong and if I can't fire him up with a Kong, something is really wrong.

·
Premium Member
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Interesting. How old is Apollo? I'd be interested in following his progress in IPO. How old was he when you started training?

Murph's odd in so many ways. We've taken him to private K9 trainers for help with his obedience. He was very pushy with them, even a bit of a bully. Of course, it didn't work--those guys work with a lot tougher dogs than Murph. But, he's not at all nervous. His falling out of drive is definitely not a nerve issue.

He's insane for Kong and if I can't fire him up with a Kong, something is really wrong.
Apollo is 8 months old. We started basic obedience when I got him at about 11-12 weeks. Just basic stuff. Sit, stay, down, etc... I just got into IPO or wanting to do any advanced stuff a couple months ago. So as far as focused heel etc... that's all new to us.
He's definitely not nearly as confident or hard as Athena. He's handler sensitive. In every way possible he is still a 75# baby. He just seems so mentally behind for an 8 month old dog that I don't know.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Apollo is 8 months old. We started basic obedience when I got him at about 11-12 weeks. Just basic stuff. Sit, stay, down, etc... I just got into IPO or wanting to do any advanced stuff a couple months ago. So as far as focused heel etc... that's all new to us.
He's definitely not nearly as confident or hard as Athena. He's handler sensitive. In every way possible he is still a 75# baby. He just seems so mentally behind for an 8 month old dog that I don't know.
I had a WGWL male who was super handler sensitive. He got it via his dam. He was also slow to mature. Had great retrieve drive, though, really imprinted on Kong.

At eight months, we were convinced he was just slow.

By magic, he blossomed at eighteen months into the most handsome, powerful, focused, obedient, drivey dog you could ever hope to meet.

He maintained that handler softness through his entire short life. Soft to the handler, hard to the man--good combo. He was also very clear headed.

His entire litter was extra sensitive. His breeder was happy with the pups, but had her reservations as to whether the pups were too sensitive.

So, sometimes time is your best ally. If your club is ok with it, keep bringing him out. But work all three phases. Even tracking is a confidence builder for the dog, as he learns to be comfortable working a bit away from you.

Either way it goes, Apollo will make you a better handler.

·
Super Moderator
4,739 Posts
My she-pup Chief is 16 months old and still nervous around the Training Director in our club. She was in a funky time before a heat when they tried to re-introduce her to bite work (we had been missing awhile) and all she could do is wonder why the heck they kept tossing the big smelly wet tug at her. It smelled like other dogs and it just confused her. The training director never did anything harsh or threatening. My pup simply didn't understand the game. But she still looks at him like, "oh crap, it's that guy". We are working to rebuild her trust in him so we can get her BH. But after that we will probably have to give up on getting her IPO1. Unless she suddenly "gets it" as she gets older. If not we'll focus on tracking and try some other sports.

So it will be good to see how your dog advances as well.

OH, and I really enjoyed this article by the Collared Scholar
http://www.collared-scholar.com/he-chose-me-a-thank-you-letter-to-my-dog/

·
Premium Member
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So when I say handler sensitive I am referring to.
How he acts while it's just him and myself training if I use a choke collar I have to be very easy with my corrections. Once I gave him a moderate correction and he started biting the leash. The rest of that session actually he tried keeping the leash in his mouth. So we cut it short. My tone of voice is enough to put him out of focus. If we're trying to learn something new and I get frustrated and he can tell he'll just go into a down and be like OK. I'm just gonna lay here.! So I have to take a couple breaths and reset myself. Walk away call him to me play tug for a few seconds and he's good to go again. I haven't even tried introducing his e-collar to him in a functioning way yet. I'll put it on him but never tried to actually use it. As far as learning he learns quickly responds well to food and toys. Has good drives. It's just his way above. And he has only been in two training facilities and was super shy in both. When we play I can get as rough as I want and he likes it. Actually the rougher I play the more he likes it. Does my description above fit handler sensitive or am I missing labeling it.
On the opposite side of things are Athena. Corrections don't phase her. New people don't phase her. Nothing seems to phase her. Sometimes especially with her e-collar it's hard to read if it's even working. She's never been in a place where she didn't show anything but total confidence. Ying and yang.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
So when I say handler sensitive I am referring to.
How he acts while it's just him and myself training if I use a choke collar I have to be very easy with my corrections. Once I gave him a moderate correction and he started biting the leash. The rest of that session actually he tried keeping the leash in his mouth. So we cut it short. My tone of voice is enough to put him out of focus. If we're trying to learn something new and I get frustrated and he can tell he'll just go into a down and be like OK. I'm just gonna lay here.! So I have to take a couple breaths and reset myself. Walk away call him to me play tug for a few seconds and he's good to go again. I haven't even tried introducing his e-collar to him in a functioning way yet. I'll put it on him but never tried to actually use it. As far as learning he learns quickly responds well to food and toys. Has good drives. It's just his way above. And he has only been in two training facilities and was super shy in both. When we play I can get as rough as I want and he likes it. Actually the rougher I play the more he likes it. Does my description above fit handler sensitive or am I missing labeling it.
On the opposite side of things are Athena. Corrections don't phase her. New people don't phase her. Nothing seems to phase her. Sometimes especially with her e-collar it's hard to read if it's even working. She's never been in a place where she didn't show anything but total confidence. Ying and yang.
Is your trainer going to help you with the e collar? You want to be careful with a sensitive dog. Use it only on the lowest setting at which you get a reaction.

Your club sounds very generous and supportive. At ours, if the dog showed no interest in the tug, the owner would be declined membership. We have the nicest, most helpful members imaginable, it's just a serious working club. So, thank your lucky stars on that one.

Honestly, if Apollo is that shy, he probably isn't cut out for IPO. But, you never know. There are late bloomers who wake up one day feeling their oats and wanting to rock and roll with the helper. In any case, training for the Bh is a wonderful experience for both of you.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts